theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   It's all about the mouse - 15th August 2018 day 15 The Kitchen Sink and last night in MK (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1118541)

Goldia 3 Mar 19 12:25 PM

It's all about the mouse - 15th August 2018 day 15 The Kitchen Sink and last night in MK

Welcome to the It’s all about the mouse trip report. We are a family of four and this is our 4th trip to Orlando. I'm Abby, my DH is Dave and our children are Max (13) and Kate (11). This trip is all WDW and we stay inside the Disney bubble for the entirety of our holiday.

If you haven't read the previous day it can be found here

Our last full day and we had a lazy start as we all needed a bit of a lie in. Dave went off to get us coffee from the food court.

I have officially fallen in love with POR. I took way too many photos of the resort this morning.

Hidden Mickey on the railing.

The river, look at the sky :)

This is the mansion block we were staying in.

More photos on the walk over to the food court area.

The water mill.

Back in the room I managed to convince the kids they should get up and we made our way over to the pool.

Of course, on the way I managed to get more photos. The boat that goes to Disney Springs.

We then spent the morning swimming in the main pool.

As a late breakfast/mid morning snack we each had a Mickey krispy head.

I had a white chocolate one with M&Ms.

Dave said half would have been enough! I think I have gone too far with the sharing of snacks and now they can't enjoy a whole one.

Kids posing with their krispy treats.

In the middle of the day we took a break from the sun and we went back to the room to eat the QS meals we had bought yesterday.

Our room.

Kate, Dave and myself had sushi.

Then me and Dave both shared the chicken salad. This was really tasty and we enjoyed the salad. All the food had kept well in the fridge.

Max had the pepperoni flatbread.

After lunch we checked out the small pool.

The kids had made up a synchronized swimming routine and I filmed this for them.

It was a fun afternoon by the pool. I may have had a bit of a doze! Dave read a bit.

After a pretty lazy day, we headed back to the room to shower. I really love the room, another photo!

We went to Epcot at about 4.30pm as we had a dinner reservation at Beaches and Cream.

On the way to the bus stop I decided more photos were needed of the resort!

We walked through World Showcase and out the back to the Yacht & Beach Club.

This was actually the 15th day of our 14 day tickets, we had a day off from parks on the Cali Grill Brunch day which was the day after our 4 parks 1 day challenge. I had read about this and knew that you could get 14 days of entry across 15 days but it didn’t stop me worrying that perhaps we wouldn’t be allowed in or that for some reason they had changed the rules and I didn’t know about it! Anyway, panic over it was all fine.

It looked like it was going to rain and so we were doing a bit of a fast walk. We stopped off at the Martha’s Vineyard lounge, not because of rain, because we were early and we always have time for a cocktail.

Dave ordered a Negroni. I had a Walk the Plank drink.

He really enjoyed his drink as it wasn't as sweet as most of the Disney cocktails. I have to say I really liked mine too.

I forced the kids to both have water, which neither of them were best pleased about.

Near the end of my drink I realised there was a big chip down the side of the glass and so I pointed it out to the barman. He said it was no problem and poured the rest of my drink into a fresh glass and then threw the original glass away. I had sort of expected him to make me fresh drink. Perhaps, this was a bit too much of me to expect, but still there was no apology from him for giving me a chipped glass.

Pretty standard prices on the cocktails, $25 for two.

While having our drinks we decided to check out what ADRs there were in Disney Springs for lunch the following day. There were loads of options including Homecomin, which I was very tempted by, but in the end I went for House of Blues as I’ve seen the DFB videos where they say that the bourbon bread pudding is the best dessert at WDW so I really want to try this out. Plus when I looked at the prices on the menu it looked reasonable for OOP.

We moved onto Beaches and Cream. After checking in we sat at one of the little tables outside and again barely waited, as it was just a couple of minutes before being called into the restaurant.

Kate and Max both had cokes.

Dave had a Yuengling beer, I had a pineapple cider. This cider was lovely and refreshing.

Kate ordered the tomato bisque and grilled cheese as she loves tomato soup. One or the other I think would have filled her.

Max ordered the cheese and bacon fries, they were easily enough for him.

I had chilli cheese fries, this was a huge portion and I should have stopped eating them to save room for dessert.

Dave had the Reuben sandwich with fries on the side.

