theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Portable air conditioning unit (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1137931)

SquishTheWhale 22 Jul 19 02:58 PM

Portable air conditioning unit

My husband wants to buy a portable air conditioning unit to use in our bedroom. We've both been sleeping really badly the last few weeks and he thinks its because our bedroom is like a furnace in the summer- he's probably right.

Anyone have any advice or tips? Specifically on...

A) He thinks we can spend around £200 and get something decent that works. Is that correct? The last thing I want to do is end up both hot and poor if the thing is junk

B) We have a stand fan but he won't have it on at night because it's too loud and windy. Will an air con unit have the same problems?

C) Are they hideously expensive to run? Would we be better off just forking out for one of those fancy Dyson fans?

Oh and any specific model recommendations in the £200 bracket welcome!

Spooky 22 Jul 19 03:06 PM

if you don't like the noise from a fan you won't be able to cope with portable AC
They are VERY noisy

You can use them to bring the room temperature down before you go to bed for a few hours, but the temp will climb again pretty rapidly once it is off.

They are expensive to run, a dyson fan won't really offer much beyond the current fan you have now (may be a bit quieter - hard to qualify).

We do have a portable AC that has the ability to have a hose to run the "cold" end into the bedroom, but it is still fairly noisy, and also very heavy to move around upstairs.

FloridaNuts93 22 Jul 19 03:10 PM

I agree, if a fan is too noisy I think you will struggle with an AC unit. :grin:

SquishTheWhale 22 Jul 19 03:12 PM

Thanks both- that's exactly what I told him, it will be just as noisy or worse than the fan! He seemed to think I was wrong though.

tspill 22 Jul 19 03:26 PM

Our friends bought one and it is so noisy they cant use it so check the noise levels before buying. And it will be MUCH noisier in your quiet bedroom than it seems in a shop.

catherinesian 22 Jul 19 03:40 PM

We bought one, lasted about a week before we ordered a split fitted unit. Much, much too noisy to ever sleep with.
The split unit cost us about £600 all in, best monies we have ever spent. It's quiet as a mouse, you can just hear the sound of the moving air :D

DonnaD 22 Jul 19 04:04 PM

I would reccomend a good ceiling fan. Should be less noisy and more efficient than most fans.

vhm672 22 Jul 19 04:22 PM

I have a delonghi pinguino which is closer to the £700 mark than your budget. It is quieter than a lot but still makes a discernable fan noise although in central London if I couldn't sleep with a fan then I would have no chance with the people and traffic outside the flat.

Personally within your budget you are not going to get anything quiet or more effective than a fan.

As my flat goes from hot to the same temperature as the surface of the sun in summer I am well acquainted with fans and have a dyson. I actually don't rate it and have a pedestal fan for my bedroom from Costco which is much more effective when the air conditioner is not in use.

Mickey's Magic 22 Jul 19 04:26 PM

I'm currently sat next to one in the office and can safely say the noise is deafening!

lalabelle 22 Jul 19 04:26 PM

I would agree with DonnaD. a good ceiling fan is quiet and efficient. works well for us in our attic room