theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   new orleans advice please (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1134420)

sunny1 25 Jun 19 01:44 PM

new orleans advice please

we are looking at a short trip to new orleans whilst we are out in florida next january

we are trying to figure out if 4 nights is enough time to see the sights OR would we get away with 3 nights ?

has anyone been that can give advice, we are a group of 3 adults

Pino_Spetzberg 25 Jun 19 03:21 PM

Three days could be enough depending on where you want to go.
I would pick four days because it's one of our favourite places.
If you are not particularly into music and food (and drinks), probably you'll cover the rest in three days.

tiggertastic 25 Jun 19 03:51 PM

New Orleans if probably my favorite place in the States. the longer the better in My opinion! We have been twice for 5 days and 10 days and still not see it all (granted the 10 day trip was mardi gras)

Soo much to do and see there. In January make sure you check for any Mardi Gras parades as carnival begins on the 6th January! Do leave the French Quarter there is so much more to New Orleans. WW2 Museum, the Mississippi, Cafe du Monde (the one on the Mississippi not the one in the shopping centre! Back street Cultural Museum, Garden District etc.

ClaireNJ 25 Jun 19 07:31 PM

Hi we went to New Orleans halfway through our stay in Orlando, flew with Southwest for 4 nights, this was plenty as we had 3 whole days then, we did a tour every day.
Stayed at Chateau leMoyne Holiday Inn, great location, loved the French Quarter, there are drunks & homeless though. Streetcars are fab in the Garden District.
We did the Mississippi Steam Boat, the Ghost Tour & Swamp Tour, all great & all booked in the uk before we went.
Ruby Slipper is fab for breakfast & Spotted Cat is great for Jazz, get there early ;)
Very very humid in September walking around the city, Hubbie was moaning, on the Steam Boat thought they’d be a breeze, but no! 😳 so calm & so so hot 🤣🤣🤣

WileyCoyote 25 Jun 19 08:51 PM

Depends on your flight times really. The times to and from Florida can be a bit rubbish depending on who you go with.

We’ve been twice and back again this October for a 3 night stay.
I have details in my trippies - Rock n roll to creole 5 state road trip sept 2017 and Keep Calm and have a cocktail March 2018. September was hot. Very hot. March was freezing. Link is in my signature.
We love it there. Really depends on what sights you mean. There are lots of tours on offer or plenty to see on your own. A very walkable city.

KarenG 25 Jun 19 09:41 PM

Following, because we have just booked a fortnight in February (not Mardi Gras). It’s a budget trip really, not In the holiday budget. But we found the sort of flights that are so cheap it would be rude not to go.

We may do a cruise for five nights because it makes the spending much less, but very happy to have a solid week in NOLA afterwards. There are SO MANY restaurants we want to visit!

Amanda has done some brilliant trip reports :thumbs-up

sunny1 25 Jun 19 10:25 PM

Thanks so much for your replies
We are happy to go off exploring on our own and we are also happy to join guided tour
The only planning we have done so far is to book the hotel which is in the central business district
I will read your trip reports Amanda but I might be back with a few questions 😁

sunny1 25 Jun 19 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenG (Post 13921739)
Following, because we have just booked a fortnight in February (not Mardi Gras). It’s a budget trip really, not In the holiday budget. But we found the sort of flights that are so cheap it would be rude not to go.

We may do a cruise for five nights because it makes the spending much less, but very happy to have a solid week in NOLA afterwards. There are SO MANY restaurants we want to visit!

Amanda has done some brilliant trip reports :thumbs-up

Karen can you tell me where you looked for flights please and also any restaurants that I should research
Thank you 😊

theCMG 25 Jun 19 10:28 PM

I would go the extra night and do 4, especially if you're going to have a late night or two and need to take a day easy. And I will always say Frenchman Street > Bourbon Street unless you're in hen/stag/mardi gras mode

Oh and restaurant-wise, GW Fins :inlove:

MinniMouse 26 Jun 19 12:09 AM

DD went to New Orleans 3 years ago or so. You can claim the tax back on goods ie clothing. Not sure how you go about this. I think you maybe just have to show your UK passport and it’s deducted at point of sale. Perhaps someone else on here can advise.