theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   LA First Timers (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1156747)

dreamingdisney 6 Jan 20 09:24 PM

LA First Timers

Hello,

We're planning a trip for December and will have 5 day Disney passes so will be staying in Anaheim but currently undecided whether we'll do 5 full days or 4 full days and an evening after we fly in(opinions?). We'll then have either 1.5 days or 2.5 days to see LA and are looking for accommodation suggestions? So far on our list, the things we want to see are; Griffith Observatory, hike the Hollywood sign, Santa Monica Pier, Rodeo Drive and the Grove so would like to be situated reasonably for as many of these as possible?

I know lots of people don't like LA but whilst in Anaheim it seems silly not to take the time to go seen as we aren't likely to go back to LA.

Thank you :)

zoemoo 6 Jan 20 09:49 PM

We did all of those things but since we didn’t have a car we split our stay between Disney and Hollywood. It’s not necessary but traffic in LA is mega so you will need to allow plenty of tine for it!
You can DO Disney in a couple of days but we strolled round in 4 and loved the theming and atmosphere so spent longer enjoying that too.
You’ll have a great time

Bad Pink Tink 6 Jan 20 10:08 PM

Agree with doing a split stay. I have been going to LA / Hollywood / Disneyland every June for the last 10 years.

I stay in LA / Hollywood and over the years I have been to
  • Universal Studios
  • Warner Bros Studio Tour
  • Paramount Studios Tour
  • Sony Pictures Studios Tour
  • Walk of Fame
  • Madame Tussauds
  • Hollywood and Highland Mall
  • Farmers Marker / The Grove Shopping Plaza
  • Santa Monica
  • The Museum of Tolerance / Holocaust Exhibition
  • South Pasadena
  • Hop on Hop Off Bus Tour
  • La Brea Tar Pits
  • Rodeo Drive / Beverley Hills

I usually stay in budget motels and I have also stayed in 2 AirBnB's

Then I switch to Anaheim for Disneyland.
I have done 1 day, 2 days and 3 days in the parks. This year in June 2020 I am planning on 4 days.

The whole LA general area is huge. For example, it would be about an hours drive , depending on traffic, from Walk of Fame to Disneyland.

Driving in LA is insane. There are huge 4 or 5 lane motorways connecting the different areas, and the connecting junctions on these motorways are like spaghetti junction.

Traffic builds out of no where at any time of of the day. These are two random images I pulled from Google , which would be typical of LA traffic

dreamingdisney 7 Jan 20 10:23 PM

Thank you both much for your responses, lots of information there which is really appreciated! Could you suggest any areas where I should look for accommodation? Thanks again :spin:

cornishfrogboy 7 Jan 20 10:26 PM

The Reagan Library in the Simi Valley is excellent.
6 Flags in Valencia has some of the biggest rides I have seen.
A night spent on RMS Queen Mary at Long Beach was a highlight. (See Trip review link below).

dexdis 16 Jan 20 07:02 PM

Have always stayed in Anahiem and driven up into L.A, it's easily simple drive if you avoid rush hour. I have done Griffith park, the Hollywood song and onto Santa Monica pier in one day.

lynne6705 16 Jan 20 09:40 PM

We stayed in the Burbank area and it was great to see the sights of LA from there, felt very safe but not too far out