theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Pismo beach or Solvang? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1228223)

danisleigh 23 Jun 22 06:30 AM

Pismo beach or Solvang?

Which would be best to stop at after Monterey? We are going to LA from there and want to do the WB studio tour late that afternoon but we are happy to be up and out early. Solvang is cheaper and obviously closer to LA to make that day easier but I don’t want to make the day before unbearable if the drive from Monterey to Solvang is too much?

Buggles94 23 Jun 22 07:43 AM

We stayed at a condo resort - Dolphin Bay in Pismo Beach - on our way from Carmel to Santa Monica a few years ago. Was fabulous as gave us lots of space (and a washing machine:)) which was needed. Was a long drive from Carmel and we were glad to stop there for a couple of nights... I've heard great things re Solvang too...

Floridadot 23 Jun 22 08:28 AM

We stayed overnight at Avila Beach lovely small town. Stayed at the Avila Beach Inn.

Mrs Red C 23 Jun 22 08:32 AM

Solvang for us, historic mission church is anazing, fantastic food and drinks, Danish pastries are divine! Windmills, lovely shops, just a really lovely town!

Peko 23 Jun 22 08:58 AM

Depends what you want to do en-route Monterey-Pismo/Solvang and Pismo/Solvang-LA. The extra distance between Pismo and Solvang is about an hour of inland driving, so not a major deal either way.

If you’re planning to make a few stops on the way down from Monterey, maybe Pismo. If not, or if you plan a few stops the next day,
you could go on to Solvang.

Pismo is a typical Cali beach town, Solvang is a cute historical town (with a slight theme park appearance to my eyes), so it really depends what kind of vibe you prefer.

enjibenji 23 Jun 22 09:27 AM

Solvang is a lovely little town 😊

MissBianca 23 Jun 22 09:59 AM

We did Monterey then Pismo on our west coast road trip. We stayed at the cottage inn at Pismo, it was beautiful. Then on to LA same as you.

danisleigh 23 Jun 22 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissBianca (Post 15506345)
We did Monterey then Pismo on our west coast road trip. We stayed at the cottage inn at Pismo, it was beautiful. Then on to LA same as you.

That’s the hotel we have booked and it does look lovely! Can you remember what time you arrived in LA the next day?

megaflyer 23 Jun 22 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissBianca (Post 15506345)

Good advice - I didn't like Solvang (too twee for our liking) but the coast area and Prismo is stunning California

MissBianca 23 Jun 22 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danisleigh (Post 15506423)
That’s the hotel we have booked and it does look lovely! Can you remember what time you arrived in LA the next day?

It was 6 years ago, I've checked my photos and looks like we stayed at Pismo for a late lunch the following day before travelling to LA but still arrived early evening. So if you left earlier you should still make the tour.