We were brought a pudding menu but we didn’t need it as we knew what we’re ordering. The Kitchen Sink! I asked for the peanut butter sauce to be on the side as the kids don’t like peanut butter. The server brought over the little plastic bowls and we had 3 yellow bowls and 1 blue bowl, which Kate called as her bowl, you know like ‘shot gun’ for the front seat of the car. This resulted in a battle as Max said it wasn’t fair as he was drinking at the time and so couldn't call shot gun on the bowl. As expected he had a strop on about it, which was way louder than this little restaurant could cope with. I was mightily embarrassed and did some hissing and talking to him through my teeth, telling him to shut up and suck it up as it’s only a bowl.

No surprises, the server overheard this sibling rivalry and tried to stop world war 3 breaking out over a blue bowl and he brought over a big stack of blue bowls. We had loads of blue bowls.

They played the usual fanfare when the Kitchen Sink was brought over.

It was brilliant. We couldn’t quite believe the size of it, it was quite daunting.

Kate managed 1 bowl and then a piece of sponge…lame! I had 3 bowls. Dave persevered and had 4 bowlfuls.

Max estimated that he had 7 bowlfuls and then ended up eating out of the sink as we’d all given up.

By this time of course the ice cream had all melted and it was very runny.

Kate wasn’t impressed as she thought it looked disgusting.

It was really good fun to do, but we need more than 4 people! I think we probably had about 1/3 left in the bowl, Max had more than the rest of us all put together.

The bill came to $102. It was really good value for dinner for 4 with puddings and 2 alcoholic drinks and I would happily pay it again.

Max said it was his favourite restaurant! He is desperate to go back. I'm not so sure this is a great use of credits on the dining plan though, mine and Max's 'meals' were snack value really at $7. Anyway, those are worries to be put aside for another time...

We were off to MK for our final evening and caught the bus from the front of the resort. It stopped at Beach Club to pick up people and Dave said “Are we there already?” I explained that this was the sister resort.

At MK they had put up lots of Halloween decorations which was lovely to see and so obviously I had to take lots of photos.

We had a FP for each of the mountains. First up was Space and we all tried to pull funny faces.

I wanted to go on the Peoplemover, the kids moaned a bit, but went along with the idea.

I just wanted to soak up being in the park for the last time.

Next up was Splash.

We all got wet butts after the ride, it was as fun as ever.

We went on POTC after Splash, it said it was a 10 minute wait but it was hardly a minute before we were on the ride.

The kids and Dave were desperate for some water and we stopped at the fountain near the bottom of Splash.

Lastly, BTMR, I rode with Max and Kate was with Dave. It was an EEH night at MK but we’d had enough (well, I couldn’t persuade anyone to stay on and do more rides :() so we headed back to the resort.

There was a bus waiting for us as the bus stop which was perfect timing.

More photos of the resort, this time at night!

There was a tiny little frog on the wall outside our room, of course I took a photo of him!

And that was it for our last full day. It was a bit quieter than some of our days, but I think we all needed a bit of rest after the exhausting couple of weeks we had. The evening in MK was great, but we did have a couple of spats, of course due to tiredness.

It was still a lovely goodbye, while this was sad, it was made much easier by knowing we would be back next year.

Statistics for the day:

Parks: 2
Rides: 5
FP: 3
Characters: 0
Steps: 22,028

Tomorrow is check out day, but as the flight wasn't until 9pm we still managed a lots of fun at the resort, a trip on the river boat to Disney Springs and lunch at House of Blues before we had to make our way to the airport.

Inky 3 Mar 19 12:40 PM

POR is gorgeous isn’t it, you had a fab day by the look of it

caitlinsmummy 3 Mar 19 01:35 PM

What a fab first day, not rushing around and taking things easy :) I love it.

Still gutted you can't go to B&C in August :( POR is beautiful isn't it, such a lovely resort, brought back memories looking at your photos.

I can't believe your reports almost finished :cry: but looking forward to the final day, we fit in quite a bit on our final day and I imagine you will to :) xx

MrsSilverStar 3 Mar 19 02:06 PM

Lovely photos! POR does look like a great resort.

I felt your pain at not persuading the others to stay out late but I bet you’re all exhausted after a very full-on two weeks!

