theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Grrrrrr someone trying to hack my accounts (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1140958)

sparkes12 11 Aug 19 02:25 PM

Grrrrrr someone trying to hack my accounts

So annoyed someone seems to have my email details and is tying to hack my accounts ebay,Amazon ect...
So far had password request changes for ebay 3 gaming accounts and most worrying on amazon they have managed to change my account from my email to there email address .Amazon were rubbish when I called them saying 24-48 hours to sort out.
Makes you think when this happens just how many things I have linked to my debit card.
God knows how they did it.

Mexy02 11 Aug 19 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkes12 (Post 14008932)
So annoyed someone seems to have my email details and is tying to hack my accounts ebay,Amazon ect...
So far had password request changes for ebay 3 gaming accounts and most worrying on amazon they have managed to change my account from my email to there email address .Amazon were rubbish when I called them saying 24-48 hours to sort out.
Makes you think when this happens just how many things I have linked to my debit card.
God knows how they did it.

Had mine done last week whole away , suddenly lost access to my emails then when I got home found numerous purchases on the Xbox who I am now in dispute with and I have extra security set up so gd only knows how they got through that . More than annoyed and I’m still sort g out accounts etc after a week.

KeithOP 11 Aug 19 02:45 PM

it's horrendous it really is and I think everyone is just resigned to it happening and sorting out the consequences because it's so difficult to actually track down but because of that I guess people feel like they'll never be caught :(

Normally it turns out to be that you've used the same passwords on multiple sites and one of them has been hacked. Most hacks aren't reported and the ones that are say re-assuring things like "everything was encrypted" but that's not always true and doesn't always mean that passwords are safe.

I hope I can post it here because it's a very useful, if scary, site. If you go here and type in your email address, you'll see how many hacks have leaked your details. If you then consider how many places you've used the same password on... Remember, these are only the large reported hacks, they don't include the smaller sites that may have leaked your details or the unreported hacks...

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Nothing is totally safe sadly :( but most people these days suggest using a long password made up out of words you can remember Cherry18Koala&Pepsi (or whatever) and a different one for every site. A password manager like 1password will help with this and of course, turning on two factor authentication adds a useful layer.

We're seeing a lot more attempts on accounts using TEXT verification recently too.. number porting scams trying to get your phone number so they can bypass texting checks etc. so an additional authentication check app on your phone may be a better way to go (google authenticator, microsoft auth. etc.)

It's an awful feeling though :( I really wish more could be done to bring the scammers to justice

Kat11 11 Aug 19 02:57 PM

I had my Spotify account hacked a few months ago but didn’t realise until my dd tried to use it on my phone last week. I’d got an email back in May saying my email address had been changed to pedro432 and I thought it was a scam email so ignored it! (As so many emails are scams) Turns out that some French dude has been listing to French music on my account for months! Spotify were great and sorted it straight away once I told them.

My family laughed and have been calling me Pedro ever since! 😂 well at least someone was getting the use out of it for a while since I clearly don’t!

In all seriousness, It is very frightening to think that some people can do this! 😡 and how easy it seems to be.

Kat

Leyfy 11 Aug 19 03:06 PM

Yeah I’ve had a lot of it recently due to the myfitnesspal breach. I am slowly phasing out that email address (nothing that has my credit card details linked to it now uses that email address).

Someone managed to get into my Netflix account and watched four seasons of an Asian soap opera before I woke up (this was about 4am) and got the email from netflix saying I’d logged in from an ‘unusual’ location 😡😡

madasahat 11 Aug 19 03:18 PM

make sure you turn on 2 factor authentication on all accounts that support it that helps stop them

not2old4disney 11 Aug 19 04:28 PM

I had this last week too - only thing linked to any kind of payment card that was compromised was eBay but thankfully I was on the app when it happened so it kicked me out and wouldn't let me log back in so got it all re set very quickly. Email had to be re set and a few other accounts I have too - only thing I have been unsuccessful in sorting so far is instagram :mad2: i'm really not happy with them and they don't seem to be bothered at all - my account was used for my original artwork ( I do drawings) and although they changed the email, username, password etc nothing has been done with the account, it still has me as the profile picture but I now have zero access and someone else's name against my work :mad2:

The email address associated with all my compromised accounts is the same one I used for myfitnesspal but none of the passwords were the same. Hope everyone that has been affected manages to get it sorted.

Mexy02 11 Aug 19 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madasahat (Post 14009051)
make sure you turn on 2 factor authentication on all accounts that support it that helps stop them

I had this on my Microsoft account but they still managed to spend on it :mad: I’m fuming with Microsoft as they are more than useless so now I’m in dispute with them and removed all means of any payment of all sites .

I also checked the hacked website but nothing is showing .

Beccleberry 11 Aug 19 06:21 PM

Someone did my Netflix on my birthday! Thankfully managed to get it stopped quickly, and then sat and went through all my accounts and changed my passwords just in case!

BarrettFamily 11 Aug 19 07:18 PM

We were done about 2 weeks ago. Hacked our Steam account and some how managed to get into one of our email accounts and deleted all the emails. I’ve since had 2 demands for Bitcoins. I’ve changed all our passwords and I’m keeping an eye on the bank. Very annoying.