theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   High Blood Pressure and Existing Travel Insurance (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1083142)

orlandoN21 1 Jun 18 08:25 PM

High Blood Pressure and Existing Travel Insurance

Hi - for the last two weeks I have had weekly check ups with my doctor to monitor my blood pressure and he confirmed today that I will have to take medication for the foreseeable future to hopefully regulate it. My annual travel insurance ends in January and as you will see from my countdown I'm travelling to Orlando in November.

I will of course inform them of my condition as it needs to be added in case I took ill out there. But what I wanted to ask - is there anyone who can tell me how much extra they had to pay when they informed their insurance company of the same condition. Thanks

mickchick 1 Jun 18 08:34 PM

There is no standard supplementary premium. Some insurers don't load their premiums for high blood pressure but most do regard it as an extra risk and charge accordingly. When calculating it they also take into account age and other conditions if any.

ELLENUT 1 Jun 18 08:40 PM

If you have an annual policy in place now then (i am not 100% sure) I believe that they cant charge you more to cover your trip in nov. I think that they either have to agree to cover it or cover the cost of you to cancel the trip.Hopefully someone else will be along with accurate knowledge on your rights before you ring them.

SimonB 1 Jun 18 08:48 PM

I phoned up our insurance (Nat West with a paid bank account) and they said thanks for letting them know and no extra charge.

Wee_Red 1 Jun 18 08:49 PM

My dad developed high blood pressure after an infection (long, not very pleasant experience) and was concerned about his travel insurance. It's never affected his insurance premium. It's quite a common thing on their policies to have covered - controlled by medication but you must declare it.

macy 1 Jun 18 08:57 PM

We have Barclays annual cover and when I notified them of pre-existing condition of BP there was no extra charge. They asked a few questions about medication and any hospital appointments also mentioned cholesterol. I expected to have to pay more but thankfully everything worked out fine. You might find things work out well and it is always best to keep them informed of any changes in your condition. :)

orlandoN21 1 Jun 18 08:57 PM

Thanks for your replies

djy 1 Jun 18 10:00 PM

No extra with Nationwide annual cover as well

Tynxuk 1 Jun 18 10:30 PM

Another with barclays and no extra charge, I did pick and choose which rides I went on and will be more selective this year but no problems.

amandajane10 1 Jun 18 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonB (Post 13285394)
I phoned up our insurance (Nat West with a paid bank account) and they said thanks for letting them know and no extra charge.

Same here. No charge.