Goldia 3 Mar 19 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inky (Post 13715845)
POR is gorgeous isn’t it, you had a fab day by the look of it

I really did love POR such a beautiful resort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy (Post 13715939)
What a fab first day, not rushing around and taking things easy :) I love it.

Still gutted you can't go to B&C in August :( POR is beautiful isn't it, such a lovely resort, brought back memories looking at your photos.

I can't believe your reports almost finished :cry: but looking forward to the final day, we fit in quite a bit on our final day and I imagine you will to :) xx

One of the reasons I love reading trip reports is that it brings back memories for me, so I'm glad you had the same feeling. I loved the river through the resort we had to cross it to get our room.

I'm sad it's just one more day. It's really odd actually to think that this trip will be over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar (Post 13715994)
Lovely photos! POR does look like a great resort.

I felt your pain at not persuading the others to stay out late but I bet you’re all exhausted after a very full-on two weeks!

I know I was sad they didn't want to stay out late, but early mornings and late nights don't mix!

Cinderella 3 Mar 19 08:18 PM

Great report 👍

Palm trees 3 Mar 19 09:04 PM

That sounds like a lovely last full day. I'm so tempted by the kitchen sink but I'm greedy and scared I'd keep going till I felt poorly!

walt4it 3 Mar 19 10:33 PM

After everything on this trip all credit to Max for rising to the challenge of The Kitchen Sink, worth his flight cost alone:cool2:
I can't believe you ate food prior to facing the Kitchen Sink:erm:, as much as I love ice cream thins is one challenge that has always escaped us, the snack credit option always seems to win on the dining plan and even OOP.

As always great photos, even with wet backsides after Splash Mountain.
The whole of today has that air of wonderment and whilst enjoying your final evening, there is quite possibly no feeling on earth like it, magical yet with such a heavy heart at the same time, even knowing you are going back does not quite help.

Great that POR brought such a memorable ending to the trip for you all:cool2::thumbs-up:spin:

Toff Princess 3 Mar 19 11:35 PM

Great report.. I must search for more of your past days as I am late to the party. AGAIN!

I can't believe you guys tackled the kitchen sink! Hats off to you! I have to try sometime!
Your POR rooms is one of those beautiful themed ones! Id love to try it out one time when my son is older and out of a stroller.. I love the POR & POFQ themeing!

Goldia 4 Mar 19 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinderella (Post 13716580)
Great report 👍

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palm trees (Post 13716655)
That sounds like a lovely last full day. I'm so tempted by the kitchen sink but I'm greedy and scared I'd keep going till I felt poorly!

I think I did that for a few of the buffet meals. Self restraint and buffets do not go well together!

Quote:

Originally Posted by walt4it (Post 13716806)
After everything on this trip all credit to Max for rising to the challenge of The Kitchen Sink, worth his flight cost alone:cool2:
I can't believe you ate food prior to facing the Kitchen Sink:erm:, as much as I love ice cream thins is one challenge that has always escaped us, the snack credit option always seems to win on the dining plan and even OOP.

As always great photos, even with wet backsides after Splash Mountain.
The whole of today has that air of wonderment and whilst enjoying your final evening, there is quite possibly no feeling on earth like it, magical yet with such a heavy heart at the same time, even knowing you are going back does not quite help.

Great that POR brought such a memorable ending to the trip for you all:cool2::thumbs-up:spin:

Max was the last man standing with the kitchen sink. He is very keen to try it out this summer with the help of his grandad as he feels they would stand a good chance of actually finishing it.

You are right I think the heavy feeling wasn't just down to all the ice cream we had eaten :(.

We hadn't expected all the Halloween stuff to be up in MK and it was exciting to see it. But, that sort of compounded the feeling that we didn't really belong anymore, it really felt like Disney were telling us to go home. It was a very visual reminder that our time was up as the season was clearly changing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toff Princess (Post 13716896)
Great report.. I must search for more of your past days as I am late to the party. AGAIN!

I can't believe you guys tackled the kitchen sink! Hats off to you! I have to try sometime!
Your POR rooms is one of those beautiful themed ones! Id love to try it out one time when my son is older and out of a stroller.. I love the POR & POFQ themeing!

Make sure you have a big group if you attempt the sink it's huge! POR was lovely for a couple of nights, a pain to have to pack up and sort out cases, but the resort really was a beauty. I'm excited about going to POFQ this summer.