theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Change at Atlanta (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1180724)

MENTALMUM 25 Sep 20 10:42 AM

Change at Atlanta

Is 1hr 50 minutes enough time to change at Atlanta, looking at this rather than direct as price is considerably different. Flying Manchester to MCO in the summer holidays.

kiwiinabd 25 Sep 20 10:51 AM

It's a bit on the short side if there are any delays.

I would be looking for 3 hours

tspill 25 Sep 20 11:34 AM

It would be too short for me.

If your incoming flight is on time and immigration lines not too bad, you will be fine. It depends on how much contingency you want to build in.
I would rarely book a connection under 4 hours as it is simply too stressful and a real pain if you miss it. To me it is worth building in another couple go hours.

KarenG 25 Sep 20 11:47 AM

I would take that connection for some US airports but I tend to find Atlanta takes longer than usual and would be concerned about the time.

That said, the connection is likely to change again before you actually fly (as airlines continue to reroute and reschedule in these unusual times) so I’d be inclined to book it anyway.

katnav 25 Sep 20 11:55 AM

I connected in Atlanta last year. Although 1hour 50 would have been enough time, we were very lucky with a non existent immigration queue and any easy transfer through the airport to a different concourse. We had 2.5 hours and made it with plenty of time but did a lot of reading about connecting in Atlanta in preparation for our indirect flight last year and lots of people had had terrible queues in immigration and been there for 2 hours queueing. Luck of the draw. If you aren't bothered about potentially missing your connecting flight and having to wait for a later flight or worse case flight the next day then go for the cost saving.

Reunion 25 Sep 20 12:37 PM

Atlanta is HUGE... I am infamous for cutting it fine and I transit there often but I would say that is too tight.

Princess104 25 Sep 20 01:40 PM

It's plenty of time, we did it with 45 minutes and that was with 2 children age 4 and 7 and grandparents due to flight been changed from MCO to Atlanta. Crew on MCO flight were brilliant found out what gate we needed and it was straight off the plane on the train to the right terminal and straight onto plane. No need to collect bags or go through immigration, it does sound like that may have changed now but we didn't and if we had flown this year flight was altered and thing we was down to an hour.

Helen J 25 Sep 20 01:54 PM

We changed there once, years ago to get to Myrtle Beach, we had 3 hours and we ended up having to run to the second gate, we just made it. You may be fine but it would be too stressful for me.

Grandee 25 Sep 20 01:57 PM

Queued here for 3 hours in the immigration line 2 years ago, So, no, don't think you allowing sufficient time, mentalmum.

Posiesmum 25 Sep 20 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess104 (Post 14659132)
It's plenty of time, we did it with 45 minutes and that was with 2 children age 4 and 7 and grandparents due to flight been changed from MCO to Atlanta. Crew on MCO flight were brilliant found out what gate we needed and it was straight off the plane on the train to the right terminal and straight onto plane. No need to collect bags or go through immigration, it does sound like that may have changed now but we didn't and if we had flown this year flight was altered and thing we was down to an hour.

Sounds like this was the return leg - in that case no bags or immigration and 45 minutes - 1 hour may be fine.
But on the way out you will need to collect and recheck bags, and go through immigration. I’d be looking at 2-3 hours layover at Atlanta, it’s a big airport.