theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   TV and Film (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1917 (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1157351)

stecee 11 Jan 20 08:33 PM

Been to watch this, this afternoon. The story, acting and cinematography are superb, there are several moments in the film where I was spellbound by the action.
It’s not a Saving Private Ryan type of film, so if you go to see it, don’t go expecting that. Its very moving in places and is always gripping, the 2 hours flew by.
It’s definitely recommended.

disney332 11 Jan 20 09:07 PM

Its on my list...

Disney332

Loftus 11 Jan 20 09:10 PM

Very good, if not as good as some of the reviews I read (in my opinion obviously). It got a bit Call of Duty for me at one point. I think the one shot idea was a bit stretched in places. Definitely worth a watch though.

Saratoska 11 Jan 20 09:16 PM

I took my dad and we felt so sick during and afterwards , my dh and ds were fine
Wondering if it was the type of film as in you meant to think you are travelling with them but like travel sickness

Mr Tom Morrow 11 Jan 20 09:24 PM

It’s not my Wife’s type of viewing actually but she has agreed to see it next week

Has to be Tuesday or Wednesday to get the Meerkat code!

I have been waiting for this film for ages since I read the pre release reviews.:)

ERICSMUM 11 Jan 20 09:36 PM

I can’t remember the last time I went to the cinema but Im tempted to see this.

I’m interested because I’m researching our family tree and I’ve found that at least 3 of my great uncles were killed in action at Ypres, the Somme etc in WW1. They were brothers of my granny or grandad but I can’t remember them ever talking about those poor men.

Bootrip2 11 Jan 20 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM (Post 14237317)
I can’t remember the last time I went to the cinema but Im tempted to see this.

I’m interested because I’m researching our family tree and I’ve found that at least 3 of my great uncles were killed in action at Ypres, the Somme etc in WW1. They were brothers of my granny or grandad but I can’t remember them ever talking about those poor men.

Its such a sad time and i would imagine affected every family. We started our family tree a while ago but stopped due to other circumstances, but i find the whole family hostory intruiging. My nans brother died at Arras.

I hope to see the film, DH watching it first with his son.

stecee 11 Jan 20 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftus (Post 14237267)
Very good, if not as good as some of the reviews I read (in my opinion obviously). It got a bit Call of Duty for me at one point. I think the one shot idea was a bit stretched in places. Definitely worth a watch though.

I’m trying to think of the part you are referring to re call of duty, but I can’t. I thought the one shot worked really well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saratoska (Post 14237278)
I took my dad and we felt so sick during and afterwards , my dh and ds were fine
Wondering if it was the type of film as in you meant to think you are travelling with them but like travel sickness

My wife was a bit worried the one shot would effect her, it didn’t. I thought it was really well done.

littlelish0544 11 Jan 20 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saratoska (Post 14237278)

Is it lots of wibbly camera shots then? Like seeing through the eyes of someone there? I cant watch even the shortest of scenes like this without feeling motion sickness type feelings, so if this is the case for this film, dh will have to get someone else to go with him.

Loftus 11 Jan 20 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stecee (Post 14237414)
I’m trying to think of the part you are referring to re call of duty, but I can’t. I thought the one shot worked really well.

For the majority it was very good, I just couldn't help wondering if it became a bit of a conceit though. Very tense at times and captured the horror of the war in the early parts.

The part I was referring to was in the town.