theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Mc donalds (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1132570)

Floridatilly 11 Jun 19 01:22 PM

Mc donalds

Has anyone/ does anyone work / worked at mc Donald’s?
What is it like? Good employee or not so good?
Are they flexible with hours & shifts?
Would they work around college hours etc?
Interested in any good, bad or indifferent experiences please
Thank you

Do5-BaG 11 Jun 19 01:42 PM

Not that I've worked there, but I had friends who had shifts in McDonalds while in College and University, their attitude was a bit give and take in regards to shifts, they where happy to try and accommodate and work around your study schedule, but they where also appreciative if you offered some flexibility to cover as and when needed or increase your shifts during half terms etc.

I also seem to remember they where good with wages, always seemed to pay above minimum.

Mexy02 11 Jun 19 02:00 PM

It’s a good rate of pay for their age ( above minimum wage) but ours is franchise so he pays slightly more but looks after staff . Ds has shifts that work round college and you can pick up availability easily . He enjoys it

dubletrub 11 Jun 19 02:15 PM

My DD started working at McDonald's at 16, they gave her the shifts she wanted, they gave her time off for exams and she was paid above the minimum wage. She worked there until she got a job at Primark which is much better pay but she learned a lot from her time at McDonald's.

Infinity Red 11 Jun 19 03:21 PM

My son's 17yr old friend has just started at a McDonalds, he's on £6 an hour and they'll work around his two day college fixed days.

daytonababe 11 Jun 19 03:51 PM

Some of my daughters friends worked there whilst at college .

It pays pretty well , and they fitted in around college but this meant some early mornings / later nights

I’m sure it’s like anywhere though and there are good and bad ones .

danisleigh 11 Jun 19 04:11 PM

My son has worked there since he turned 16 and will do his last shift this Sunday as he starts an apprenticeship next week. He is gutted to leave and at one point wanted to carry on working weekends as well as his full time job! They pay over the minimum for his age and are flexible and were brilliant when DS had his transplant and kept his job for him.

Cloverlady 11 Jun 19 04:17 PM

All three of my kids are students, and all now work at McDonalds part time, my youngest left another p/t job to work at McDonalds when they next recruited as the pay and flexibility was so much better.

They are very flexible and accommodating regarding hours, can chop change and rearrange hours pretty much as they like (Our son at university for example, is able to just work in university holidays) and they pay well too. Our other 2 kids will be able to stay on the books when they go to university next year so it suits them perfectly :thumbs-up

Plus they get free uniform, meals at work, and have social events like football teams and bowling nights etc.

They have all made good friends there too! :thumbs-up

shona 11 Jun 19 04:23 PM

My son works at McDonald’s part time outside school hours and loves it. He works two shifts a week, sometimes up to four. If there are any he can’t do there is a Facebook group and they just swap around. Some employers are too quick to sack youngsters if they can’t work a shift but in our experience McDonald’s aren’t like that.

Floridatilly 11 Jun 19 04:56 PM

Thank goodness it’s positive lol my daughter has been offered a part time job today. She is extremely shy and extremely nervous. But I think a part time job will do her good and help gain confidence.
So it’s been a big couple of weeks! She turned 16, finishes school on Friday and got her first job.