theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Yikes! Price difference in new flights! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1148552)

Princesa 6 Oct 19 03:45 PM

Yikes! Price difference in new flights!

We paid £3600 for 6 of us to fly with TC leaving Glasgow on the 10th August next year. Went into Virgin today to see how much they’d quote us and said that we could be flexible on the dates and was quoted £5500! Nearly £2000 extra. Will definitely be waiting to see if they come down but it’s so annoying that we were all booked and sorted and now it’s not even certain we’ll be going unless the prices settle.

Gemini157 6 Oct 19 03:55 PM

It's such a shame Princesa.I hope you can go.

We also had Thomas Cook flights and thought we would have to cancel our holiday next April as flight prices were so high after TC collapsed.
I found some Virgin flights through KLM which ended up being actually cheaper than our TC ones, same dates, same airport.
Keep looking on Skyscanner and on KLM, Air France etc and let's hope they come down. Ours were twice the price a hour before and a lot more later, so perhaps sometimes there are random drops in price?
Good luck.

Princesa 6 Oct 19 07:48 PM

Thanks, I hope we get to go too! I was planning on checking daily but I’ll maybe have to do it a couple of times a day if that’s what happened to you

itsmeGAV 6 Oct 19 08:18 PM

Have you considered flying into Tampa?

Princesa 6 Oct 19 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeGAV (Post 14113866)
Have you considered flying into Tampa?

We may have to! How far away is it?

Kev Harrison 6 Oct 19 08:51 PM

It'll calm down, its just all customers moving flights to other carriers that have already made plans.

Orlando 2004 6 Oct 19 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princesa (Post 14113921)

About an hour to an hour and a half but could be more if traffic is bad. Tampa airport is lovely and i think we've flown there about the last 4 or 5 times. Hope you find something. :)

Shani 7 Oct 19 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princesa (Post 14113343)
We paid £2400 for 6 of us to fly with TC leaving Glasgow on the 10th August next year. Went into Virgin today to see how much they’d quote us and said that we could be flexible on the dates and was quoted £5500! £500pp extra. Will definitely be waiting to see if they come down but it’s so annoying that we were all booked and sorted and now it’s not even certain we’ll be going unless the prices settle.

You got direct August flights with TC for £400pp? Yikes. My September TC flights were over £500pp so you got an amazing original deal there, which I fear you won't be able to get anywhere near with other flights :( £900pp for direct August flights, that Virgin have quoted you, is probably the going rate.

itsmeGAV 7 Oct 19 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princesa (Post 14113921)

What Orlando 2004 said.. takes around 1 hour and 20 minutes dependent on traffic.

I'm only looking for flights into Tampa for Sep 2020 as prices into MCO are just too high for my liking, I'm not too fussed with the drive as we will arrive into Tampa much earlier than we did this year into MCO with Norwegian.

GoldenAvalanche 7 Oct 19 01:19 PM

Wow I'm amazed you got that price in August in the first place! I'd have considered summer holidays if I'd known I could get flights for that price. I really hope they come down for you soon, our Virgin flights in May have increased by £1500 (from £2000) for the 4 of us since TC collapsed. I'm assuming it'll all settle down, or worse case maybe look indirect?