theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Car Hire & Transportation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Standard SUV - does the type of car we want exist? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1160302)

SingleRider 6 Feb 20 04:26 PM

Standard SUV - does the type of car we want exist?

I bow to those with greater knowledge than me to ask whether the type of car we want exists...!

We're travelling later this year as a group and will have multiple cars between us as we're often going to do our own thing.

Some days though we'd like the option to go out as a larger group of, say, 4 adults and 2 kids.

We've booked a Standard SUV so were wondering if anyone knows whether Alamo (at Sanford if it makes a difference) would have a car in that category that has:

- extra (collapsible?) seats in the back that can be used if necessary (as I say, we'll have multiple cars so don't need the luggage space - only people space); and
- Apple CarPlay so we can use Google Maps/Waze through the phone

Many thanks in advance!

Mr Tom Morrow 6 Feb 20 04:49 PM

I have had a Standard SUVs that are 7 seaters. The Nissan Pathfinder is just 1 example.

With regards to Apple Car Play I have more knowledge of nuclear physics sorry. I do have an iPhone though and it makes phone calls and can take pictures. That's my entire knowledge of it.:erm:

Bovril 6 Feb 20 05:19 PM

We are here at the moment and have a std SUV, although we are only two we are touring around so chose a larger vehicle, we normally have a full size car. We have a GMC Acadia which seats six, three rows of two although haven't tried to sit in the third row depending on how old our children are, the issue with std SUVs is luggage space, with the third row seats up boot space is very small just room for hand luggage. It does have a large touch screen with apple car play that we are using with google maps, which still getting used to, nothing like this in our old pickup at home.

Steveje 6 Feb 20 06:52 PM

Had a kia sorrento last year which had the 3rd row of seats.

SingleRider 6 Feb 20 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bovril (Post 14275814)
We are here at the moment and have a std SUV, although we are only two we are touring around so chose a larger vehicle, we normally have a full size car. We have a GMC Acadia which seats six, three rows of two although haven't tried to sit in the third row depending on how old our children are, the issue with std SUVs is luggage space, with the third row seats up boot space is very small just room for hand luggage. It does have a large touch screen with apple car play that we are using with google maps, which still getting used to, nothing like this in our old pickup at home.

Thanks for this. Sounds like the GMC is a good option for us. When we’re transporting luggage there will only be 2 of us in the car so luggage space isn’t a problem.

I knew the knowledgable bods on here would help me out! Thanks all!

Radel 9 Feb 20 01:46 PM

Has anyone else got experience regarding 7 seater standard SUVs.
I thought you had to opt for a full size SUV to get 7 seats but will opt for a standard if 7 seats are a possibility as there is £300 difference for the 3 weeks we are going in summer

Mr Tom Morrow 9 Feb 20 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radel (Post 14280154)
Has anyone else got experience regarding 7 seater standard SUVs.
I thought you had to opt for a full size SUV to get 7 seats but will opt for a standard if 7 seats are a possibility as there is £300 difference for the 3 weeks we are going in summer

As I put a few days ago I have had them. The quandary you have though is what if you chance it and they don't have any!

Better the devil you know in my view.

trampslikeus 10 Feb 20 07:07 PM

In CA at the moment, had booked an int SUV through Avis but got given a Mitsubishi Outlander which has collapsible boot seats, presumably an upgrade on our booked vehicle. Only two of us so no benefit but nice vehicle to drive

martyn7836 10 Feb 20 09:12 PM

I’m fussy when it comes to being out there. Due the the family and cases I always have the STD suv or full size never able to get into a saloon car.
GMC Arcadia has the fold downs you want plus Apple play
Ford Explorer has the gold down and Apple play
Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia sorrento have both of what you want.
The dodge journey had gold down seats but no Apple play.
I suspect it will depend on the spec of the car so best thing to do if with Alamo walk through line check the seat situation and then start the engine up. The Apple play will be obvious if it’s there. (It tends to only work fully if connection with a cable not Bluetooth)

itz_baseline 10 Feb 20 09:29 PM

For us a standard SUV was more expensive than a full size SUV so maybe do a price check and see.