theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Post Your Barbecue Food and Discussion Thread (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1198126)

YorkshireT 27 Jun 21 12:25 PM

Post Your Barbecue Food and Discussion Thread

Hi Everyone

Some may know I’m passionate about barbecue - all kinds from grilling, searing, to low and slow smoking.

I love seeing what people have barbecued and also seeing new and creative ways to barbecue.

We have periodically posted our creations on other threads but I thought a dedicated thread may be a good idea. Please post your creations.

Today I just bought a lovely slab of pork ribs from the farm shop of a pig farm near us (£5.95) and I’ve rubbed with Angus and Oink ‘Sweet Bones and Butts’.*

I’ll be smoking it at 225-250 f (The Americans use Fahrenheit and when I started smoking it was mainly US sites, so I always work in that and not Celsius) , and anticipate it will need 2 hours smoke, 2 hours wrapped, and then maybe 30 mins to an hour unwrapped and mopped with Sweet Baby Ray Barbecue sauce. So a 4.5 hour ish cook until very tender. Just cranking up the Kamado now. I’ll post the finished product later.

* A pork ‘butt’ in barbecue parlance is not a cut from the backside but it’s bone in pork shoulder used to make pulled pork, hence that’s why the rub has this name.

YorkshireT 27 Jun 21 12:46 PM

Here’s the charcoal I use. ‘Fogon’ bought online £30 for 2 10kg bags delivered. This is the best stuff I’ve found, as you can see, huge chunks.

Some applewood also for this cook.

YorkshireT 27 Jun 21 02:37 PM

Every hour spritz with apple juice. Wish I’d put 2 racks on now.

Gryff 27 Jun 21 02:56 PM

YT
Don’t know if it will be of interest to you but there a new BBQ / smoke / sauce shop at
Posner Park called Hillbilly Heaven or Pelican Bay on line a company based in Dundee Florida do some amazing rubs sauces etc

YorkshireT 27 Jun 21 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gryff (Post 15028207)
YT
Don’t know if it will be of interest to you but there a new BBQ / smoke / sauce shop at
Posner Park called Hillbilly Heaven or Pelican Bay on line a company based in Dundee Florida do some amazing rubs sauces etc

Sounds good may check it out.

Ribs are two hours in now. So I’m going to do the ‘Texas Crutch’ which is wrapping the ribs in foil with some liquid. This helps retain moisture. I’m using apple juice here again but sometimes use beer.
I’m going to wrap for 1 hour here I think as the ribs were already tenderising. Then they will get another hour out in the open again.

Gryff 27 Jun 21 03:22 PM

Pelican Bay is murder to find on line here keeps coming up as the Prison we normally just order from the villa it arrives the next day
Have t been in Hillbilly Heaven yet but DS1 has his order written out for our next trip

Kate 27 Jun 21 03:58 PM

My husband does lots of smoked meat when he can. I will try and get some pics off him when he's back from work!

He does Brisket, pulled pork and my favourite beef ribs 😍

My job is to do sides. Some favourites are bacon wrapped onion rings. Cream cheese stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon and Mac and cheese.

I try and do my own BBQ sauce but use sweet baby rays if I haven't any left. We also have lots of Angus and oink rubs. They are really good!

We have got some inspiration from the BBQ pit boys on you tube. Love their stuff!

I love a good BBQ! 😍

YorkshireT 27 Jun 21 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 15028291)
My husband does lots of smoked meat when he can. I will try and get some pics off him when he's back from work!

He does Brisket, pulled pork and my favourite beef ribs 😍

My job is to do sides. Some favourites are bacon wrapped onion rings. Cream cheese stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon and Mac and cheese.

I try and do my own BBQ sauce but use sweet baby rays if I haven't any left. We also have lots of Angus and oink rubs. They are really good!

We have got some inspiration from the BBQ pit boys on you tube. Love their stuff!

I love a good BBQ! 😍

Sound great definitely get some pics up. And the sides. Where does he buy his briskets? Does he get full packer, flats, U.K. rolled etc? Difficult to source the correct stuff here.

I did beef ribs a few weeks ago. Get them from Costco.

YorkshireT 27 Jun 21 04:58 PM

Ok so they are back on the smoker unwrapped now, ETA 6pm. Given them the first mop with some Sweet Baby Rays.
They have a while to go, you know when ribs are done via the ‘toothpick’ test where it goes straight through and the ‘bend test’ where if you grab one end with tongs and pick up, the ribs bend under their own weight so they almost tear. We will also get some more pull back on the bone.
I’m not going competition style here ( fall off the bone is not competition style, they should have some bite fall off the bone is a big no no in serious barbecue but I like it near that) but will get near fall off the bone family style.

Sandraoh40 27 Jun 21 05:20 PM

We had a bbq at friends last night. Nothing on the scale that you do but great nonetheless. We had corn on the cob for the first time done on the bbq. Really lovely. I make a very good southern style American potato salad and I made key lime pie for desert.
It’s just such a great way to eat. 😊