theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Copenhagen Feb 2017... (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1008258)

charly77 25 Feb 17 11:51 PM

Copenhagen Feb 2017...

I went for three nights so thought I'd just round it up in one report. I struggled to find any information when I researched so hopefully this may help someone.

We flew EasyJet from Gatwick, flight was fine though they are very strict on the hand luggage! We landed around 10.45 local time and managed to catch a train to Central Station (cost 76DK) so we were actually in the city by 11.15! Amazing!

Checked into hotel and our room was ready so we quickly freshened up and unpacked whilst munching on complimentary pastries...yum!

We headed out to look at the local area, unfortunately Tivoli Gardens was shut until April...this is actually the 'theme park' that Walt Disney got his inspiration from for Disneyland!

We grabbed some lunch in a small coffee shop, the Danish have a great way of life which they call Hygge. It simply recognises that feeling of a cosy, charming moment, its all candles, low lighting, cushions and blankets! Look it up, its fascinating and a way of life I may adopt! Anyway back to lunch, the coffee shop was so cosy and lovely I didn't want to actually leave...

One thing I will say, it was very expensive to eat. I had an Americano and salmon pasta salad and it was 1000DK which is around £12.50! However it was yummy! They also charge you for tap water.

The weather today was beautiful, the sun was shining with a perfect blue sky. There was snow on the ground but none fell during our stay.

We jumped on a HOHO bus which we had already purchased through Viator. There was only one tour running which took us to all the places we wanted to experience so we were content with that. We stopped at Little Mermaid...

The bus tour was fab, the commentary was very informative and I would definitely recommend doing it.
We hopped off at Nyhavn and had a wander. So beautiful especially with the blue sky!

We had some churros, rude not to! Freshly cooked with melted chocolate...:spin:

We wandered slowly back to the hotel as the sun set, there happened to be a wagamamas near so we grabbed dinner there. Had an early night as we were up at 2am this morning...

Day 2:

We woke around 8.30 which was nice. Breakfast at the hotel was great, a brilliant selection. The tea was a bit random so I grabbed teabags from the room.

We walked up to Gammel Strand to catch the HOHO boat trip. Again a great tour which I would highly recommend. We sat outside as the sun was shining but it was very, very cold. Views were great though which made up for it!

From here we headed over to Ostergade and discovered a rooftop coffee shop.

We found a bakery so bought some pastries for later, it was called Holm and was very trendy.

I had a vanilla one and it was soooo good!

We went to Christianborg Tower, it was free entry and the views were spectacular. I wanted to go up the round tower but I'm glad we found this first as it was higher and like I said it was free which is always good.

From here we walked to Rosenborg Castle and Gardens, another stunning view.

We went across to the Botanical Gardens, unfortunately this was shut but the grounds were nice to walk around.

We walked up to the CPH Food Market which was great fun, so many different stalls to check out! We wanted to try a smorrebrod but were still full from the pastry so gave it a miss.

We were starting to feel rather tired now so headed back towards our hotel, as it was near to central station we thought we'd pop into The Hotel Plaza and have a drink in The Library Bar, we had read about this in the EasyJet magazine.

Tonight we had booked a restaurant called Mother, it was recommended by a friend who had been in October. It was set in the meatpacking district. We did get a bit lost which was quite frustrating as it was quite cold. We got there in the end and it was worth it. Best pizza I have ever had!

Day 3:

Today we were heading to Sweden! Up early for breakfast and stocked up on breakfast. We caught the train from central station to Malmo, we wanted to experience going over Oresund Bridge. It cost 176DK (about £22) for both of us as a single trip. We couldn't work out how to get a return ticket but we had changed up some Swedish Krona so we would just sort return tickets the other end.

The journey took just under an hour as we had to get off at CPH airport to have our passports checked at immigration. It was a simple procedure which took minutes. From the central station we headed straight to Lilla Torg, a quaint little square which to me summarised what I was expecting.

We were coming back later as my friend had discovered a cheesecake café! we started to walk up to the dockyard as I wanted to see a skyscraper called the Turning Torso. It was worth the long trek!

