theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Travel insurance recommendations (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1180297)

sophiepop 16 Sep 20 09:38 PM

Travel insurance recommendations

Does anyone have any good insurance recommendations? We always use Columbus Direct and our renewal is due at the end of September. They have a huge list of what is not covered for Covid but will cover if you get ill over there.

Has anyone noticed renewals going up? :wave:

SloanRangers 21 Sep 20 02:35 PM

I’ve just started looking for cover for our planned trip in Sept/Oct next year. We would have been in Florida now so our annual policy is still running but I’ve not needed to claim as everything has been either refunded or deferred to next year.
I’ll be looking at flights next month so would like to have a policy ready for when I pay the deposit. Just got a reasonable quote from Staysure and their website suggests both medical and cancellation due to COVID are covered providing FCO advice against travel is not in place for the travel dates. Never used them before but I know others on here have so would be interested in any views.

AL1S0N 21 Sep 20 07:04 PM

This is conversation I had with staysure...

landandword17 21 Sep 20 07:10 PM

I have travel insurance with Trailfinders which has good covid cover. Staysure seems to be the most popular policy here on the Dibb at the moment.

antietam 21 Sep 20 07:38 PM

Whats The Nationwide Flexplus Insurance Like?

SloanRangers 22 Sep 20 03:22 PM

I’m thinking of taking out a Staysure policy as they seem to have decent cover but wondered if anyone has had confirmation from them on booking while FCO advice is against travel to the USA? I have emailed them but am waiting for a reply.
Just don’t want to take it out only to find the policy is invalid if the advice is still the same next year once full balances have been paid...Obviously we would only travel if it was OK to do so but I’m not clear on whether the wording refers to the FCO position at date of travel or date of policy purchase.

Willeve 22 Sep 20 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloanRangers (Post 14655740)
I’m thinking of taking out a Staysure policy as they seem to have decent cover but wondered if anyone has had confirmation from them on booking while FCO advice is against travel to the USA? I have emailed them but am waiting for a reply.
Just don’t want to take it out only to find the policy is invalid if the advice is still the same next year once full balances have been paid...Obviously we would only travel if it was OK to do so but I’m not clear on whether the wording refers to the FCO position at date of travel or date of policy purchase.

I called them regarding this, she said you are NOT covered while FCO advice still stands, but WILL be covered once it is lifted. So I’m waiting to book insurance until it’s lifted.

SloanRangers 22 Sep 20 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willeve (Post 14655848)
I called them regarding this, she said you are NOT covered while FCO advice still stands, but WILL be covered once it is lifted. So I’m waiting to book insurance until it’s lifted.

Thank you. It’s interesting how this issue is being handled. I decided to ring them and the guy I spoke to said it’s the FCO advice in place when you travel that counts and it doesn’t matter what is in place when you buy the policy! So confusing...

steve30 22 Sep 20 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloanRangers (Post 14655914)
Thank you. It’s interesting how this issue is being handled. I decided to ring them and the guy I spoke to said it’s the FCO advice in place when you travel that counts and it doesn’t matter what is in place when you buy the policy! So confusing...

This was my understanding too. What they don’t cover under any circumstances is cancellation due to FCO advice not to travel at the time of travel.

mick 22 Sep 20 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloanRangers (Post 14655914)

My contribution for what it's worth. :grin:

Renewed annual policy with Staysure Comprehensive in early June.

No cover for any cancellation costs caused by Covid. Unlimited medical cover if we are ill abroad with Covid UNLESS we travel against FCO advice.

The FCO advice at the time of either insurance renewal or booking the holiday totally immaterial.

That's our policy anyway - could have changed in the last 3 months I suppose. Everything else seems to. :confused2

Mick