theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Car Hire & Transportation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Favourite Route (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1175743)

GMickeyB 30 Jun 20 10:52 AM

Favourite Route

What's everybody's favourite route from Sanford Airport driving down to Kissimmee/Disney/Lake Buena Vista areas?
And what do you all do re Tolls, pay cash, get a transponder, etc?

mick 30 Jun 20 10:59 AM

Where from? One of the airports maybe?

If it's MCO to Highgate Park for instance it's out of garage B on to the 417 south and leave at j3 on to the Osceola Parkway right through to Sherberth. Then 192 east as far as Formosa Gardens, Funie Steed Road, Westside Boulevard, Florence Villa Grove Road and straight over the 27. :grin:

Visitor Toll Pass is a no-brainer if they reintroduce it. Otherwise Alamo Sunpass is the best option or just pay cash. Never bought my own transponder.

Mick

chmurf 30 Jun 20 11:00 AM

to go to kissimmee, LBV, Disney, I'd say the south exit route out of the airport is the way to go (actually that's the one the DME use)

regarding tolls, we rent from alamo, they have the best toll scheme (cheapest ) you'll find all the info about this in the dibb guide with contributions by Mr Morrow and Mick

you can also choose to pay cash (no bills larger than $20) as the first toll is manned (IIRC, on both north and south routes)

getting a transponder may not be a wise idea, as I answered a few months back. You'd need to glue it to the windshield ... good luck peeling it off when you return the car (they are designed to avoid being peeled off/stolen)

GMickeyB 30 Jun 20 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 14556198)
Where from? One of the airports maybe?

If it's MCO to Highgate Park for instance it's out of garage B on to the 417 south and leave at j3 on to the Osceola Parkway right through to Sherberth. Then 192 east as far as Formosa Gardens, Funie Steed Road, Westside Boulevard, Florence Villa Grove Road and straight over the 27. :grin:

Visitor Toll Pass is a no-brainer if they reintroduce it. Otherwise Alamo Sunpass is the best option or just pay cash. Never bought my own transponder.

Mick

Ah sorry forgot to say from Sanford, will edit it now

mick 30 Jun 20 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chmurf (Post 14556200)
to go to kissimmee, LBV, Disney, I'd say the south exit route out of the airport is the way to go (actually that's the one the DME use)

regarding tolls, we rent from alamo, they have the best toll scheme (cheapest ) you'll find all the info about this in the dibb guide with contributions by Mr Morrow and Mick

you can also choose to pay cash (no bills larger than $20) as the first toll is manned (IIRC, on both north and south routes)

getting a transponder may not be a wise idea, as I answered a few months back. You'd need to glue it to the windshield ... good luck peeling it off when you return the car (they are designed to avoid being peeled off/stolen)

Beat you by one minute :pgig::pgig:

GMickeyB 30 Jun 20 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chmurf (Post 14556200)

Ah that's the transponder idea out then!

mick 30 Jun 20 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMickeyB (Post 14556201)
Ah sorry forgot to say from Sanford, will edit it now

Haven't flown into SFB since 2008 :confused2 but I'd still pick up 417 even though it's a toll road especially with the state of the I-4 in the downtown area.

Sadly you can't use the VTP from SFB :(

Mick

GMickeyB 30 Jun 20 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 14556206)
Haven't flown into SFB since 2008 :confused2 but I'd still pick up 417 even though it's a toll road especially with the state of the I-4 in the downtown area.

Sadly you can't use the VTP from SFB :(

Mick

Yeah the 417 looks the simplest, but has quite a few tolls to negotiate

mick 30 Jun 20 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMickeyB (Post 14556204)
Ah that's the transponder idea out then!

Some Avis cars may have a built in transponder but, on or off, they have no effect on Florida tolls. Sunpass will automatically enrol you anyway whichever car hire company.

You can buy a mini transponder from the likes of Publix but by the time you've found one you've probably gone through some tolls anyway.

Just be very wary of the Dollar Sunpass scheme :mad:

Mick

GMickeyB 30 Jun 20 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 14556214)
Some Avis cars may have a built in transponder but, on or off, they have no effect on Florida tolls. Sunpass will automatically enrol you anyway whichever car hire company.

You can buy a mini transponder from the likes of Publix but by the time you've found one you've probably gone through some tolls anyway.

Just be very wary of the Dollar Sunpass scheme :mad:

Mick

Oh it's Dollar I'm with :confused2