theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Best cruise line for Gluten Free options ? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1229557)

0-Town 5 Jul 22 11:24 AM

Best cruise line for Gluten Free options ?

Which of the main cruise lines cater for those cruisers who require Gluten Free food the best ?

I’m interested in hearing from peoples experiences with Cruise Lines such as RCCL , Carnival , NCL , Holland America and Princess.

Ladyshopper 5 Jul 22 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0-Town (Post 15523749)
Which of the main cruise lines cater for those cruisers who require Gluten Free food the best ?

I’m interested in hearing from peoples experiences with Cruise Lines such as RCCL , Carnival , NCL , Holland America and Princess.

All of them cater, but some are better than others!

Of the ones you've listed in your post, we've done Princess twice, and it was fairly good. We're doing NCL later this year.

I started a gluten free blog last year which is focussed on cruising, as I struggled to find info. I don't think I'm allowed to put a link on here, but if you want to know the website feel free to send me a private message.

Pooh Bear 5 Jul 22 04:43 PM

I’m also interested in finding this out as a newly diagnosed coeliac who has never cruised before. I’d love it if you’d send me your blog link, Ladyshopper, as any advice is gratefully appreciated, especially for eating out and going on holiday.

Ladyshopper 5 Jul 22 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooh Bear (Post 15524205)
I’m also interested in finding this out as a newly diagnosed coeliac who has never cruised before. I’d love it if you’d send me your blog link, Ladyshopper, as any advice is gratefully appreciated, especially for eating out and going on holiday.

No problem, will send you the link. :)

In general, I'd probably recommend a cruise over a land based holiday for gluten-free dining. They're not perfect, but then unless you go to a 100% gluten-free restaurant you're never going to find that, but they try really hard.

I do go into a lot of details on the blog, so you can see exactly how things were, what issues you may come across etc. I also have the added "complication" of being vegetarian as well as GF, whereas my husband eats meat and fish, so he often gets a better experience than I do just from a choice point of view.

We'd both been cruising for a long time prior to having to go GF, so already knew we love cruises as holidays. Now it's all about which ones cater best! Disney Cruise Line was outstanding, but their cruise prices are ridiculously expensive, so I'd rather do 2 or even 2 cruises for the price of a Disney one these days!

I just want to check (as you're newly diagnosed), have you heard of Becky Excell? She is an incredible GF blogger, and has now had 4 cookbooks published in the last year. If you haven't heard of her, have a quick google and you'll easily find her blog etc (and if you have heard of her, just ignore this last paragraph!).

Holidays may need a little bit more planning as a coeliac, but there are plenty of places out there that do actually cater, and do it pretty well too!

Pooh Bear 6 Jul 22 01:05 PM

Thanks so much! I’ve heard of Becky Excell, and have got her newest cookbook on pre-order. She’s brilliant, and way ahead of all the other coeliac cook books I’ve got, which all appear to be American.

2point 6 Jul 22 01:53 PM

I'd recommend speaking to your head server and higher. Sometimes they understand your needs, sometimes not quite so much (my wife has a nut allergy).

Not had a major issue on any line (Disney, RCCI, Cunard, P&O), but have had misunderstandings on all of them. Once raised at the right level.