theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Ladies, around 50, if you get the invitation.. (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1163470)

Cocobean121 5 Mar 20 07:08 PM

Ladies, around 50, if you get the invitation..

For breast screening, please go!

I’ve just had my first, 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately they found something and I had to have further tests and a biopsy, I have family history of breast cancer also, but luckily today I got the all clear.

I initially was going to put the appointment off until after my holiday, but I would have probably forgotten and it would have been months before i thought about it again, but now I’m so glad I went, as they said I probably would never have felt it myself, it was only picked up on the mammogram.

I know us Dibbers are a sensible lot, but I was surprised at the take up rate, about 70%. Better than the cervical screening rate, but still not enough ladies looking after themselves properly.

To all the ladies that weren’t as lucky as I was today, I wish you all the luck in the world and send a big hug, my two weeks of waiting have been traumatic enough so I can’t imagine how ladies cope with a different diagnosis.

Look after yourselves girls xx

Mackenzies03 5 Mar 20 07:13 PM

Yes! If you get the invite please go, if not for yourself, then for all of us too young to be invited but have this awful disease!

I completely understand that we’re a small minority of breast CA statistics and that’s why we don’t get regular testing but all the more reason to go when you’re offered it - FOR FREE! (also why it’s important that everyone of every age and gender checks their breasts, armpits and collar bones regularly!)

Thank you for going for your screening and I am so happy that you got good news! Xx

Donaldfan 5 Mar 20 07:13 PM

I've had 3 screenings and got called back after all 3. There is no history of breast cancer in my family and those call backs are scary. Thankfully all was fine on each occasion.

mickeyspal 5 Mar 20 07:15 PM

Yes ladies go ! It's doesn't hurt , it's a little uncomfortable but worth it

Pumpkin Pie 5 Mar 20 07:21 PM

Yes please go - I was diagnosed with breast cancer aged 51 (no family history either).

Even if it is bad news there are quite a few of us on here who have survived to tell the tale.

Guest 5 Mar 20 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocobean121 (Post 14319926)
For breast screening, please go!

I’ve just had my first, 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately they found something and I had to have further tests and a biopsy, I have family history of breast cancer also, but luckily today I got the all clear.

I initially was going to put the appointment off until after my holiday, but I would have probably forgotten and it would have been months before i thought about it again, but now I’m so glad I went, as they said I probably would never have felt it myself, it was only picked up on the mammogram.

I know us Dibbers are a sensible lot, but I was surprised at the take up rate, about 70%. Better than the cervical screening rate, but still not enough ladies looking after themselves properly.

To all the ladies that weren’t as lucky as I was today, I wish you all the luck in the world and send a big hug, my two weeks of waiting have been traumatic enough so I can’t imagine how ladies cope with a different diagnosis.

Look after yourselves girls xx

Glad you had a happy outcome.

Agreed. Look after the girls, girls!

Loopylooloo 5 Mar 20 07:27 PM

Glad you are ok, thanks for the reminder x

Guest 5 Mar 20 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie (Post 14319943)
Yes please go - I was diagnosed with breast cancer aged 51 (no family history either).

Even if it is bad news there are quite a few of us on here who have survived to tell the tale.

Yes this, I was diagnosed aged 47 and no family history either, it's the club nobody wants to join, but thankfully is beatable.

moggitymog 5 Mar 20 07:39 PM

Definitely go, i was diagnosed at christmas age 43, currently having treatment. In the waiting room they write on the board how many people did not attend for screening in the month and its frightening, i've also seen people leave the waiting room because they feel they have been waiting too long to be seen.

lovedisney 5 Mar 20 07:40 PM

I got an invitation a few months ago thankfully it was all clear, my friend who is a couple of years older didn't get one, and was unfortunately diagnosed with breast cancer recently. She has had surgery and radiotherapy and is now ok. So even if you don't get the invitation when you reach 50 ask, it doesn't hurt at all.
Glad you got the all clear OP and a great reminder for all us ladies of a certain age.