theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   New England Summer 2018: Day 7 - Mansfield Mount Vermont (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1092876)

Melbatb 4 Aug 18 02:03 AM

New England Summer 2018: Day 7 - Mansfield Mount Vermont

An overcast day today (not that we mind - as it is nearly 40C at home it is lovely that it is just 27C! ) The cloud never really cleared but it didn’t impact on our day.

We managed to sleep until 7am (8am for F) which was a step in the right direction.

O and J had yoghurt and fruit, I had a bagel and F made pancakes from the remaining pancake batter. Of course, coffee was also on the menu. There is a keurig machine which makes a half decent cup!

This is our car - J loves it! Especially the anti collision option (keeps you the right distance behind the car in front! )

Having driven it, it is a nice car - easy to drive! And fairly spacious too.

J said he had a choice at Dollar at Boston airport. He chose this as he liked it (as good a reason as any! )

First up this morning was riding! F had a one-on-one lesson with Jade at 10am and then O and J had a joint lesson.

This is Floyd - F's ride for the day! He is a bit smaller than the ither two horses she has ridden.

She had another great lesson- Jade is a brilliant instructor and F learnt so much. The hour flew past and both F and Floyd were exhausted!

Then it was the boys' turn.

J rode Gracie and O rode Lenny. O hadn't ridden for 5 years and J is just learning. They got up to a trot and both really enjoyed it. J said he learnt a lot and it was nice to actually understand all the technical words (he says sometimes the French goes over his head! )

O really liked the trotting - he loves going fast! Both horses were great for novices.

F will take Floyd out on a hack again on Sunday!

O made us a smoked salmon salad with a pesto dressing for lunch.

I have my kids trained well!

We then headed out to Mount Mansfield - the highest point in Vermont. We drove through Stowe and it took about 40 minutes to get to the bottom of where we wanted to be. The dribing here is very easy - though the speed limits change a lot so you have to be vigilant.

We took the toll toad which was quite steep at $51 but we knew we would never walk up it (the toll road was 4.5 miles and had some steep inclines).

I drove to the base of the road and then J took over - he is a far better mountain road driver! It is just as well he did as it was pretty hairy at times and I had to grip the hand rail.

We parked at the top. There was plenty of space.

The first part of the walk was a boardwalk type of path. It wsceasy to navigate.

It took about 10 minutes to get to the girst pkateau. The view was spectacular.

Though the weather could have been better. Usually uou can see Lake Champlion but today no.

J and O continued up to the top. They said it was a good job I didn't go as it was tricky and unlike the rest of the family I don't have goat tendencies! Again they said they couldn't see much.

F made a stone tower whilst we waited. I just admired the view. It was really pleasant just sitting and watching people as they passed by (not that it was busy! )

We stopped a couple of times on the way back to take some photos! The dtive down took about 20 minutes. It looks an awesome place to ski in winter.

The Von Trapp family lived in the area as it reminded them so muchnof Austria. I could see that with this meadow slope.

On the way back we called into the supermarket to get some beer and more ice cream.

There was a horse whisperer doing a presentation at the farm so J and F went to listen to her (it was very good apparently) whilst I made dinner.

The new ice cream was delicious - tasted just like cinnamon buns!

Just a relaxing evening! We are on holiday after all!

app 4 Aug 18 02:38 AM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 4 Aug 18 2:38 AM.

amy56 4 Aug 18 06:55 AM

Another great day! Another great ice cream choice! 😊

Jake71 4 Aug 18 08:30 AM

Those views are stunning. Even before I read your comment I thought the photo looked like a scene from the Sound of Music! I love the rock tower, very impressive.

mick 4 Aug 18 09:45 AM

Another great day :spin:

Joan :wave:

AlexE 4 Aug 18 10:18 AM

We are touring New England in September so finding your report very interesting - thanks for sharing. Think we might drop the surfing and mountain hiking and settle for strolling 😉

CrispyA 5 Aug 18 01:07 PM

Vermont looks so pretty - we thought it was lovely as we drove through and wished we were spending more time there.

WileyCoyote 11 Aug 18 06:12 PM

Great day, good fun with the riding, mountain sounds awesome and tasty ice cream. What could be better !

jocat 12 Aug 18 11:37 PM

It sounds like you’re really making the most of your stay at the farm with all the riding lessons.

That toll price is extortionate, :omg: but I’d have paid it too rather than walking it! :blush:

Melbatb 28 Aug 18 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy56 (Post 13405528)
Another great day! Another great ice cream choice! 😊

I was the only one who liked the cinnamon bun flavour! What a shame ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 13405630)
Those views are stunning. Even before I read your comment I thought the photo looked like a scene from the Sound of Music! I love the rock tower, very impressive.

I think it would be stunning in winter. Apparently it is very cold though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 13405804)
Another great day :spin:

Joan :wave:

We managed to achieve quite a lot, considering the riding lessons!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexE (Post 13405866)
We are touring New England in September so finding your report very interesting - thanks for sharing. Think we might drop the surfing and mountain hiking and settle for strolling 😉

I hope you will do a report!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrispyA (Post 13408100)
Vermont looks so pretty - we thought it was lovely as we drove through and wished we were spending more time there.

I lived Vermont! Not very touristy which suits me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote (Post 13421194)
Great day, good fun with the riding, mountain sounds awesome and tasty ice cream. What could be better !

Indeed :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocat (Post 13423956)
It sounds like you’re really making the most of your stay at the farm with all the riding lessons.

That toll price is extortionate, :omg: but I’d have paid it too rather than walking it! :blush:

The toll was a lot! But probably worth it! I am just happy J drove up!