theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Just the two of us - Boston/NYC (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1094273)

Disney1sttimers 11 Aug 18 05:00 PM

Just the two of us - Boston/NYC

So the packing is virtually done and I’m so organized I thought I might as well do a brief pre-trip report.

DH and I are leaving on Thursday for our first holiday together without the children since we got married 18 years ago. It will feel strange going away without them but they have had so many school trips away this year to Italy, Germany, Spain, France, Malta and London – somehow they find time to study in between! DH hasn’t had a holiday since we were in Florida in 2014 – he’s a bit of a workaholic and doesn’t really do holidays (strange man!). There’s also the small matter of my 50th birthday and our 18th wedding anniversary whilst we are away. So the plan looks like this:-

Thursday 16/8
Aer Lingus from Dublin to Boston, airport transfer to the Lenox Hotel where we stay for 5 nights.

Friday 17/8
Duck tour at 9.30am. I booked this 2 days before the Missouri duck boat incident. I must admit I probably wouldn’t have booked if this had happened beforehand but I won’t get my money back so we’ve decided to just carry on. After this we plan on doing some of the Freedom Trail and visiting Harvard (this is a must for me since recently starting to watch Suits on Netflix).

Saturday 18/8 (The big 50 today)
We'll have a relaxing morning before visiting the Skywalk Observatory. Then we may go to the Cheers Bar (DH loved this when he was younger) before a 5pm reservation at Maggiano’s for dinner. That evening we are going to see the Book of Mormon at the Boston Opera House.

Sunday 19/8
Today is my solo trip to Niagara Falls. You may well wonder why on earth would you leave the children at home and then go to Niagara Falls without your husband. Well I can explain. My husband is Irish and we live in Galway. Now anyone married to an Irishman will understand how they can be a bit passionate about football/hurling. Last November, unbeknownst to me, the GAA decided to change the date of the all-Ireland hurling final from September to 19th August! I booked our JetBlue flights oblivious to the fact that a game that had always been played in September has now been moved. And, of course, who has reached the final – Galway! So today, I fly from Logan to Buffalo and pick up a hire car and drive to Niagara Falls for a few hours before flying back later in the evening. DH will stay back in Boston and catch the game there. On well, absence makes the heart grow fonder I suppose!

Monday 20/8
The plan today is perhaps a trip to Salem for a couple of hours and then shopping at Assembly Row.

Tuesday 21/8
Today we leave Boston at lunchtime and catch the Amtrak to NYC. We just fancied a different mode of travel hence booking the train. We have first class tickets and all my research since then has suggested that first class on Amtrak isn’t really worth the money. The tickets are non-refundable though so we will just have to go with it. We arrive at Penn Station just before 4pm so will catch a cab to our hotel, the Crowne Plaza in Times Square (we’re well aware how busy Times Square gets having been to NYC before but we live in a very rural part of Galway so are actually looking forward to the craziness!) We have tickets for the Top of the Rock at sunset.

Wednesday 22/8
A busy day today as we have 9am tickets for the Statue of Liberty before going on to Ellis Island. We then have 3pm tickets for the guided tour of the 9/11 museum. DH and I actually spent part of our honeymoon in NYC and were at the top of the WTC a year and a day to that awful day. We then have sunset tickets for the One World Observatory. In hindsight it may have been a mistake to book this so soon afterwards so if we are emotionally drained we might give this a miss.

Thursday 23/8
We have a day tour of Washington DC today. Its an early start being picked up at Times Square at 6.30am and not getting back till 9/10pm. I know its a long drive for a day trip but we can relax on the coach without having to worry about driving.

Friday 24/8
After yesterday’s long day we have an easy one today. We have a pedicab tour of Central Park booked for 5pm and then I have a second row ticket to see Frozen on Broadway. I’m so excited about this. DH really doesn’t want to see this and the tickets were rather expensive so he’s going to relax in a pub near the theatre.

Saturday 25/8
Today the plan is perhaps a shopping trip to Jersey Mills or a walk across Brooklyn Bridge – we’ll see how we feel.

Sunday 26/8 (Our anniversary)
Mass at St Patrick’s Cathedral before a quick visit to Carlos Bakery to pick up some cookies for dd who is a massive Cake Boss fan. We then have a transfer back to JFK for our flight back to Dublin.

So that’s it. My brief pre-trip report turned into something a little longer. Only 5 days till we go.:):):)