theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Skills you no longer need (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1203206)

Libby 6 Sep 21 06:49 PM

Skills you no longer need

What hard earned skills do you have that you no longer need?

Two I have are

Converting between decimal and predecimal money

Taking the foil tops off a milk bottle in one piece

What are yours?

Blue nose 6 Sep 21 06:53 PM

I know how many carrots/potatoes/apples are in a pound (weight) from my days selling fruit and veg.

Everything is prepacked these days.

Melanie R 6 Sep 21 06:56 PM

I know how to wire a plug 😊

ROBBOTOO 6 Sep 21 06:57 PM

O level maths. :pgig:

snowbelle 6 Sep 21 06:58 PM

O level Religious study …not sure I ever needed that one tbh !

ROBBOTOO 6 Sep 21 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie R (Post 15127066)
I know how to wire a plug 😊

One of the useful things they taught at our school.

marypoppins38 6 Sep 21 07:01 PM

Change a car tyre. I once got a complete puncture with my then very young children in the car in the pouring rain. I changed to the spare and drove to the garage dripping wet through. The mechanic asked who had changed it for me.:nonono: I almost launched him.:pgig:
When I passed my test at 17 my dad would not let me drive my car until I could change the tyre, check the pressure, refill the wiper fluid and check the oil.:d:

Blue nose 6 Sep 21 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 (Post 15127075)
Change a car tyre. I once got a complete puncture with my then very young children in the car in the pouring rain. I changed to the spare and drove to the garage dripping wet through. The mechanic asked who had changed it for me.:nonono: I almost launched him.:pgig:
When I passed my test at 17 my dad would not let me drive my car until I could change the tyre, check the pressure, refill the wiper fluid and check the oil.:d:

Me too. I can do all this. Thanks Dad 👍

Beth_Disney 6 Sep 21 07:10 PM

I know how to make suppositories, fold powders, compound creams, roll pills, etc. and do the associated chemical calculations. These get sent to a specials manufacturer nowadays so it’s a skill that doesn’t get used.

Libby 6 Sep 21 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 (Post 15127075)

I know how to do this, but when I needed to I couldn't loosen the nuts and had to call the RAC out :(