theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Orlando via Miami (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1179865)

LittleJohn 9 Sep 20 07:42 AM

Orlando via Miami

Hi
Does anyone have any experience of transit through Miami?
Easy? Clearing customs time etc?
Although it's only a short flight to Orlando from Miami it can bring up some good savings.
Thanks

bronny 9 Sep 20 08:23 AM

We haven’t transited through but flew in there last year. Immigration there was a breeze!

cornishfrogboy 9 Sep 20 08:40 AM

Never transited, but I have never had problems at Miami. Immigration has always been efficient. It is one of my preferred options in any case as I can then get my days of beach as I make my way towards Orlando.

NewtoOrlando 9 Sep 20 09:05 AM

We’ve never used Miami for a connecting flight but flown in there, stayed overnight at the beach and drove up to Orlando the next day, each time with no problems at all. Would rather fly there or Tampa than orlando in all honestly!

Lu Lu 9 Sep 20 10:07 AM

We used it for a connecting flight a few years ago. Immigration was quick and the flight is no time at all but we had technical issues with the plane so would have been quicker to drive!

Another thing I noticed is that Miami airport is really big so there is a lot of time taken to taxi to take off and then queue to take off (a bit like it is at Heathrow).

LittleJohn 9 Sep 20 02:35 PM

Thank you for all responses, very helpful. Have been finding flights to Orlando cheaper via Miami rather than just ending in Miami so was debating whether to fly rather than drive. Similar for Tampa too.

Missin_Disney 9 Sep 20 03:20 PM

We have flown into Miami our last 3 trips. One of them to connect to Orlando

With all 3 of them, immigration has been a breeze, in and out in less than 20 minutes

Connecting to Orlando was equally simple. Would use Miami to travel onto Orlando or to drive elsewhere especially as there seems to be a price benefit

TheHughesCrew 9 Sep 20 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleJohn (Post 14640505)
Thank you for all responses, very helpful. Have been finding flights to Orlando cheaper via Miami rather than just ending in Miami so was debating whether to fly rather than drive. Similar for Tampa too.

We found exactly this. It was cheaper to fly to Tampa, via Miami, than it was to fly directly into Miami on the same flight! Ideally, we still want to start our road trip in miami, but for the considerable savings we made, we're changing our itinerary!

popdriver 9 Sep 20 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleJohn (Post 14640071)
Hi
Does anyone have any experience of transit through Miami?
Easy? Clearing customs time etc?
Although it's only a short flight to Orlando from Miami it can bring up some good savings.
Thanks

WE have always faired better with Miami airport in terms of time & experience

SloanRangers 10 Sep 20 08:57 AM

Our outbound flight for this Sept was meant to be LHR-MIA-MCO as it was a lower fare than flying just into Miami and we’ll possibly look at this route again if we rebook for next year.
However, I’m still waiting for my refund after the internal MIA-MCO leg was cancelled. Apparently the indirect leg has meant the refund is more complicated and I’m now looking at potentially another 4 weeks for the refund to be processed manually (already been waiting 5 weeks) 🙄