theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   NYC to Chicago - gotta love a road trip! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1223908)

floridafan101 14 May 22 05:59 PM

NYC to Chicago - gotta love a road trip!

So it’s our 3rd time of booking and finally thinking this is it!
Rewind to 2020 we had fab cheap flights with BA from our local airport to Montreal. We had 3 weeks planned touring Canada and onto NYC. Everything was booked and the trip looked amazing. Then Covid put a stop to that. BA stopped flights from our local airport and have never restarted them ☹️. We hadn’t booked direct and had a nightmare getting money back but eventually all money was returned and I started looking for 2021.
This resulted in a different but no less exciting plan. Flying into NYC and out from LA and was going to include flights to Denver and then Yellowstone, SLC, Monument Valley, Las Vegas etc etc blah blah blah.
Guess what our flights home from LA were cancelled this time resulting in money returned. Less hassle and borders were still closed anyway so we were going nowhere.
Third time lucky. Flights to NYC £1,500 for 4 of us in August with luggage Aer Lingus going and BA returning booked directly with BA - I learned my lesson!
So where to go this time? No internal flights and no going into Canada as that just seemed too much potential for problems.
So….
3 nights NYC
1 night DuBois
1 night Cleveland
3 nights Chicago
2 nights St Louis
2 nights Memphis
3 nights Pigeon Forge
5 nights Carolina Beach
1 night Washington area

Yes it’s a hectic schedule but we are looong overdue an epic road trip.

Don’t know if anyone else has down a similar trip but interested to hear.

smithlane 15 May 22 09:25 PM

Ooh looking forward to this! Like you we love a good road trip so will be very interested in what you get up to, have a fab time!

floridafan101 16 May 22 02:36 PM

Thanks 😊 I’ve been reading your latest especially as hoping to spend some time in Philly in the way back to NYC. Great read btw!

scottish mama 22 May 22 11:29 PM

Ooh, so looking forward to reading this trip report! Hope you have a fab time :smile:

disjunkie 28 May 22 11:37 AM

Sounds a fab trip, looking forward to the report. We did Washington to Atlanta in 2019, with a couple of nights in pigeon forge for Dollywood which was fab.

Doing Philly to Dallas this year and will be stopping at Dubois and passing through Cleveland to get to Cedar point. We were also going to do Canada and US this year but thought the same as you, sticking to one country seemed less risky so changed it!

CrispyA 28 May 22 02:25 PM

Sounds great! We’ve been to quite a few of those places but all on different trips! Reports are in my signature if that helps

cornishfrogboy 28 May 22 02:31 PM

This looks a fab trip!

Really looking forward to the trip report.

ClaireNJ 28 May 22 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridafan101 (Post 15447874)
So it’s our 3rd time of booking and finally thinking this is it!
Rewind to 2020 we had fab cheap flights with BA from our local airport to Montreal. We had 3 weeks planned touring Canada and onto NYC. Everything was booked and the trip looked amazing. Then Covid put a stop to that. BA stopped flights from our local airport and have never restarted them ☹️. We hadn’t booked direct and had a nightmare getting money back but eventually all money was returned and I started looking for 2021.
This resulted in a different but no less exciting plan. Flying into NYC and out from LA and was going to include flights to Denver and then Yellowstone, SLC, Monument Valley, Las Vegas etc etc blah blah blah.
Guess what our flights home from LA were cancelled this time resulting in money returned. Less hassle and borders were still closed anyway so we were going nowhere.
Third time lucky. Flights to NYC £1,500 for 4 of us in August with luggage Aer Lingus going and BA returning booked directly with BA - I learned my lesson!
So where to go this time? No internal flights and no going into Canada as that just seemed too much potential for problems.
So….
3 nights NYC
1 night DuBois
1 night Cleveland
3 nights Chicago
2 nights St Louis
2 nights Memphis
3 nights Pigeon Forge
5 nights Carolina Beach
1 night Washington area

Yes it’s a hectic schedule but we are looong overdue an epic road trip.

Don’t know if anyone else has down a similar trip but interested to hear.

Sounds like a FAB trip
We went to Chicago at Easter absolutely loved it 🇺🇸❤️

sunshines 21 Jun 22 05:35 PM

Where is Dubois please? And tell us more -- why you chose those places to stop. What will you see/do?

We've been to NYC, Chicago, and Washington DC. North Carolina beaches when I was a child... and I think I may have driven through St. Louis on the way to somewhere, as I have some memory of seeing that arch, but it was ages and ages ago.

floridafan101 3 Jul 22 11:39 PM

DuBois is midway between New York and Cleveland. It’s near Punxsutawney if you love Groundhog Day😊. We stopped there on our way to Niagara.
We want to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
Chicago has been on the wish list for ages and I’m excited to see Graceland too.
My plans are pretty much sorted so will do an update with detail.