theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Beyond the Parks (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sharks teeth/Casperson Beach (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1160342)

Dollymixture 6 Feb 20 11:04 PM

Sharks teeth/Casperson Beach

The plan is to stay at Sanibel Island for shelling and then to leave around midday to head to next destination of Weeki Wachee. I noticed that around Venice would be a good place to stop and maybe we could look for sharks teeth.
How likely are we to find any? With 4 kids and two autistic I wouldn’t want to get their hopes up unless it’s fairly likely. Is the time of day important? I’m guessing we would be in the area from 2pm to sunset.
Is there much else to do in that area? Nice family restaurants?
Thanks for any advice

7SeasSailor 6 Feb 20 11:23 PM

You can find plenty of Sharks teeth but there is a system. Google "how do I find shark teeth at caspersen" and some sites will come up, start reading. You can walk up and down the beach looking and you will find some but its hit or miss. Go onto google maps and look for Sharky's on the pier, that is where you need to be. There is a beach shop next to the beach and they will rent out Florida snow shovels for a couple of hours. Go down to the waterline and get knee deep and start sifting. There are toilets and showers available near to the shop. Sharky's is a bar selling all sorts of ice cold drinks, the restaurant has a very good menu. We go just about every year. PM me if you need more info.

Dollymixture 8 Feb 20 01:39 AM

Thank you, that’s really useful info :)

Think we will give. A go and maybe eat at Sharky’s as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor (Post 14276366)
You can find plenty of Sharks teeth but there is a system. Google "how do I find shark teeth at caspersen" and some sites will come up, start reading. You can walk up and down the beach looking and you will find some but its hit or miss. Go onto google maps and look for Sharky's on the pier, that is where you need to be. There is a beach shop next to the beach and they will rent out Florida snow shovels for a couple of hours. Go down to the waterline and get knee deep and start sifting. There are toilets and showers available near to the shop. Sharky's is a bar selling all sorts of ice cold drinks, the restaurant has a very good menu. We go just about every year. PM me if you need more info.

Manny Haines 14 Feb 20 05:15 PM

Last year we were staying up the coast and visited Boca Grande beach on a few occasions, we found loads.

jacko! 14 Feb 20 08:58 PM

We have been a few time now. Stop off at the pier and rent a Snow shovel. Within 10 mins of digging you will start to find them. My Son says it was his favourite part of the holiday.

princess allie 15 Feb 20 12:10 AM

Sorry to jump on this thread, but would we find any now? Flying out tomorrow x

Manny Haines 15 Feb 20 10:42 AM

Depends in what beach you go to.
On Boca Grande we used our hands just at the waters edge.
The villa also had a shell basket but that thing just took the fun out of it as you scooped up loads of sand, shells and teeth in one go then sifted through. You actually get to the point that you start throwing away “rubbish” ones...

archibald 15 Feb 20 11:16 AM

We've been a couple of times - when the kids were small I secretly bought a few to make it easier and a guaranteed 'find'.

7SeasSailor 19 Feb 20 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess allie (Post 14288469)
Sorry to jump on this thread, but would we find any now? Flying out tomorrow x

Yes, you will find them on any day.

emmabrown68 19 Feb 20 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archibald (Post 14288827)
We've been a couple of times - when the kids were small I secretly bought a few to make it easier and a guaranteed 'find'.

This is the kind of thing I would do. I know they have to learn how to take disappointment but little things like this can be magical for them!