theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Beyond the Parks (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Recommendations for a day at the beach? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=999760)

nursetina 11 Jan 17 08:38 AM

Recommendations for a day at the beach?

I am planning on travelling from Orlando over to the west coast to spend a day at the beach on our trip in march/April and am looking for dib recommendations for which area to head to as I have never been to west coast so very daunting. We are driving :grin:

masterchef 11 Jan 17 10:44 AM

It depends what you intend to do when you get there. You might just want to drive slowly along the coast taking in the surroundings or you might want to park at one location and spend the daylight hours on the beach.

Assuming you are starting from south west of Orlando the return trip to the Gulf Coast will be at least 4 hours. If it's your first Florida beach visit then My suggestion would be to head for Pass a Grille at the bottom end of St Pete Beach.

Be aware that at the time you are going the roads could be very busy near the coast.

wanye 12 Jan 17 10:25 AM

i'd suggest a trip to sarasota and siesta key. loads to do there, and siesta key is one of the most beautiful beaches i have ever seen!

Guest 12 Jan 17 11:50 AM

I'd suggest Anna Maria have lunch on the white powder beach !

mick 12 Jan 17 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lourhys (Post 12210000)
I'd suggest Anna Maria have lunch on the white powder beach !

Here's Coquina Beach on AMI to whet your appetite :grin:. Early November and 28 degs C and the sky really was that colour.

Mick

masterchef 12 Jan 17 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanye (Post 12209834)
i'd suggest a trip to sarasota and siesta key. loads to do there, and siesta key is one of the most beautiful beaches i have ever seen!

Great places but 130 miles from Disney. I think if you go below Tampa bay you need to look at overnight stays.

wanye 12 Jan 17 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterchef (Post 12210151)
Great places but 130 miles from Disney. I think if you go below Tampa bay you need to look at overnight stays.

we've done several day trips round there... yeah, its 90-120 mins each way depending on where you stay, but when split up with a trip to somewhere like the International Independent Showmen's Museum and a drive through Gibsonton it might be a long day, but its totally doable without staying over

saying that, i would happily stay over there too, havent done any multi-day trips to the west coast yet...

Hank 12 Jan 17 02:29 PM

Which ever beach you choose make it during the week, locals go to the beach at the weekend and some can be really busy.

Hank

DonnaD 12 Jan 17 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterchef (Post 12210151)

I agree. Sarasota is a lovely area but no need to go that far for a day trip to the beach.

owens5558 12 Jan 17 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank (Post 12210344)
Which ever beach you choose make it during the week, locals go to the beach at the weekend and some can be really busy.

Hank

I would definitely agree with this.

Penny