theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip - Day 0, Pre-Travel Day - from Leicestershire to Manchester (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=919914)

Lisa29 20 Nov 15 10:00 AM

The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip - Day 0, Pre-Travel Day - from Leicestershire to Manchester

Saturday 10 October 2015

It was finally here! Travel up to the airport day had arrived! :pgig: Work was finished with for 3 weeks, or 4 in Phil's case, lucky thing, and everything was just about packed.

As usual and as expected, I had a lousy night's sleep and was wide awake at 5.15am. I finally decided to get up at 5.45 and did the ironing from the previous days washing (leaving none to come home to), whilst watching Masterchef Australia. I did some tidying before Phil got up at 6.30. He went to put the car through the car wash, check the oil, etc. Madison was up by 6.45 and she read her school book to me so that all of her homework was done. :) Kaley was up just after 7.

We finished tidying, had breakfast and got dressed, before finishing the last minute packing of hairbrushes, chargers, etc. The girls shared the colouring of the last day on the countdown chart

The last couple of cases were put in the car (the rest had gone to Mum and Dad's the day before), we locked up and were soon on our way to dancing. While the girls did two of their classes each, Phil had gone to take the rubbish and recycling to the tip then we went and got some water for the car journey, a photography magazine for Phil and a sandwich from Gregg's for my Dad.

We went back to dancing, got the girls changed, said bye to everyone then sat in the car to do OLCI as it was now 11am. It took a few minutes of refreshing the screen before it actually allowed me to do it but it was soon done and we had our Dibbers Row seats in the bubble. :grin:

From there we nipped to Subway to get lunch (no pics, sorry) and took it to Mum and Dad's to eat. I did OLCI for Mum and Dad and confirmed their two exit row seats in the bubble. Some case rearranging was done, though I don't recall why :blush:

Phil loaded the car and we were on our way, a little later than I had wanted, at 12.15. We stopped at a Sainsbury's for petrol near to where we join the M1 and were properly on our way by 12.35.

Happily occupied with their Kindles

Designated driver

The journey went really well, we had been worried about the M6 but the traffic was fine all the way to Manchester. The girls were really good and I think we only had one 'are we nearly there yet' from them. Very soon we started seeing these

So all got a bit excited. :D We saw quite a few coming in, checking the flight radar app to see what planes they were and where they were coming from.

We were driving into the Marriott at 2.30pm. Unfortunately, as we were early and check in wasn't until 4pm, our room wasn't ready. We had kind of expected it wouldn't be, and knew it definitely wouldn't when we pulled in and saw a full car park and a very big Wedding party spilling out of the lobby onto the front.

We decided to go to the Airport Pub, taking rather too many wrong turns on the way, oops! :blush: We finally got there to find a line of cars waiting to pull into the car park, the gates of which had been closed, with a security guard advising people the car park was full and there was an hour and a half wait for a table. This was all because a Vulcan Bomber was scheduled to be doing a flyover at 3pm. We were on double yellows so couldn't wait, so decided to try and find somewhere else to watch planes/see the Vulcan Bomber.

We found another car park a few minutes away and pulled up at the barrier, pressed the button to get in and promptly just sat there as there was something wrong with the machine! An engineer-type guy came over and told us to press the call button, Phil did, spoke to someone and explained the problem and he said he would make a call. The same engineer-type guy who told us to press the call button then received a call on his mobile from the person Phil was speaking to! :omg: :confused2 Why we had to go through that process when he could have looked there and then, I have no idea. :nonono: At least 10 minutes had passed at this point, someone had parked on the road behind us, blocking us in, so we were stuck and of course it was now around 3pm and the Vulcan Bomber went over. :nonono: Phil was gutted. We hadn't realised it was so close so hadn't got the cameras out. Phil saw the person who had blocked us in and asked him to move his car. He did and we moved to the car park across the way and parked there. (At this point, the engineer still hadn't been over.)

We stayed here for a bit watching the planes taking off

Before deciding to head back to the Marriott. We then got stuck in a queue of about 7 cars because the barrier wouldn't open! :angry: This took a good 5-10 minutes (the same engineer working on the pay machine in the car park that the barrier wouldn't open for :confused2) before finally it started working.

Quite a disappointing experience, we had really been looking forward to going to the Airport Pub and seeing some planes, never mind, maybe next time we will have better luck.

We got to the Marriott about 3.50 and went in. Everyone else was there by now and all trying to check in. This is where a small run of bad luck started for Mum and Dad, their room still wasn't ready and ended up not being ready until gone 4.30pm, not good enough really when check in is 4pm. :(

Anyway, we were given our room number, 0-704, and got lost trying to find it! I'm sure at one point we ended up back near the lobby area. Looking on the wrong floor didn't help us either! :blush:

Finally we found it, and it was a nice big room

Continued in next post.

Lisa29 20 Nov 15 10:08 AM

Continued from previous post.

We went back to the car to get the cases, saw the others so found out where they all were, dropped our cases off then went back to the cars to help Ryan and Dave with theirs and Mum and Dad's cases. We chilled in the room for maybe 20 minutes before meeting up with everyone at 5pm.

We all drove to the Romper which was very busy with lots of people outside. They were all wearing very similar tops so I guess they were part of a group. Thankfully we had all booked tables so were seated straight away.