The weather had begun to turn and not in a good way... The winds were picking up and clouds moving fast so we headed back towards Lilla Torg. We stopped by St Perti Church, I'll let the photos tell you why...

We then had built up an appetite so went in search of Pronto the cheesecake café. Decisions, Decisions...

I opted for Nutella and it was very nice. The cheesecake is all the same its the toppings that differ. The slices are quite big which is good as it worked out at around £10 a slice :omg:

It was so cold by now and we were struggling to warm up so decided to head back to Copenhagen. It was a shame but Malmo is a place I would like to pop back and visit in the warmer months as it has so much to offer. We caught the train back with no problems and bizarrely enough we didn't have to pass through immigration so the trip only took half an hour. We went straight to the hotel and showered to try and warm up. We were so tired but headed out for dinner. We ended up at Hard Rock Café, cocktails were 241, anything to save a bit of money ;)

It was fab as they had live music on that night too. Was a great last night! Think the cocktails went down far too well :D

Day 4:

We had a nice lye in and a late breakfast before checking out.
Today we wanted to see the changing of the guard so headed out to Amalianborg.

It was fantastic! The music was brilliant, a great experience.

Next we checked out the marble church which is based on St Peters in Rome.

It was beautiful,

We then headed back towards Nyhavn and across the bridge to Christianhavn where we headed to the food market, it was so good. We wanted to have a smorrebrod for lunch but the choices were a bit rubbish or maybe we're just fussy. We found a table then went off one by one to look, I think we were tired by this point!

I had a falafel salad with chips and humus, oh my it was so good :thumbs-up

We rolled ourselves out of here...we passed some 'paper trees' which were designed by Yoko Ono, all very cool!

We walked up towards the Saviours church. We could see the steeple/tower from our hotel and wanted to see it close up.

There are 400 steps up to the top of it, unfortunately its closed until April! Ill just have to plan a return trip in April!

The church inside again was beautiful...

On our way back to the hotel the temperature had dropped so we popped into another bakery called Lagkagehuset and warmed up with a pastry and coffee. We spotted the bakery earlier so knew we had to experience it...

We were good and shared the pastry...:d: They were so good I bought some to take home.

And that was it. We went to the airport and chilled until our flight.
Over 4 days we walked just over 30 miles, and I wondered why I was so tired :pgig: However considering all the food I ate I managed to lose half a pound at Slimming World :tongue:

Anyway Copenhagen is a wonderful city with lots to do. I would recommend it and I will be back...watch this space!

Melbatb 26 Feb 17 06:49 AM

Wow - you packed a lot in. It looks like a great city to visit. The pastries look delicious!

AntonyJ 26 Feb 17 08:05 PM

We were then too!

Off to Stockholm in a couple of weeks for long weekend, then Malmo for long weekend in May

P&S 26 Feb 17 10:02 PM

Thank you for posting that very informative :grin:

Snaps 5 Mar 17 11:08 AM

Great photos. Thanks for taking the time to post. Been looking at short breaks in Copenhagen for some time now.

tiggersbestmate 5 Mar 17 06:16 PM

Great report, really informative and your food photos have my mouth watering😊 Thanks for posting

charly77 7 Mar 17 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melbatb (Post 12317683)
Wow - you packed a lot in. It looks like a great city to visit. The pastries look delicious!

Best pastries I have honestly ever tasted! I'm trying to organise a day trip just to have another :pgig:

charly77 7 Mar 17 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntonyJ (Post 12319971)
We were then too!

Off to Stockholm in a couple of weeks for long weekend, then Malmo for long weekend in May

Aha small world! Oh I'd love to know how you find Stockholm. I enjoyed Malmo, just wish it was warmer so May would be a perfect time to visit!

charly77 7 Mar 17 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P&S (Post 12320458)
Thank you for posting that very informative :grin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaps (Post 12338000)
Great photos. Thanks for taking the time to post. Been looking at short breaks in Copenhagen for some time now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggersbestmate (Post 12339096)
Great report, really informative and your food photos have my mouth watering😊 Thanks for posting

You're welcome. It was a really lovely short break which I would highly recommend!

Jamthemackem 7 Mar 17 09:06 PM

Looks lovely