theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Bungalows (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1149182)

mariechez 12 Oct 19 08:06 AM

Bungalows

We having been toying with the idea of downsizing for a fair few years but cant wrench ourselves away from our house which we love. With the OH being made redundant and at 63 this maybe be the push we need.

There is a bungalow for sale nearby which we may look at but how does everyone who lives in one get on with ventilation in the warm months (most of the year for me ). I always have a bedroom window and I don't know how I would manage in the summer. I know there are the small window openers but I don't know if that would be enough. I don't really want AC.

TIA

Gryff 12 Oct 19 10:02 AM

Never entered my head not to have all our bedroom hopper windows open when we lived in an bungalow or in this house where our bedroom is on the ground floor

aqualiv 12 Oct 19 10:15 AM

We live in a bungalow and it is so cool in the summer!
Our old house would get so hot upstairs in the summer
Our bedroom is north facing which helps and we ve had skylights put in the hall way and study

I always sleep with our little window open

taylaboo 12 Oct 19 10:21 AM

We live in a bungalow and sleep with the windows open but on the latch, locked. In high summer we leave the windows in the bathroom and loo opposite our bedroom open too to create a breeze. We downsized to a run down bungalow when I was 56 and completely renovated it. I can't imagine living back in a house now.

Mr Tom Morrow 12 Oct 19 10:21 AM

Near where I live all the bungalows being bought are then demolished and traditional 2 storey houses built. That's because the plot sizes are big plus there isn't the demand for them anymore.

I would never consider one due to the fact we like windows open a lot and the security aspect during the day would concern me. Not so much the night time as it would just be the one bedroom.

OP. So I've been no help to you at all.:erm:

Mexy02 12 Oct 19 10:22 AM

My mum has some special locks on the window openers which can only be opened from the inside which allow ventilation . Ours have them in the house windows but the bungalow is a lot cooler than out house in summer and warmer in winter .

mariechez 12 Oct 19 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gryff (Post 14122268)
Never entered my head not to have all our bedroom hopper windows open when we lived in an bungalow or in this house where our bedroom is on the ground floor

:confused2 I wouldn't be able to sleep.

mariechez 12 Oct 19 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 14122303)
Near where I live all the bungalare being bought are then demolished and traditional 2 storey houses built. That's because the plot sizes are big plus there isn't the demand for them anymore.

I would never consider one due to the fact we like windows open a lot and the security aspect during the day would concern me. Not so much the night time as it would just be the one bedroom.

Er no ;)

mariechez 12 Oct 19 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylaboo (Post 14122301)
We live in a bungalow and sleep with the windows open but on the latch, locked. In high summer we leave the windows in the bathroom and loo opposite our bedroom open too to create a breeze. We downsized to a run down bungalow when I was 56 and completely renovated it. I can't imagine living back in a house now.

That's good to hear.

EssexSue 12 Oct 19 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 14122303)
Near where I live all the bungalows being bought are then demolished and traditional 2 storey houses built. That's because the plot sizes are big plus there isn't the demand for them anymore.

They are a very rare commodity round here too Tom. Some are being pulled down and absolute mansions built on the site (which is why you can pay circa £1million for a small rundown bungalow in Loughton) or they are putting two or three houses on the site which is more where we live. Our local.primary school has just pulled down the caretakers house and three houses are going on there, unbelievable!
Unfortunately the downsizing option for older people where we are are the overpriced McCarthy and Stone flats.