theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Last Trip before Lockdown. Mar 2020. Pre Travel Day. The Gatwick Getaway. (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1178616)

WileyCoyote 16 Aug 20 04:47 PM

Last Trip before Lockdown. Mar 2020. Pre Travel Day. The Gatwick Getaway.

Monday March 2nd Pre Travel Day

The pre trip nonsense is HERE

Oh pre travel day - never will I take you for granted again since this Corona craziness :(

We both worked up till lunchtime - I was still a freelance contractor at the time so every day really did count in terms of pay!:erm:

Online check in opened at 10 and both of us were able to check in fine - so that was good - no one being selected for extra questions :thumbs-up

Packing had been a bit tricky - March is so unpredictable with the weather and the forecast suggested that it could be a bit nippy :nonono: so we had a mix of stuff in the case.

We packed just the medium size case inside the larger one - in clear anticipation of some purchases being made.

What do I mean we? LOL We all know interference in packing is a big matrimonial no no so it was definitely all on me :pgig:

We also went with one smallish piece of hand luggage each - ditching the wheeled cabin cases and a first outing for my Mickey rucksack

Ah see the trusty snooze pillow too .. love it :zzz:

We left home around 2.30 and had a good run to Gatwick, taking just under 2 hours. Pretty decent and M25 was not horrendous

Sandman had completed its refurb from when I last stayed and it looked very impressive

the room was great

Only in these trip starved days could a pic of a hotel shower be so exciting :pgig::omg:

and I can report that we had no laundry or passport traumas - a very positive start. :D

I spent some time sorting out our overnight and travel stuff so there would be no :eek: moments at the eleventh hour later tonight after we have left the case at bag drop

At 5.15 (such precision) we ordered a taxi to take us over for twilight bag drop - not before a quick check on the Dibb about whether we would need to take our hand luggage as well - which seemed to be a no so we headed off with just the case.

Taxi cost £8.50

Look away now if the sight of the Departure Terminal at Gatwick is going to make you emotional!

It was very quiet - took less than 10 minutes to do the bag drop - with the case weighing in at 21.9kg.

Always great to have got rid of the case.

Time to relax now for Dinner

I had a voucher for a half price gin and tonic

So that was a double, for the price of a single :d: £4.50
Just another look at it……..

I had the macaroni cheese with bacon £11.95

Which was really very good. Surprisingly so. Yummy.

Andy had the fish and chips .. it’s haddock by the way £13.95

Made a change from the Premier Inn restaurant. Which was good as we weren’t staying there :pgig:

We both really enjoyed it.

Now we needed to get back to the hotel and what a faff this turned out to be.

With no taxi rank to be found, we approached the little taxi booth near the entrance and as he started to order us a car we asked the price ……

Sharp intake of breath

£19 :omg:

SAY WHAT ? :nonono:

More than double what it had cost to get here? No thanks

We took the monorail over to the other terminal thinking we might be better off there but nope - same set up

Welcome to rip off Britain travellers - that just can’t be right to charge such overpriced fares ...:mad:

So back on the monorail and feeling a bit peeved by now we went out to the front of the terminal and approached a taxi driver - who told us they are not allowed to make walk up pick-ups - they can only collect from hotels.

Making a note of the cab firm number we went and stood in the lobby of the Premier Inn and phoned

Bingo - 5 minutes later a taxi arrived and whizzed us back for the princely sum of ... £8.50- - exactly the same as it had cost to get us here.

Back at the hotel we had a quick drink but couldn’t really be bothered with staying in the bar.

Andy had a few last things to sort out for work so it was back to the room for some pre travel night tv - when even if its rubbish it’s good because frankly you just don’t care.

We weren’t up late and of course turned the lights off in full expectation(not) of deep and uninterrupted slumber. :zzz::zzz:

Nah - tomorrow is travel day innit - who needs to sleep !:D

caj 16 Aug 20 05:11 PM

A smooth travel day ... unheard of!

Fuellady 16 Aug 20 06:00 PM

What? No dramas? I have to say I'm a little disappointed ;) Seriously though, it's nice to have a pre-travel day go well. What a cheek re. the taxi back to your hotel :mad: Thank goodness you managed to find a way to circumvent their ridiculous system. Food at Nicholas Culpeper looks very nice, and the bonus of a half price drink too - win!

Flower2603 16 Aug 20 06:03 PM

Ooh another trip report to read from Amanda, can't wait. Thanks for cheering us up as I'm sitting at home Dibbin' instead of being at WDW right now, thanks to corona.

:):)

WIGGYSMUM 16 Aug 20 07:03 PM

The hotel looks fab. I have missed no pre hotel stay this year , it is a total highlight for me , dinner not made by self , bathroom cleaned by someone else and crisp bed sheets I’ve not had to press ... heaven ;)
Looking forward to travel day :spin:

mick 16 Aug 20 07:09 PM

A good pre travel day what a pain with the taxi:nonono:

Joan :wave:

mrsdjh 16 Aug 20 08:07 PM

The hotel and the meal both look lovely. How cheeky about the taxi fare!

OB1LukeLucas 16 Aug 20 08:44 PM

Pleased you finally got sorted with a taxi and managed the same fare back.

Loobylou_82 16 Aug 20 08:51 PM

Yay ! A trip report. So missing these. You just managed to squeeze your trip in before lockdown. Looking forward to reading this.

WileyCoyote 17 Aug 20 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caj (Post 14615476)
A smooth travel day ... unheard of!

I know! Who even are we!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuellady (Post 14615549)
What? No dramas? I have to say I'm a little disappointed ;) Seriously though, it's nice to have a pre-travel day go well. What a cheek re. the taxi back to your hotel :mad: Thank goodness you managed to find a way to circumvent their ridiculous system. Food at Nicholas Culpeper looks very nice, and the bonus of a half price drink too - win!

Ha ha obviously the less planning time you have the less scope for drama . Hmm 🤔
Wasn’t that such a rip off. I felt really bad for people arriving in the UK who would have no idea. I mean I know there’s a premium but wow.
Culpeper’s was fab. I hope they have survived lockdown

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flower2603 (Post 14615558)
Ooh another trip report to read from Amanda, can't wait. Thanks for cheering us up as I'm sitting at home Dibbin' instead of being at WDW right now, thanks to corona.

:):)

Oh that’s 😭
Hope it helps xx

Quote:

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM (Post 14615643)
The hotel looks fab. I have missed no pre hotel stay this year , it is a total highlight for me , dinner not made by self , bathroom cleaned by someone else and crisp bed sheets I’ve not had to press ... heaven ;)
Looking forward to travel day :spin:

It’s a great bit of the holiday isn’t it. All the anticipation and a big plus as this hotel is really nice.
Travel day was pretty good too 😁

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 14615655)
A good pre travel day what a pain with the taxi:nonono:

Joan :wave:

Yes a complete pain. But an otherwise painless pre travel day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsdjh (Post 14615758)
The hotel and the meal both look lovely. How cheeky about the taxi fare!

Hello. Yes they were both fab.
Andy was 😡 about the fare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas (Post 14615840)
Pleased you finally got sorted with a taxi and managed the same fare back.

Yes It would have made it an expensive meal and bag drop otherwise ! Shame no shuttle to the hotel. Just that bit further out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 (Post 14615860)
Yay ! A trip report. So missing these. You just managed to squeeze your trip in before lockdown. Looking forward to reading this.

Ah thank you.
We did time it right for sure !