theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Halloween covid etiquette (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1207215)

Emmie2016 31 Oct 21 11:33 AM

Halloween covid etiquette

How is everyone handling trick or treaters? Are you giving out sweets or leaving them on your doorstep for people to take?

Thanks 🙂

Floridatilly 31 Oct 21 11:39 AM

We are being really miserable like last year. We are sitting in the living room which is at the back of the house and turning all the lights out at the front of the house. I am going to pick up some party bags or little paper bags and fill with treats for the kids on the street as they will be playing out this afternoon as usual but we won’t be opening the door this evening nor will Mason be knocking on anyones doors.

parkgirl 31 Oct 21 11:50 AM

We made up cones of sweets a few weeks ago - gloves on and but in their bags

levtweeney 31 Oct 21 11:56 AM

Most of our area has agreed that those with decorations outside the house will participate in Halloween 🎃 and those with nothing won’t be knocked on. Probably won’t work fully but should help. We’re also being miserable and not doing it this year.

DisneyStacey 31 Oct 21 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levtweeney (Post 15195178)
Most of our area has agreed that those with decorations outside the house will participate in Halloween 🎃 and those with nothing won’t be knocked on. Probably won’t work fully but should help. We’re also being miserable and not doing it this year.

I thought this was just generally trick or treating etiquette anyway?
I was always told to only knock on the doors where there were decorations/ a pumpkin/ a sign saying “trick or treaters welcome” etc. If there was nothing “halloweeny” then to leave that house alone. I’ve always told my daughter the same thing.

I’ll be out this evening so won’t be doing anything. DD is going trick or treating with some friends.

Inky 31 Oct 21 12:05 PM

I have treat bags , made up a couple of days ago.

Island mamma 31 Oct 21 12:23 PM

Our village does a pumpkin trail. Participating houses have a decorated pumpkin displayed prominently outside. Homeowners either put a treat station outside or allow kids to knock on the door depending on their preference. All kids are accompanied by an adult ( tend to be in groups with one or two adults). General agreement that no adult means no treats. Advantage is that everybody in the village knows each other and generally make it known in advance if participating so the adults know where to steer the kids.

levtweeney 31 Oct 21 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyStacey (Post 15195193)
I thought this was just generally trick or treating etiquette anyway?
I was always told to only knock on the doors where there were decorations/ a pumpkin/ a sign saying “trick or treaters welcome” etc. If there was nothing “halloweeny” then to leave that house alone. I’ve always told my daughter the same thing.

I’ll be out this evening so won’t be doing anything. DD is going trick or treating with some friends.

Yes I think it is normal Halloween behaviour but I think it has been reinforced through social media for our local area to keep people Covid safe :thumbs-up

vanlou 31 Oct 21 12:36 PM

I’m just going to leave them outside this year in a bowl.

This was our socially distanced pumpkin from last year :D

sam7 31 Oct 21 01:10 PM

Cases in our area are amoung the highest in the country, and they are especially high in children/teens, so sadly I won't be opening my door either