theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   New England Summer 2018: Day 20 - Cape Cod (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1095327)

Melbatb 17 Aug 18 10:59 AM

New England Summer 2018: Day 20 - Cape Cod

Yet another early wake up - 5.30 am in my case. Everyone was awake by 7!

We all had our usual breakfasts. It is a bit frustrating toasting things as there isn't a normal toaster but one of those mini oven things. It takes ages and dries the bagels out.

We couldn't decide what to do today. A lot of discussions were had between J and I. In the end we decided to go to Cape Cod which was our original idea! A plan was born!

After researching beaches we decided on Breakwater beach in Brewster. The surf was poor everywhere according to things J had found online (the swell in the Atlantic was non existent!).

The drive on the 6 is pretty dull - more trees! We stopped when on the smaller roads to get a snack at a county store. It was a good find as everything was homemade. The kids gad cookies and the adults cinnamon danishes (though the kids had part of J's too! )

We arrived at the car park st 11.30am and thankfully there were lots of places. However, you had to go to the town hall to get the pass.

It was a 3 minute drive. It is a bit of a rip off - $20 for a day pass. Impossible to get for less hours. But we went for it! No choice really. However, it did put you off trying several beaches in different towns.

We drove back to the beach, parked up, stuck the sticky pass on the bumper (thankfully managed to peel it off ok at the end! ) and got changed.

It was just after low tide. The water was coming back in. Effectively, it is very shallow for a long long way. And quite warm.

This was taken about 30 minutes after the first - the water was about 30m closer to the shore in that time. I guess that was why everyone set up camp right near the edge of the beach!

The sea was full of tiny fish - even at the edges. Thousands of them.

All in all we spent almost 2 hours here. J and the kids were in the water the whole time - either messing around or playing frisbee. They all really enjoyed it. It was a hood choice as different from where we had been before.

I paddled for about 30 minutes and then read my kindle. It was very hot - over 90?F again.

We then drove to Hyannis. The bakery where we had breakfast the other day recommended the Common Food Cafe in Hyannis. It was part of the same community.

We parked on Main Street easily - free for 2 hours.

I admit that had we not had the recommendation we would never had gone here. But it was fabulous.

I had a greek salad wrap. O had a baked haddock roll. F had grilled cheese and J a tuna melt.

We also shared a salad. They came round several times with smoothie samples. Everything was delicious and we cleared our plates.

Spookily, the community has a deli in our town. They only have one in France...

It came to $37. The staff were all really pleasant.

No meal is complete without an ice cream. We went into Kilwins. I tried their key line flavour which was very nice. But I decided to think of my waistline.

O had a sundae and F had two very large scoops. They also gave us fudge samples.

We were in Hyannis for just under 2 hours. We looked in a few shops and got the usual magnets! We all really liked it.

We then went to the Cape Cod Potato Chip factory tour - also in Hyannis. O had seen it advertised on the packets.

It is effectively a corridor where you can see onto the factory with boards telling you about each process. No photos allowed!

It was interesting - worth a visit if you are in Hyannis. You all get a free packet of crisps!

Unfortunately I had developed a headache (even though I wear a cap, I do get sun induced headaches) so J drove back.

The plan for the evening was to go to see Mamma Mia 2 - we wanted to see it in English. My headache was not budging so J took the kids whilst I lay in a dark room.

The kids both really enjoyed it. J apparently slept! They had pizza for dinner.

After the second set of paracetamol my headache started to go! When they got back, J and I went for a short walk for me to get some fresh air.

Overall, a successful day (except for the headache! )

app 17 Aug 18 11:33 AM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 17 Aug 18 11:33 AM.

mick 17 Aug 18 02:10 PM

Shame you had to miss the film because of your headache :nonono: glad it went.
But sounds like a good day otherwise:spin:

Joan :wave:

CrispyA 17 Aug 18 08:48 PM

Sorry to hear about the headache- I can end up suffering like that too. Glad it cleared up.

OB1LukeLucas 18 Aug 18 01:33 PM

Cape Cod looks nice. Shame you missed the film I really enjoyed it. Hope your head feels better.

WileyCoyote 19 Aug 18 07:11 AM

Lovely day, the beach and lunch spots sound fab. Sorry you felt poorly with a headache. Hope it wore off.

jocat 21 Aug 18 09:24 AM

Cape Cod looks lovely, although it’s a shame it’s missing the surf that your family all love. The parking pass seems to a bit of a pain though.

It’s a shame your headache spoilt your plans for the evening.

Jake71 23 Aug 18 10:48 PM

The beach looks lovely, $20 for parking is ok I suppose if you plan to be there all day, but a bit expensive for a couple of hours.

i love jack 26 Aug 18 01:43 PM

Just caught up on your last few days, a lovely few days :)

Melbatb 21 Sep 18 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 13433815)
Shame you had to miss the film because of your headache :nonono: glad it went.
But sounds like a good day otherwise:spin:

Joan :wave:

The headache was a nuisance but I am unfortunately prone to them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrispyA (Post 13434562)
Sorry to hear about the headache- I can end up suffering like that too. Glad it cleared up.

Thank you :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas (Post 13435678)
Cape Cod looks nice. Shame you missed the film I really enjoyed it. Hope your head feels better.

I will have to wait until it comes out on dvd! I really don!t want to see it in French (even my French colleagues agree it is strange hearing abba songs in French!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote (Post 13436809)
Lovely day, the beach and lunch spots sound fab. Sorry you felt poorly with a headache. Hope it wore off.

It was a great beach day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocat (Post 13441139)
Cape Cod looks lovely, although it’s a shame it’s missing the surf that your family all love. The parking pass seems to a bit of a pain though.

It’s a shame your headache spoilt your plans for the evening.

The parking pass was a pain - why can’t they just have a pay and display?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 13447027)
The beach looks lovely, $20 for parking is ok I suppose if you plan to be there all day, but a bit expensive for a couple of hours.

I think the parking charges are to keep things a bit quieter! The police do come round and check though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by i love jack (Post 13451387)
Just caught up on your last few days, a lovely few days :)

Have you made your mind as to where you will twin with Boston?