theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Best option for money (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1100102)

jomarise 16 Sep 18 02:32 PM

Best option for money

We have saved quite a bit of money in our change pot (probably around £600-£700) What is the best way to use this for holiday spending money?

Is it change it to dollars at post office?

or is it better to put in bank and use credit card to take money out and pay it straight off. We just got a Clarity card but not sure on what that costs to take money out.

Are there any options. Thanks

stupet11 16 Sep 18 03:09 PM

We leave our money in the bank, spend on credit card, pay off when we get home.

Have not needed to withdraw on our Clarity card at all - everything on card - but if you felt need to draw dollars, interest fee is small (make sure use an ATM that doesn't charge a fee though - Wawa garage are good).

Exchange rate likely to be better using card than changing your cash to dollars.

philinmerthyr 16 Sep 18 06:05 PM

Just got back. I took $250 in cash and used my Halifax clarity credit card for the rest. Before we went I paid £2,000 into my card so it was in credit. Payments show quickly through the app and it also shows pending payments so it’s easy to keep track.

On returning I owed the card £330 which I paid from my savings. Got a great exchange rate and no charges. :thumbs-up

jomarise 16 Sep 18 06:20 PM

Fantastic, thank you both. I shall use the card and get a small amount of cash. Thanks again

Smilesonfaces 16 Sep 18 06:25 PM

We use our Clarity card too. When I have withdrawn cash I have gone on to my banking app and paid it on the same day. I don’t think the interest would be much anyway even if you waited until you were home. The Clarity card is always the best exchange rate I can find.
I am sure that pre loading a credit card would be breaking the terms and conditions of the card.

bLaZeR666_uk 16 Sep 18 06:34 PM

For info, over paying your Halifax card is a breach of their terms and conditions so I am not sure this is a good idea. They might over look it once but I am sure something will be said.

firsttimedream 17 Sep 18 09:17 AM

Hi we have bn wondering the same thing as clarity is best but shame can't lock it in as might go down more when we go?

ozzyowl1 17 Sep 18 02:27 PM

Up until this year I have just used Halifax Clarity and paid it off when home, however we were offsite for the first time in June, and the $ was fluctuating so much, I got a FairFX card and every time $ hit $1.40, I topped up $100. I was so glad I did as the rate had dropped to $1.28 by the time we went (even lower some days!), so I certainly got more for my money with the FairFX.
We go again in July and I'm planning on doing the same again on that trip, although at the moment there's no sign of $1:40!