theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   New England Summer 2018: Day 21 - Plimouth Plantation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1095501)

Melbatb 18 Aug 18 11:47 AM

New England Summer 2018: Day 21 - Plimouth Plantation

Another early start for me - 5.30am. The boys both managed to sleep until 8am which was a huge improvement.

Yoghurts, toast were the staples of breakfast.

About 9am we headed off to Plimouth Plantation. Today it was Free Friday - over the summer a foundation sponsors free days at museums all over the state. Today was the turn of Plimouth Plantation. It was expected to be busy, hence the early start!

It took about 15 minutes to drive there. The car park was already about 40% full.

We started off watching a film about the history of the Pilgrims and the Natives which gave a good overall context to the museum.

We then went on Wampanoag Homestead which is a recreation of the home of an indigenous person back in 1620. All over the museum they had people dressed up as of that epoque playing the role of being in that era. It was an interesting way of sharing the information rather than just information hoards.

The homestead from outside. It was constructed so as to be warm in the cold winters.

Next up was the craft centre. This had people showing how things were made in the 17th century.

The candle making lady was very interesting.

They even had a beehive outside (you could see the bees through the window!)

Next up was the Meeting House - which just had a few cannons in it. It gave a good view down to the English Village though.

In many of the houses there were people who interacted with you and answered your questions.

This was probably the most interesting part of the plantation but the kids found it a bit heavy going.

We walked back to the car via the free hug a coke machine where we hugged the distributor and got a free coke!

We were there about 90 minutes. We all agreed that we would gave felt paying $120 for us to visit a bit steep but it gave a good introduction to the lives of the Pilgrims.

We then visited the mall where the cinema was in Kingston. There was a Target here and one of O's friends asked if he could see if there was a Target exclusive if the Ariana Grande album that was out that day. There wasn't but we got the normal one for her.

The mall was pretty bad - at least half of the stores were closed.

We went back to the apartment and I made pasta and salad to use up things in the fridge.

The kids and I went yo Ziggy's to get an ice cream. J fell asleep and slept for about 3 hours. He must have needed it!

We then drove to Plymouth Long Beach. As it was after 4pm the parking was free!

We spent about 90 minutes here - the kids and J messed around in the water - the frisbee came out again!

I read my Kindle.

On our way to another mall, we were stopped as a procession of people dressed in Pilgrim clothes passed by!

We went yo Colony Place. We had dinner in Moe's - similar to Chipostle. I had a veggie bowl. I couldn't manage it all.

J and O had burritos and F a cheese quesidilo. They all came with tortilla chips. It was a reasonable $31.

We went into Justice for F but there was nothing there.

I dropped them off at Dick's Sporting Goods while I went into Walmart to get some treats. F managed to find a school bag there at last!

We were back by 9pm and I was soon in bed - with another headache! I had worn sunglasses on the beach but was still suffering.

app 18 Aug 18 12:14 PM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 18 Aug 18 12:14 PM.

mick 18 Aug 18 01:12 PM

A good day and the plantation looked interesting :spin:

Joan :wave:

OB1LukeLucas 18 Aug 18 01:35 PM

The plantation looked really interesting, definitely a bonus that you didn’t pay.

CrispyA 18 Aug 18 04:52 PM

Sorry about the headache - they can make you feel really rotten. The plantation looks interesting - even better if it’s free!

WileyCoyote 19 Aug 18 07:15 AM

Plantation did look interesting but deffo better for free, quite steep price! I guess if they have all those actors they have to pay them somehow ...
Hope the headache wears off.

jocat 21 Aug 18 09:40 AM

The plantation looks good and even better when it’s free! ;)

I get those headaches too from squinting when there’s bright sunshine, and even though you wear sunglasses, it still doesn’t seem to prevent them - I suppose they don’t stop all of the brightness.

How strange to see all those people in the pilgrim costumes at the crossing.

Jake71 25 Aug 18 06:55 AM

The plantations sounds like a really interesting place although I agree it would’ve been a steep $120! Not great that your headache returned.

i love jack 17 Sep 18 08:22 PM

No! I didn’t finish it! Found I was up to here!
Good value for the plantation! And a shopping fix too :thumbs-up

Melbatb 21 Sep 18 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 13435637)
A good day and the plantation looked interesting :spin:

Joan :wave:

It was interesting - just not $120 interesting (I am so tight :D)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas (Post 13435681)
The plantation looked really interesting, definitely a bonus that you didn’t pay.

It was a good way to make history live!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrispyA (Post 13435997)
Sorry about the headache - they can make you feel really rotten. The plantation looks interesting - even better if it’s free!

Thankfully it was the last one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote (Post 13436813)
Plantation did look interesting but deffo better for free, quite steep price! I guess if they have all those actors they have to pay them somehow ...
Hope the headache wears off.

I think it is the number of staff! In france they would have had less than half of them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocat (Post 13441168)
The plantation looks good and even better when it’s free! ;)

I get those headaches too from squinting when there’s bright sunshine, and even though you wear sunglasses, it still doesn’t seem to prevent them - I suppose they don’t stop all of the brightness.

How strange to see all those people in the pilgrim costumes at the crossing.

I think Amy found out what the possession was :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 13449136)
The plantations sounds like a really interesting place although I agree it would’ve been a steep $120! Not great that your headache returned.

I am just happy my research showed up the free Friday ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by i love jack (Post 13492816)
No! I didn’t finish it! Found I was up to here!
Good value for the plantation! And a shopping fix too :thumbs-up

Hello :wave: Got to love a bit of shopping!