theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Would you go on holiday between sons A Level results and starting Uni? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1060228)

Edie ray 6 Jan 18 06:10 PM

Would you go on holiday between sons A Level results and starting Uni?

Hi

Am looking to book this summers holiday soon to either Florida or California

We normally go as soon as the holidays start but now I've started looking, flights are literally half the price if we go on say 21/8 for 2 weeks

Now A level results come out on 16/8 and the uni he's looking at starts on 17th September

The question is could we fit a holiday in inbetween these dates or will everything be too mad sorting out uni stuff?

Thanks Edie :erm:

sam7 6 Jan 18 06:14 PM

We did, worked out brilliantly for us. Make sure you dont book to close to results incase he needs to do clearing. We got back a week before uni started, DD said it really helped her not get to anxious about going, she had access to email so could still sort stuff out (although accommodation and other major stuff was sorted before we went) and stay in touch with other students due to start with her via facebook and other social media sites

anniee 6 Jan 18 06:21 PM

If he has an unconditional then yes. However if he has a conditional I don't think I would. Clearing can take a lot of time and he may end up a different uni that starts earlier.

Macca04 6 Jan 18 06:21 PM

Yep, we did it years ago, get everything sorted before you go, have a ball then not long to wait for Uni what more could an 18 year old want 😁

Lisa123wm 6 Jan 18 07:56 PM

We probably would as it looks like my daughter is going to accept an unconditional offer for her original second choice (after looking into things, the course actually suits her better than her original first choice which is a conditional offer), but don’t think we would otherwise.

jellie 6 Jan 18 08:00 PM

We did it as well, dd had a week at home before starting uni, worked really well

duchy 6 Jan 18 08:02 PM

If he doesn't get his expected grades or changes his mind about which uni or course (it happens) then those weeks will be busy arranging new accomadation and may even have an earlier start so unless he has an unconditional place and is very sure of his choices then personally I wouldn't.
Suppose his grades were better than expected and he had a shot at an even better uni or course but needed an interview what would you do , for example ? You'd kick yourself at messing up his chances.
Oh remember Freshers is a week before the start of term too. He'd definitely miss out if he came back only for the start of term and arrived after everyone else starting.

Momofboys 6 Jan 18 09:52 PM

We did last year, collected A levels then went to Gatwick and flew the next morning, but he wasn't going away so we didn't have accommodation etc to sort.

soooexcited! 6 Jan 18 10:06 PM

If he has an unconditional offer then yes I would but if things don't go as planned or you need to make changes the answer would be no for me. DD applied for uni thro clearing on results day after saying she wasn't going. There was a heck of a lot to sort in that time. I had a week planned away with DS so I was still trying to ring round and sort stuff while we were away.

arosiem 7 Jan 18 02:05 PM

Being in my last year of uni - I’d say it’s absolutely fine to do so, as long as there’s internet and email access - and a quick IKEA trip before you jet off to get the essentials.
However I do agree with the poster above - if it means he would miss freshers week, then I wouldn’t. Freshers is essential and the time when you make friends, get to know your flatmates and generally have a load of fun before starting your course - freshers is definitely an experience that can’t be replaced!