theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Car Hire & Transportation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   advice on flying indirect? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=939232)

Guest 14 Mar 16 05:40 PM

advice on flying indirect?

hi I am planning on travelling to Disney in October, and really don't want to pay the crazy prices on flights, so was wondering if anyone had any advice on flying indirect flights.
I've never done this before , and the thought is a little daunting , especially with a six ,and four year old. I am hoping to gain as much understanding as possible. as I am anxious about taking on this challenge with 2 young kids. any advice?:wave:

Huskies 14 Mar 16 05:48 PM

we did indirect last october we flew into miami. We had a 6,5,2 and 1 year old and we survived and really didn't think it was that bad.

Check in was really easy and we was given all boring passes at first check in. the flight was really good. when we got to miami we had to go through immigration and then collect our bags it was very well sign posted to where we had to re drop our bags.

Boarded the next plane and arrived in orlando on time and had the bonus of not having immigration or second bag drop.

The only problem (not really a problem as such) was the pushchair they told us on every flight that it would be at the door but it came out on the carousel every time so that was hard with having the two little ones.

On our second flight all 4 children were asleep when we landed so it was hard getting off the plane and without the pushchair was difficult but we would still do it again to save the money.

Huskies 14 Mar 16 05:49 PM

oh and on the way back our luggage was checked all the way through, we flew via chicargo and we didn't go land side at all there was an announcement on the plane to go to a gate and then we were taken to our gate of departure via a bus so didn't have to worry about luggage at all on the way back so was really easy.

Mjspin 14 Mar 16 11:29 PM

I am in the process of booking second trip that will be Indirect.

For us the cost saving massively outweighs the short delay. On our last trip we travelled through Atlanta to Daytona Beach. This saved £3,500 for the 7 of us - enough to pay for our accommodation and Park tickets!

A few pointers I would with out for are:

- Cross-city connections. For instance, one flight arrives at LHR and the next leaves from LGW or amongst the New York airports (EWR/JFK/LGA).

- Avoid last flight of the day where possible. In case of any missed connection, there may be the option of getting on a later flight.

General advice:

- Try and book with UK carrier. Depending on airline you booked with affects your rights to compensation on the US-UK leg.

- Maybe have a day flex on the end of the holiday in case flight over-sold. We were offered to bump to next day on our return but could not take it. Was a real shame as we were offered food and accommodation for 24 hours plus free return tickets anywhere on the Virgin network. By the time we were on the place I was kicking myself!

Guest 15 Mar 16 12:43 AM

I wouldn't choose to go indirect to anywhere where a viable direct option exists - it adds time and risk to something unnecessarily - yes it drives down cost but if saving £200 per ticket (£800 for our family) is the tipping point between being able to afford or not afford I would suggest that either way I couldn't afford it - so I'd save and go later

That being said I've been to many places that you can't fly to directly and we have always been just fine - if you do go indirect just make sure you avoid (as mentioned before) hopping between airports in cities (unless doing a hidden city ticket dodge) and short transfers - they just make things more stressful

For instance JFK to EWR airport in New York is an hour by car - but I've often sat in a car service for over 2'5 hours between the two airports. Equally LHR to LGW is anything between 45 minutes and 2 hours

ncmurray 15 Mar 16 03:46 AM

We have been many times, both direct and indirect... and while I will choose direct over indirect, both are just fine.

Actually, sometimes the break on an indirect flight works for the better... you get to stretch your legs, and you get to go through immigration in a less busy airport.

If you choose an indirect flight, I would point out that you would need at least 2 hours for a stopover, as you will need to pass through immigration, and find your gate for departure again. On the plus side, when you land in Orlando, you are all set to go :)

sky13 15 Mar 16 08:48 AM

I'll happily fly indirect if it's cheaper - though I'm usually solo so this is going to be a bit different from with kids!

Things to note about indirect flights

- As others have said, leave enough time for the stopovers. Immigration can take a while at the first arrival point in the US... plus there may be delays. And then having to go through TSA screening. So I would leave at least 2 hours on the outbound journey if not 3...

- Book the entire journey on a single ticket, so that your departure point is London (or wherever) and your arrival point is Orlando on the ticket. This is in case of any delays on say a LHR-EWR flight causing you to miss the EWR-MCO flight - the airline will usually do its best to sort things out and put you on an alternative EWR-MCO routing if your journey was LHR-MCO.

7SeasSailor 15 Mar 16 10:52 AM

Another one who is happy to fly indirect for the right savings.

Guest 15 Mar 16 11:29 AM

I'm going in August. Heathrow - overnight in Dublin- Dublin-Newark-Orlando and on way back Orlando-Chicago - Heathrow. It has cost £401 each. There are 5 of us going. £900 for a direct flight it's a no brainer. The £2500 saving has paid for accommodation and tickets.

Guest 15 Mar 16 02:55 PM

Why not have a look at the British Airways website? We are a family of four going on 14th May this year for 19 nights. We are flying from Newcastle to Heathrow and then from Heathrow to Miami and Miami - Orlando. On the return leg its back via Chicago. I have no problems with this -although if I was going for less nights I may re-consider.

BA is linked to American Airlines so our flight to Miami and the internal US flights are with AA. The short hops in the UK and the return Chicago flight are with BA.

All seats with AA are free to reserve whereas BA charge (unless you leave it to the last minute when it becomes free)

We got our flights and Hotel Accommodation also through BA as a package (Rosen Inn at Pointe, International Drive) for only £2600 in total which we thought was excellent value. So cheap in fact, that despite having a paid for hotel room for all 19 nights in a very central location to base ourselves in, we have booked a couple of days across in Clearwater and we are also staying in a family owned villa with pool for 4 nights to vary our stay.

By booking through BA our baggage gets booked through to our final airport on the outward and return trip which also reduces stress!