The main menu

Children's menu

We ordered our usual drinks of diet coke/diet pepsi, I don't recall which was on offer here, then placed our food orders. To start, Madison and Kaley each had the Breaded Chicken - served with a dressed salad garnish and ketchup (£1.25 each)

I had the Medley of Chicken - a slow-cooked chicken drumstick coated in a sticky barbecue sauce, a mini chicken, pork and smoked bacon Kiev with a secret pesto centre and a chicken, vegetable and sweet chilli crispy roll, sprinkled with chives (£5.49)

Phil had the Farmhouse Pate - a smooth pork and chicken liver pate with a hint of cider and mustard. Served with toasted bloomer and a pot of our delicious ale chutney.

These were all really good. Madison and Kaley ate all of theirs, I loved the chicken drumstick but found the crispy roll a little spicy for me.

For mains, Madison and Kaley each had the Cheeseburger - steak burger topped with cheddar cheese. Served in a seedless bun. (£4.25 each) They each had chips and salad with theirs.

I had the Slow Cooked Lamb Shoulder - tenderly cooked to perfection our lamb shoulder is full of fantastic flavour. Served with smooth mashed potato, roasted red onion and carrots, buttered broccoli and a rich red wine sauce. (£14.49)

Phil had the Pan-Fried Duck with Cherry Sauce - our duck breast is served pink with a glorious sour morello cherry and red wine sauce. Served with savoy cabbage, kale and bacon and golden dauphinoise potatoes. (£13.99)

We also had a side of Crispy Onion Rings (£2.49)

The food was all really good. The girls didn't eat an awful lot of theirs. I tried to make a dent in mine but it was so big, with so much lamb, and I knew I wanted a pudding, so had to leave some of it.

Dessert menu

For dessert, Madison and Kaley had the same as each other again, the Strawberry Sundae - strawberry and vanilla ice cream with whipped double cream, strawberries, strawberry flavoured sauce and miniature shortbread fingers. (£1.75 each)

I had the Crème Brulee - a creamy vanilla brulee with a glazed sugar top, finished with shortbread fingers. (£4.99)

Phil had the Ice Cream and Sorbet Selection - choose three scoops from today's range of delicious flavours. (£3.59) He had chocolate, vanilla and mint choc chip.

These were all really good. I was a bit too full to properly enjoy mine. Phil and Madison ate all of theirs and Phil helped Kaley finish hers. ;)

The total bill was £72.61. We had £60 worth of Tesco vouchers so used these then left £20 for the balance and the tip as the service had been really good.

We left and got back to the Marriott around 7.15pm. We all had showers then watched a bit of Strictly Come Dancing. We put the girls to bed and put the England rugby game on to watch. They were awake for ages again, as I thought they would be, and it was around 9pm when Kaley fell asleep, with Madison finally going asleep just before 10pm.

Dan had called to check I had done OLCI properly (I hadn't, oops) so did it for me as we had no wifi or network signal in our room and I did some more case rearranging and getting all of our clothes ready for travelling the next day. We watched about an hour of 50 Shocking Reality TV Moments before switching the TV off and trying to sleep.

Next up, Day 1 - Travel Day, from Manchester to Orlando is HERE :grin:

mrsdjh 20 Nov 15 04:10 PM

I love your countdown chart! - I followed your pre trippy and am looking forward to finding out how your holiday went.

Shame about the problems getting into the Airport Pub - how inconvenient of that Vulcan to fly over at that time! Your evening meal looks nice.

Diane

Lisa29 20 Nov 15 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsdjh (Post 11161946)
I love your countdown chart! - I followed your pre trippy and am looking forward to finding out how your holiday went.

Shame about the problems getting into the Airport Pub - how inconvenient of that Vulcan to fly over at that time! Your evening meal looks nice.

Diane

Thanks Diane, we had fun colouring it every day. :)

It was a shame, gives us an excuse to have to go again though! :tongue:

The dinner was really good, a great start to the holiday.:)

sheluk 20 Nov 15 08:30 PM

Ahhh I'm sorry your trip is over but so glad you've started your trippie :)

Food sounded great at the romper - shame about the airport pub though, was there a couple of weeks ago (on a wet Thursday afternoon and it was dead! But clearly not plane watching weather). Would recommend it for next time.

The Marriott looks lovely.

The girls always seem so well behaved and love those pics of them in the field :)

Milner 20 Nov 15 08:32 PM

Great start look forward to the next instalment.

Lisa29 20 Nov 15 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheluk (Post 11162328)
Ahhh I'm sorry your trip is over but so glad you've started your trippie :)

Food sounded great at the romper - shame about the airport pub though, was there a couple of weeks ago (on a wet Thursday afternoon and it was dead! But clearly not plane watching weather). Would recommend it for next time.

The Marriott looks lovely.

The girls always seem so well behaved and love those pics of them in the field :)

Thanks. :)

It was a shame, but we were going on holiday so I shouldn't complain really. :cool2:

The room was really good at the Marriott, it was just a really odd layout.

They have their moments being good along with their moments of being little madams! I really like those photos too, they look so happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milner (Post 11162332)
Great start look forward to the next instalment.

Thanks! :)

littlejem1 21 Nov 15 12:31 AM

Great start waiting now for the next instalment. :wave::wave:

nickyjw 21 Nov 15 12:44 AM

So glad you have started the trip report. Really looking forward to following along. Great pre travel day x

Guest 21 Nov 15 09:20 AM

So happy to see this up so quickly since your home ...ekkkkk will be eagerly awaiting the new days popping up