theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   how much cash do you take for a short holiday abroad? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1116423)

FlorayG 14 Feb 19 09:32 AM

how much cash do you take for a short holiday abroad?

I'm off to Lanzarote for 5 days :grin:
It's an all-inclusive resort and I'm going with my cousin for a chill-out break.
I have no idea how much cash in Euros to take. I have a no-charge-abroad credit card I can use to buy anything I want in shops and anything extra I buy at the resort. I can't think what I will want cash for but I'm bound to need a bit; but I don't want to come home with some Euros that aren't worth changing back again
What do other people take on short holidays? What do you use cash for?

Blue nose 14 Feb 19 09:37 AM

If I'm all inclusive probably 20 or 30 euros. I don't change back in between trips though so would just keep any left over

mitch84 14 Feb 19 09:37 AM

I'd just go to the cash point at the airport and take out £100 for drinks/snacks out, that sort of thing

Make sure you select to be charged in euro at the cash point not gbp, always refuse the conversion

novocastrian 14 Feb 19 09:39 AM

tenerife AI for a week in october we took €200 for 3 of us

the mrs did spend a bit at siam mall on a post office CC

some of the cash spent on the odd drink out & about, cabs and a few bit n bobs from the supermarket

didnt spend it all obviously

could easily go and not spend a penny imo

PoohBears#1fan 14 Feb 19 09:55 AM

For a week in Lanzarote we take around 200 euros, we shop at the big store near the airport after landing (much more choice and not tourist prices) and really don't find that we need much actual cash, it's just drinks when out and about really.

Beth_Disney 14 Feb 19 09:56 AM

Depends on whether you're planning to eat and drink outside of your hotel. If I was planning to relax at the hotel then I would take about €100 and that's for snacks/water for the room from the nearest supermarket, food at the airport coming home and so we have a few €€ 'just in case'.

I don't change it back to £ when I get back either. I either keep if for the next holiday or pass it on to family when they go away.

mitch84 14 Feb 19 09:58 AM

Yeah I'd defo never change them back, someone (usually me) always needs euros.

Definitely don't get them changed in the UK though, SUCH a rip off

Guest 14 Feb 19 10:05 AM

I would maybe get £100 or so for taxis or incidentals. Any other shopping I would just pay for with a card.

Jakey Neverland 14 Feb 19 10:25 AM

Also bare in mind there will be tourist tax to pay so take some to cover that which will be around 2.30 euros a day per adult. I would take maybe 60 euros and a card as back up.

FlorayG 14 Feb 19 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland (Post 13689466)
Also bare in mind there will be tourist tax to pay so take some to cover that which will be around 2.30 euros a day per adult. I would take maybe 60 euros and a card as back up.

Tourist tax? whaaaat? ! :erm:
what on earth is that and how do they levy it? :confused2