theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Shopping in Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1146175)

JillyEd 19 Sep 19 01:03 AM

Shopping in Florida

Do you stick to the rules and only bring back $360 worth of stuff when you shop? We wanted to buy a new iPhone on top of the normal shopping we do here and that is more than the allowance, more than double. What do I have to do? :omg:

martyn321 19 Sep 19 02:29 AM

Get rid of he box and reciept and whos to say you didnt own it before you went out there. I doubt they are going to look into it that much, epecially if the phones in your pocket / hand bag on return.

scooby99 19 Sep 19 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyn321 (Post 14080243)
Get rid of he box and reciept and whos to say you didnt own it before you went out there. I doubt they are going to look into it that much, epecially if the phones in your pocket / hand bag on return.

I’m not commenting on what you or the OP should do; others are likely to be more knowledgeable on that.
However, re your comment that without a box or receipt, who’s to say ... ? The serial number will tell UK customs where it was bought.

The chances are you wouldn’t be stopped as UK customs tend to be more interested in flights arriving from other destinations; however, if you were & they questioned it, they don’t have to prove you bought it in the US; you have to prove that you didn’t!

DISNEYALI 19 Sep 19 05:34 AM

Be honest 4 years ago I went through the red Channel with with about £1,000 worth of goods bought in the USA they were not electrical goods. I was the only one there after, picking up the phone, a lady officer came out and asked why I was down the red Channel explained I have bought about £1,000 worth of goods in the USA she verbally checked what I had and waved me through.

wdw1991 19 Sep 19 06:32 AM

Me and DH have been pulled before and had all suitcases looked through (we weren’t over the allowance)

ERICSMUM 19 Sep 19 06:47 AM

The limit is £390 (unless it’s changed since 2016, the last time I went)

Mr Tom Morrow 19 Sep 19 06:59 AM

I very much doubt that between us we even hit £100!:erm:

That tends to be comprised of Aussie shampoo, tin foil, some sweets for the Grandchildren, herbs for cooking and other such sundries.:spin:

Is the saving that great for an iPhone? Doesn't it then need a UK plug when home at added cost?

disney332 19 Sep 19 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 14080357)
I very much doubt that between us we even hit £100!:erm:

That tends to be comprised of Aussie shampoo, tin foil, some sweets for the Grandchildren, herbs for cooking and other such sundries.:spin:

Is the saving that great for an iPhone? Doesn't it then need a UK plug when home at added cost?

We dont count, but jointly we are unlikely to exceed.

Whats with the tin foil Tom?

Disney332

Mr Tom Morrow 19 Sep 19 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disney332 (Post 14080362)
We dont count, but jointly we are unlikely to exceed.

Whats with the tin foil Tom?

Disney332

Ha ha. I'm not a fan of Walmart but they do huge rolls that are not only great quality but really cheap. A fraction of the price here.

I don't use much foil for cooking but both our Children do so we tend to bring them a roll each every trip.

Great Value Aluminum Foil, 285 sq ft is what we get

mickey house 19 Sep 19 07:35 AM

We definitely haven't gone over the allowance for many years as not enough things worth buying.

Double check that you are buying a new iphone because walmart for instance sell lots of refurnished/used/secondhand iphones/ipads. By the time you include the tax out there, the poor exchange rate and buying a UK plug it's not worth it (plus credit card fees if you don't pay cash). Buying in John Lewis gives a 2 year warranty rather than the standard one year warranty, and they aren't cheap to fix.