theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Minimum wage rise (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1206803)

Tinks2014 25 Oct 21 03:08 PM

Minimum wage rise

For those aged 23 it’s rising to £9.50 and those aged 21-22 it goes up to £9.18.
For those who are in lower paid jobs this is good news for a change .

Tracydcp 25 Oct 21 03:56 PM

Yes certainly good news 👍

sophiepop 25 Oct 21 05:17 PM

I am happy for people getting pay rises, they are lovely. But the knock on effect for some businesses could actually close them.

Moorlandman 25 Oct 21 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiepop (Post 15187817)
I am happy for people getting pay rises, they are lovely. But the knock on effect for some businesses could actually close them.

Better they close than having tax payers subsidising their staffs wages with tax credits

Sew109 25 Oct 21 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moorlandman (Post 15187871)
Better they close than having tax payers subsidising their staffs wages with tax credits

Guess you feel the same about furlough, covid grants etc..

Moorlandman 25 Oct 21 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew109 (Post 15187874)
Guess you feel the same about furlough, covid grants etc..

That was temporary. For the last 20 years businesses have benefited from the taxman supplementing very low wages. It cannot be right that someone working 40 hours a week still needs tax credits to survive.

Cloverlady 25 Oct 21 06:27 PM

What about those who have worked hard and had payrises and promotions (son's friend's girlfriend who works in a supermarket ) to earn just about that now.
That wipes out her advantage. :(
I guess there are loads in this position in the lower paid jobs who work bloomin' hard to try to go up the ranks and suddenly all the staff are at the same pay level.
I doubt companies are going to be able to afford to increase all of the promoted staff's wages to the same advantage it was before.
It's those I feel for.

Pumpkin Pie 25 Oct 21 06:33 PM

Won’t the rise in NI cancel the gains of this out somewhat?

megaflyer 25 Oct 21 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie (Post 15187888)
Won’t the rise in NI cancel the gains of this out somewhat?

Plus the predicted inflation of 5% by year end - it is great its being increased but will be cancelled out (unfortunately)

Pino_Spetzberg 25 Oct 21 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloverlady (Post 15187879)
That wipes out her advantage. :(
I guess there are loads in this position in the lower paid jobs who work bloomin' hard to try to go up the ranks and suddenly all the staff are at the same pay level.
I doubt companies are going to be able to afford to increase all of the promoted staff's wages to the same advantage it was before.
It's those I feel for.

If the advantage of 'moving up the ranks' is wiped out by a small increase in minimum wage, it's a tough realisation they have not really 'moved up the ranks' at all.
Slight pay rises for taking on extra responsibility or a heavier workload often turn out to be more imagined than real.

Keeping lowest paid workers on poverty pay to protect differentials belongs to the Victorian mill owners.