theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   BA seat choice prices (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1180973)

dil2373 30 Sep 20 03:46 PM

BA seat choice prices

Hi really sorry if this has been asked before.
We are planning to travel next September by BA LGW to Tampa September 21, economy out & business return (a treat for my 85 year old Mother in law)
Does anyone know what the charge is to reserve seats. as we need to sit next to her.
thanks

stanleycamel 30 Sep 20 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dil2373 (Post 14664261)
Hi really sorry if this has been asked before.
We are planning to travel next September by BA LGW to Tampa September 21, economy out & business return (a treat for my 85 year old Mother in law)
Does anyone know what the charge is to reserve seats. as we need to sit next to her.
thanks

It depends on where you sit - try a dummy booking for 1 replicating your dates and the page after where you put the name and contact details will show what the costs are. Then just come out of the website.

Would your MIL need assistance onboard due to a disability as that may qualify you for free seating - full details can be found on the BA website.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat

I assume that no one in the travelling party is a BAEC member with Silver status or above.

dil2373 30 Sep 20 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleycamel (Post 14664266)
It depends on where you sit - try a dummy booking for 1 replicating your dates and the page after where you put the name and contact details will show what the costs are. Then just come out of the website.

Would your MIL need assistance onboard due to a disability as that may qualify you for free seating - full details can be found on the BA website.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat

I assume that no one in the travelling party is a BAEC member with Silver status or above.

Hi just bronze status but I will try the assistance route as she would need help. Thank you for you help

hawk299 30 Sep 20 08:10 PM

To add to this, can anyone give a rough estimate on a standard £33 seat would cost in Avios points (you have to go through with the booking to see it)

Is it 1000's or 10'000's+

Wazowskiscar 1 Oct 20 06:46 AM

If I remember correctly a business class seat was around 60-80 quid each to book when I last did it a couple of years ago.

Economy (I almost booked for mine to America but never did thankfully otherwise that would have been more money to claw back) - Exit rows started as £85 to book ( and rose to £100). Front section of economy cost more, I believe some seats were around £15 and some were more... memory is failing though! For the sake of comfort tbh it’s just part of the price really. Business you can’t go too wrong (I prefer the window but would want to be stuck in that middle pair with a stranger. Also the window requires a bit of a hop over someone’s legs to get out unless your at the back row)
Economy though, definitely pay, most do, keep an eye on the seat map in Manage my Booking and if it starts to fill up rapidly, book!

ABZDisney 1 Oct 20 08:32 AM

I hate BA's policy of charging to reserve seats especially in Club & First & now actively avoid flying them across the Atlantic unless I have no other choice.
However if you don't qualify for free seat assignment & sitting together is important then it's worth paying to reserve.

stanleycamel 1 Oct 20 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABZDisney (Post 14664883)
I hate BA's policy of charging to reserve seats especially in Club & First & now actively avoid flying them across the Atlantic unless I have no other choice.
However if you don't qualify for free seat assignment & sitting together is important then it's worth paying to reserve.

Just for information BA don't charge for seating in First - but I do feel that their Club seat costs are high.

Jay_ 1 Oct 20 09:06 AM

For our booking in June '21 seats are between £89-£117 per seat per flight in Club World.

Slightly annoying considering the flight price to begin with, but hey, that's the rules.

I would add that I feel it is 100% worth it in Economy to get a better seat (i.e more legroom, nearer the front etc). We flew out a few years ago in Economy, but on an exit row, and it was brilliant, even for me at 6'4. Worth the small price for 9hrs-odd of comfort.

Kat11 1 Oct 20 09:29 AM

We have club seats for next July (going to exchange for vouchers) they had a 20% off sale on the seats which ranged from £70-£85 per seat now they’ve gone up to between £89-£108! That would add £800 onto our booking if we were to purchase seats. Another One of the reasons we are going to exchange for vouchers and use them for hotel bookings instead.

Kat

Peko 1 Oct 20 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk299 (Post 14664558)
To add to this, can anyone give a rough estimate on a standard £33 seat would cost in Avios points (you have to go through with the booking to see it)

Is it 1000's or 10'000's+

Thousands rather than tens of thousands for a £33 reservation. Not sure of the current "exchange rate" BA is using for this, but would guess this would cost in the region of 6,000 Avios per person.