theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Accommodation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Games rooms in villas and heat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1136213)

Hopefulholiday 9 Jul 19 05:48 PM

Games rooms in villas and heat

Quick question, we’re currently in a villa and the games room is the converted garage...I think this is standard. Obviously it’s hot here at the moment and with the Air con unit creating heat in the games room it is stifling in there, so not really that useable as after 15 mins you just want to escape.
I was going to contact the management company and ask for a fan but haven’t got round to it and we leave tomorrow but would like to suggest in the feedback. I just wondered if all villas are like this as we’ve only hired a villa in December before so wouldn’t have been a problem.

MinniMouse 9 Jul 19 06:51 PM

I've never yet stayed in a villa with air con in the garage (even if converted to games room), however that's not to say it's not normal. The air con unit is usually in the garage. Is there a fan you can plug in? Or can you just keep the villa door to the games room open or are you not meant to do that?

mickey house 9 Jul 19 07:04 PM

I agree with Minniemouse we've never stayed in a villa with air con in the garage where the games room is.

RickT 9 Jul 19 07:05 PM

This is why we no longer have a games room as one of our must haves in villas.

Ov er the years we have come to the conclusion they are not worth it in the summer months, even with a fan in there its far too warm

Moorlandman 9 Jul 19 07:05 PM

Games rooms are unusable imo throughout the summer unless they have a/c

TGT 9 Jul 19 07:10 PM

We considered putting in 'proper' air con in our villa but were advised we would need building regs and to make it a "liveable" room with a window and exit door rather than a converted garage which would put the cost at thousands (the air con itself wouldn't be too bad) and so we've never done it.

We do have 2 ceiling fans and a large pedestal stand in the garage and have insulated the loft above which helps to a certain degree but some people are more heat tolerant than others, so it would be a shame not to offer a games room in the garage space.

EssexSue 9 Jul 19 07:42 PM

Depends which way it faces of course but that said we do have a plug in fan in garage despite it facing east.

Hopefulholiday 9 Jul 19 08:02 PM

Thanks all, that’s good to know. If we came again in the Summer I wouldn’t make a games room a requirement but then having experienced ‘Summer’ weather I wouldn’t visit again this time of year if I had a choice! :grin:

bighal 9 Jul 19 08:47 PM

We always just use any games rooms in the garage as a place to dry clothes.

DonnaD 9 Jul 19 10:18 PM

My garage does have A/C vents (and 2 pedestrian doors with windows). They aren't turned on though because with the uninsulated overhead door it would be very expensive to keep cool. I actually use it as a garage and was told by an energy consultant to block the vents to keep exhaust fumes out of the a/c system. He said it was very unusual to have the vents and said my house was probably a show house with a sales office in the garage.

Our old management company said people asked for games rooms but rarely used them. Definitely not ideal in summer months!