theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Flight upgrade prices change? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1157532)

StitchOhana 13 Jan 20 09:45 AM

Flight upgrade prices change?

Hi Everyone,

I'm not a frequent flyer really, so was hoping someone here might know...

I'm flying with Virgin Atlantic from LGW - MCO - we have booked and paid for economy seats.

I checked last week at the price to upgrade the return flight to premium economy and told myself when i got home from work I'd do that.

Of course i forgot.

I checked again this morning and the price to upgrade has pretty much doubled!

Is it like normal flights where the price can fluctuate, or is it likely getting a busier flight and so it will only increase? Not sure whether to cut my losses and do economy delight + pay for an extra bag or hold out. I've got plenty of time, but I can see that the plane is filling up, and i don't want to miss out on two window seats in premium or the ability to actually get economy delight, as they're starting to go too.

munmun 13 Jan 20 10:25 AM

It's a case of supply and demand. As with standard flight prices as thrsmount of product dwindles prices will rise. If seats are available close to departure they will fall.

There may be other factors that make them rise like day of the week, searches for a particular flight, close to holiday period etc but those will be buisness secrets, some we will be able to work out some not.

Like other flight prices if you see a price that is good for you go for it.

ziggyzag 13 Jan 20 10:41 AM

I was looking at Virgin for upgrade to first class, it varies between 1300 to 4117 lol depending on day/time you look , I think, me thinking of an upgrade price of around a £100 is fantasy :pgig::pgig:

StitchOhana 13 Jan 20 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munmun (Post 14239296)
It's a case of supply and demand. As with standard flight prices as thrsmount of product dwindles prices will rise. If seats are available close to departure they will fall.

There may be other factors that make them rise like day of the week, searches for a particular flight, close to holiday period etc but those will be buisness secrets, some we will be able to work out some not.

Like other flight prices if you see a price that is good for you go for it.

OK, so maybe i won't give up just yet and keep an eye on it then!
Thank you :)

StitchOhana 13 Jan 20 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggyzag (Post 14239316)
I was looking at Virgin for upgrade to first class, it varies between 1300 to 4117 lol depending on day/time you look , I think, me thinking of an upgrade price of around a £100 is fantasy :pgig::pgig:

The DREAMMMM! I'd love to go first class but deff can't afford that!

chmurf 13 Jan 20 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StitchOhana (Post 14239336)
OK, so maybe i won't give up just yet and keep an eye on it then!

when it comes to air fares, the only thing that won't change in a matter of minutes, is the price of extra luggage. This one is set and duely available.

but fares and upgrades ... blink and they're gone.

but, as all things when planning, keep checking

you won't get that $100 upgrade, but you might get the price you saw and considered, as it might return

but ... just like a dining reservation, a car hire price, and so on, checking often is the only key to a good price

then, golden rule : if the price looks right, book straight away. By the time you've second guessed yourself, the price will be up and beyond affordability

Bradz 13 Jan 20 11:20 AM

I’ve been checking for the last couple of months for my flights MAN - MCO in July 2020.

Prices have gone as low as £150 last week and are currently £254 today. They are constantly changing

lorna_99 13 Jan 20 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggyzag (Post 14239316)

You and me both!
My upgrade fee is currently sitting at £1042 and has been that for a couple of weeks now... finger crossed for both of us there is a glitch and we get our bargain

johnb 13 Jan 20 12:09 PM

How do you find out online how much it costs to upgrade? I have booked direct with VA, but can't see an upgrade price on my booking.

Bradz 13 Jan 20 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnb (Post 14239446)
How do you find out online how much it costs to upgrade? I have booked direct with VA, but can't see an upgrade price on my booking.

I’ve downloaded the ‘Virgin Atlantic’ app and it says it on the home screen ‘fancy an upgrade?’ and gives you the price