theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   A long weekend in the East Midlands countryside (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1178111)

JudyC 7 Aug 20 05:21 PM

A long weekend in the East Midlands countryside

Last Friday I took my Mum (in our bubble) to stay in a lodge in Rutland. My daughter who lives in the midlands joined us as per the one overnight visitor permitted 😀

After a uneventful drive down on Friday, with a quick stop for coffee at what I call the Alton Towers McDonald's, we arrived at Stretton Lakes near the town of Oakham.
Unpacking the cool bag and essentials quickly, and a quick cuppa for Mum we went for a stroll round the lake in front of the cabin. It was lovely and sunny and a perfect spot for a relaxing break

After a BBQ of burgers and chicken kebabs DD and I made use of the hot tub. Since we'd polished off the prosecco that was left in the fridge at the lodge for us we had a G&T in the plastic glasses provided for using in the hot tub. No sooner than we got in when a big black cloud appeared and large spots of rain tried to ruin our G&T 😂 DD took shelter under the cabin overhang while I braved it keeping my hand over my drink. Five minutes later it cleared and it was a nice sunny evening . I think we stayed in until around 11pm before we decided to shower quickly and turn in for the night.

JudyC 7 Aug 20 05:50 PM

The next day was Saturday and we had a leisurely breakfast on the decking before a short walk.

We had a light lunch of quiche and salad and set off to visit Rutland Water. We went to the car park on the north shore and being Saturday it was fairly busy but there was still plenty parking.

My Mum had fancied a boat trip so we found where it departed from. Face coverings were required on board but we all had one with us. It was a nice sail around with some interesting commentary . Rutland Water is a man made reservoir, it's very popular for water sports and fishing.

When the boat returned Mum sat on a bench while DD and I went for a walk. It was busy but still plenty room for walking while social distancing.

We each got an ice cream before driving back to the cabin with a detour to Aldi for some parmesan cheese as we had spag bol pre prepared for dinner . We did try to find the Co Op first but the sat nav took us to a housing estate cul de sac!
We got back and sat indoors at the table for dinner, accompanied by a nice merlot wine. Afterwards DD and I did some more hot tubbing while Mum watched tv

JudyC 7 Aug 20 06:24 PM

Sunday was another lazy morning day. I made a brunch of bacon, eggs; beans with lots of tea 😀 First I set off to find a Sunday paper for Mum, and ended up at a village shop five minutes drive away. I didn't have any change on me and card payments were for over £5, but the shop owner kindly said i could drop the money off the next day.

After our brunch DD and I went in the hot tub again! After getting showered and changed we set off to the same village I had visited earlier in the day as we had booked for lunch at a pub called the Wheatsheaf.

We sat outside in the pub garden as there were no tables free inside. Fortunately the weather was kind to us again and although it occasionally clouded over it was warm. Mum and DD had the Sunday lunch with beef and I had a cheese soufle with new potatoes and vegetables. It was all very nice and we really enjoyed it. Mum had a sticky toffee pudding but DD and I felt full. However as I really love creme brulee I asked if we could have ours to take out. We were told that was fine and could we just leave the dishes on the pub step in the morning 😀
When we returned you can probably guess what we did, yes the hot tub again, well it was our last chance 😁
We also ate our creme brulees. I had one of my favourite Push Pineapple beers I get from Aldi. They also do one called Shake the Tree but I'm not as keen on that one 😁
We decided on an evening walk

Mum walked part way then headed back and DD and I walked further before going back to keep Mum company watching a bit of tv after around 8:30. I sorted out the kitchen and fridge a bit in readiness for leaving tomorrow. None of us were really hungry, I think we just had a snack. I put a few things in the car and we had our last sleep at the cabin.

JudyC 7 Aug 20 06:25 PM

Monday morning was a frenzy of activity getting the car packed up and I did a good tidy up of the cabin, got rid of the bin bag and the recycling.
We decided to visit the south part of Rutland Water and drove to the village of Normanton. On the way i called at the vilage shop and the pub, dropping off the Sunday paper money and the dishes 😁
I missed the car park turning at Normanton but it was a good opportunity to pop into a local shop and buy a couple of sandwiches for lunch.
We parked up in the proper car park and walked in the direction of the church on the shore of the reservoir that we'd seen on Saturday. The boat we had been on Saturday was at the jetty
Mum wanted me to stand down the bank then she wouldn't appear so small. DD caught me pretending to be short 🤣

We had a walk round the lovely old church and peered through the windows. It can be used for a wedding venue and it's a lovely setting I think.

An interesting story is that when the reservoir was built the church was going to be demolished. The locals objected and it was agreed that only the lower half would be flooded. Another floor was built into the church, which we could see looking through the windows. That's why it looks so short.
After eating our lunch at a picnic bench it was time to head back home. We said good bye to DD who was in her own car, and she set off to drive the hour to Lutterworth where she lives. Mum and I set back and I drove all the way without a stop as we preferred to keep going. Mum picked up some milk from the shop and I dropped her home. I was back at our house 4 1/2 hours after leaving Rutland Water.

We had a lovely stay and it was the ideal place to stay during these Covid times. Plus we were very lucky with the weather 😁

Col&Ali 7 Aug 20 07:55 PM

Just lovely 😊 What a lovely treat for you, your mum and daughter ❤️ We used to live near Rutland Water and this brings back lovely memories.

I’m looking for a lodge break for October ... do you mind sharing who you booked through?

JudyC 7 Aug 20 08:11 PM

I booked direct with Stretton Lakes. We originally booked it for June but then deferred it to last weekend. It was £660 for a Fri to Mon break and it's the same for Mon to Fri. That's for a two bedroom lodge but I think they can sleep up to 6

maidmarian 7 Aug 20 08:55 PM

Looks like you had a fab time Judy 😍

mitch84 16 Aug 20 09:08 PM

Oh lovely x