theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   4 go La La in La La Land - Our West Coast Adventure (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1060445)

Pumba75 7 Jan 18 09:09 PM

4 go La La in La La Land - Our West Coast Adventure

Hello :wavey:

Well this is a new section of the dibb we haven't dabbled with before! No Florida. No idea about food. Totally out of our comfort zone, but excited to explore a totally new area with a touch of Disney.

So we are the Pumba's.
This was taken a few years ago now but rather apt for our username.

A little about us.
I'm Melissa/Mrs P and I share my husbands account. I've completed 3 food/dining reports which has allowed me to indulge in my guilty pleasure of taking food photos but when it comes to writing, I write, worry, delete then rewrite! Graeme fancies giving a trip report a go, so this is going to be a joint collaboration. For the main report he will write and I will take the photos.

Graeme/Mr P is 42. He's a big kid and loves planning, researching and booking holidays. Especially to Florida! He happily does all the driving.

E. Eldest daughter. 14 years old. Loves all things Disney (especially Stitch), Harry Potter and Superhero related. Normally found with her head in a book.

M. Youngest daughter. 11 years old. Our adrenaline junkie and roller coaster lover. She's looking forward to trying Mickey shaped beignets. Normally found outside playing netball.

The reason for this trip?

It's my 40th birthday (*gulp). Having a birthday in August I've been fortunate to celebrate my birthday in Florida on three occasions. This time we fancied doing something a little different.

Our plans so far

After spending many months monitoring flights, we've finally pressed the button and booked a BA fly drive from London Heathrow direct to LA on the 1st August and returning on the 17th.

Graeme is very excited that we will be flying on an A380. This doesn't mean anything to me, but last year this was the 3 of them taking photos of this particular plane! With the other plane nerds. No joke. :d:

The 4 of us have been fortunate to go to Florida numerous times but we have now ventured into a totally different land of planning! So far...

Premier Inn at Heathrow booked for the night before. Direct flight to Los Angeles.

2 nights - LA
(The Tangerine)
* Warner Brothers Studio Tour
* Griffith Observatory
* Hollywood Sign
* Walt's Carousel
* Downtown LA

2 nights - Joshua Tree National Park
(Fairfield Inn & Suites)
* Explore national park
* Palm Springs Aerial Tramway

5 nights - San Diego
(Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina)
* Old Town & La Jolla on trolley bus
* Bilboa Park
* Coronado Island
* Laguna beach
* USS Midway

7 nights - Anaheim
(Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn - changed to Hotel Indigo)
* Disney. 4 day pass. My birthday! :mickey2:
* Knotts Berry Farm
* Shopping Outlets/Packing District market
* LAFC soccer/football match
* Long Beach

Santa Monica Pier on route back to airport.

All hotels booked/reserved via booking.com. We can cancel for free up until July and pay at check in.

So far that's it. Ultra excited about our mini...

Update 1. Disneyland tickets - page 3

Update 2. Tick list ✔️ - page 5

Update 3. Warner Bros studio tour, BA seats & our 1st ADR - page 5

Update 4. Hotel changes, ADR's and final ticket purchases - page 7

Update 5. Packing cubes & note book for trip report! - page 7

M x

:wave:

tocpe321 7 Jan 18 09:33 PM

Sounds really great. Recognise that view of planes landing! We love the Premier Inn. Last year we flew on the 1st August so great minds and all that. We stayed at the same hotels in Joshua Tree and San Diego. Had a really nice time. We also went to Knotts Berry Farm and enjoyed it.

If you like Mexican, and margaritas, San Diego Old Town is really great. We ate at the Cafe Coyote, which is recommended by Aims (Amy). Her sticky thread st the top of the plannning page is excellent and she is very helpful with any questions.

Happy planning!

Pumba75 7 Jan 18 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tocpe321 (Post 13006896)
Sounds really great. Recognise that view of planes landing! We love the Premier Inn. Last year we flew on the 1st August so great minds and all that. We stayed at the same hotels in Joshua Tree and San Diego. Had a really nice time. We also went to Knotts Berry Farm and enjoyed it.

If you like Mexican, and margaritas, San Diego Old Town is really great. We ate at the Cafe Coyote, which is recommended by Aims (Amy). Her sticky thread st the top of the plannning page is excellent and she is very helpful with any questions.

Happy planning!

Thank you. That's great to know and reassuring.

Brilliant. Yes we do so will check it out. :wavey:

AlexE 8 Jan 18 12:18 AM

We stayed at the Best Western Shelter Island in September for the second time and loved it the walks in the evening are wonderful and everyone is so friendly. The hop on hop off trolley is good to get your bearings, we also did a day trip to La Jolla. We loved Joshua Tree and want to return. If you need to escape the desert heat I can recommend the Aerial Tramway at Palm Springs views are amazing.

tocpe321 8 Jan 18 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexE (Post 13007211)
We stayed at the Best Western Shelter Island in September for the second time and loved it the walks in the evening are wonderful and everyone is so friendly. The hop on hop off trolley is good to get your bearings, we also did a day trip to La Jolla. We loved Joshua Tree and want to return. If you need to escape the desert heat I can recommend the Aerial Tramway at Palm Springs views are amazing.

Opposite the hotel is a pier with a little bar that sells beers and hotdogs. Nice for an impromptu chill.

Pumba75 8 Jan 18 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexE (Post 13007211)

Hi. That's really helpful. We have ummed & ahhed a lot over hotels! Really looking forward to exploring these places. Never heard of the Tramway. Will check it out. Thank you.

Pumba75 8 Jan 18 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tocpe321 (Post 13007215)
Opposite the hotel is a pier with a little bar that sells beers and hotdogs. Nice for an impromptu chill.

Sounds great. Ideal. All these nuggets of advice are so helpful as feeling out of our comfort zone!

Melbatb 8 Jan 18 01:25 AM

We have just returned from qw nights in Joshua Tree (same hotel :D) and San Diego (we stayed in Pacific Beach in an airbnb) and loved every minute of it!

I did a live trippy if you interested! You will have a fabulous time!

Pumba75 8 Jan 18 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melbatb (Post 13007264)
We have just returned from qw nights in Joshua Tree (same hotel :D) and San Diego (we stayed in Pacific Beach in an airbnb) and loved every minute of it!

I did a live trippy if you interested! You will have a fabulous time!

Thanks very much. We will check it. Glad you had such a brilliant time. :wavey:

mrsdjh 8 Jan 18 10:15 PM

Hi Melissa :wavey:

How exciting - looking forward to following along on your planning and trip on here and IG.

I really fancy California and a similar itinerary to yours but my girls don't seem too keen on the thought of a longer flight!