theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   NCL unlimited drinks package (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1153979)

KarenG 1 Dec 19 09:25 PM

NCL unlimited drinks package

Hi all

We have this on our next cruise and would love to hear any tips!

I assume we tip as normal to our room?

Does it include coffee?

What are your best finds? We love cocktails.

I know it won’t include the very premium brands but I’m sure we can ‘make do’ 😂

We are on a five night cruise sailing out of New Orleans on the Getaway.

Thanks!

Karen

Hudson 1 Dec 19 09:39 PM

We sailed with NCL for the first time in August, New York/Bermuda and had the drinks package.
I was hugely disappointed that coffee was not included unlike Princess, Carnival, MSC, Celebrity... can't remember RC. I think the spirits were premium brands not Johnnie Walker blue etc. though
We prepaid our gratuities.
Make sure you book all your restaurants and shows for the theatre, comedy etc as soon as you board if not before. We failed to do so and struggled in the stand by line.
We had a great time and I'm sure you will too, however, we'll probably avoid NCL in future.

mitch84 1 Dec 19 10:12 PM

I love NCL.
The drinks package is superb, check your package as everyone has different deals. We could get Starbucks from the restaurants/bars etc, but not from the atrium cafe.
Pre book any paid restaurants ASAP, but as a tip you can also book main dining room. We booked for 7.30 each night in one of the MDR, then cancelled if we made different plans.
A 3 meals package is worthwhile, we love Cagneys but it’s better on a package as it’s dear OOP. Teppenyaki good too, Moderno and Le Bistro ok, not tried La Cucina.
My tips have always been included.
I was on the getaway in 2017. We didn’t have to book the theatre except for a circus type one with a meal that was excellent(cirque steam and dream), well worth it, and wine lovers the musical (not worth it)

mitch84 1 Dec 19 10:13 PM

Try the mojito bar, yummy, also loved the wine bar (sunset I think)

I spent most nights in the comedy club, they had duelling pianos which were so good

KarenG 1 Dec 19 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch84 (Post 14191463)
Try the mojito bar, yummy, also loved the wine bar (sunset I think)

I spent most nights in the comedy club, they had duelling pianos which were so good

Thanks!

We have cruised NCL before and like the casual feel - not sure we will bother with paying extra for the add on restaurants - we didn’t before on a seven night cruise and didn’t feel we’d missed out. Cagneys is the one I’d choose if we did I think.

Hudson - thanks - maybe we won’t have coffee included then. It will save us a fortune onboard though. We’ve paid $99 each - so under $20 a day - we will make that back before lunchtime most days I think 😂

soraia 2 Dec 19 09:49 AM

One thing that confuses me about this new "Free at Sea" promotion where you pay 99 for perks such as the beverage package is that I've heard conflicting reviews on whether you then need to pay service charge on top of that (something like even though the drinks package is free you still need to pay the 18% gratuity charge on top of that so it works out around $15pp per day)
I've only ever sailed NCL before this when we used to get great deals from the UK and gratuities, service charge etc was all included, but now have read sometimes you have to pay this service charge which can get very pricey if you're going for 7+ nights.
Has anyone on here come across this since the change?

mitch84 2 Dec 19 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soraia (Post 14191718)
One thing that confuses me about this new "Free at Sea" promotion where you pay 99 for perks such as the beverage package is that I've heard conflicting reviews on whether you then need to pay service charge on top of that (something like even though the drinks package is free you still need to pay the 18% gratuity charge on top of that so it works out around $15pp per day)
I've only ever sailed NCL before this when we used to get great deals from the UK and gratuities, service charge etc was all included, but now have read sometimes you have to pay this service charge which can get very pricey if you're going for 7+ nights.
Has anyone on here come across this since the change?

We were on NCL in an inside cabin last month.

We got the beverage package, gratuities and service charges, bottled water. coffee (not from the atrium café but from everywhere else - confusing and annoying) and 60 minutes of wifi (for a connection fee so we didn't bother). We also got $50 obc.

I really think every package is different, and relates to the cabin grade, and what you picked etc, as we could choose drinks or speciality restaurants for example.

soraia 2 Dec 19 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch84 (Post 14191764)
We were on NCL in an inside cabin last month.

We got the beverage package, gratuities and service charges, bottled water. coffee (not from the atrium café but from everywhere else - confusing and annoying) and 60 minutes of wifi (for a connection fee so we didn't bother). We also got $50 obc.

I really think every package is different, and relates to the cabin grade, and what you picked etc, as we could choose drinks or speciality restaurants for example.

Yes that is what I have had in the past and were the old deals we could get from the UK. They honour deals that were booked in the past but sadly you can't get this sort of deal anymore and they have replaced it with their "Free at Sea" promotion where for 99 you can choose 3 extra perks (eg drinks package, specialty restaurants, internet etc) but then apparently still have to pay the service charge on the drinks packages.

Shame as I thought the previous deal (same as what you mentioned mitch) was really good and meant once the cruise was paid you didn't really need to worry about extras etc and just enjoy the cruise!

Michelle 2 Dec 19 12:42 PM

Hi Karen,

We've sailed NCL a few times. The drinks package is great. We always find something on the menu. I think if you book on the USA site you will have to pay gratuity on your drinks, the UK is included.

Which ship are you on?

KarenG 3 Dec 19 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle (Post 14191868)
Hi Karen,

We've sailed NCL a few times. The drinks package is great. We always find something on the menu. I think if you book on the USA site you will have to pay gratuity on your drinks, the UK is included.

Which ship are you on?

Hi Michelle :wavey:

Thanks, the Getaway. We’ve booked a US deal. So do we just add a tip to every drink as we go along I guess?

We’ve only sailed once and it was a long time ago but we really enjoyed it.

Cheers
Karen