theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Garden lights (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1150345)

TrueBlueAngel 21 Oct 19 08:54 PM

Garden lights

We’re having our garden done and having a pergola installed. We’re also having outside sockets installed too. I’d like some really good outside lights for all year round, obviously that can be plugged into the outside electrical sockets.
Can anyone recommend some good ones please?

Mr Tom Morrow 21 Oct 19 09:06 PM

Nice. I like exterior lighting, brings a different perspective to a garden.

If you can find any lights that don't rust or oxidise please let me know as I am yet to find any!

I spent big money on 2 stainless steel pillar lights. Three years later they are oxidised sadly.

Going back to the power I would run them on their own circuit with all the Regs complied with namely the correct depth, gel boxes for the connections etc.

Best of luck.

ROBBOTOO 21 Oct 19 09:16 PM

We’ve got stainless steel electric lights in our garden which we’ve had for years! Haven’t rusted and have been great and still look like new!

I know I kept the original order details in case we ever had any problems. So will look them out to see if you can even still get them now!

ERICSMUM 22 Oct 19 08:20 AM

Can I ask that you don’t fix a large lamp on the back wall of your house which you think adds a nice atmosphere to your evening bbq’s.

My neighbour did - not only does it illuminate his patio, it also shines through my bathroom window into the bedroom. It’s like living in Colditz.

Mr Tom Morrow 22 Oct 19 08:40 AM

I can't get my head around 'up and down' exterior lights. What is the uplight bit for? Guiding aircraft in to land!

EssexSue 22 Oct 19 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 14138528)
I can't get my head around 'up and down' exterior lights. What is the uplight bit for? Guiding aircraft in to land!

Haha but that would look fabulous under a plant! I love lit up trees and plants.

Jan 22 Oct 19 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 14138528)

One or two neighbours have these on the porch wall on each side of the door. I think they look really attractive.

Mr Tom Morrow 22 Oct 19 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 14138546)
One or two neighbours have these on the porch wall on each side of the door. I think they look really attractive.

Under a porch I agree as the light on top will hit the porch roof underside and 'bounce' back down. Extra illumination that way.

TrueBlueAngel 22 Oct 19 11:40 AM

What about coloured lights, like string lights? Anyone got them as well?

mickey house 22 Oct 19 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM (Post 14138509)
Can I ask that you don’t fix a large lamp on the back wall of your house which you think adds a nice atmosphere to your evening bbq’s.

My neighbour did - not only does it illuminate his patio, it also shines through my bathroom window into the bedroom. It’s like living in Colditz.

There are houses 250' away that light my loft ceiling up at night due to their floodlights pointing so high up. I do wonder why peope think they need to point floodlights up so high, unless they are hoping to see the international space station as it passes.

A neighbour across the road has a small drive but a they have a big floodlight on the front of his house that lights our upstairs bedroom up. Unless people have a big drive or frontage I don't recommend floodlights on the front of their houses.

I am always careful when I install floodlights that they don't cause a nuisance to neighbours and correctly adjust them.

The up down lights are very popular and I have fitted a fair few, but if a light is made of stainless steel it won't rust, but the £20 lights from places like screwfix are of stainless appearance, but not necessarily made of stainless steel.

The worst lights I've fitted are from ikea (usually cheap rubbish).