theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Shall we go, or not? A last minute trip! Pre-travel and travel day (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1164023)

Lizzim 11 Mar 20 08:15 PM

Shall we go, or not? A last minute trip! Pre-travel and travel day

21 Feb

This morning was our last day working (from home) before our trip started. I got up at 0600 and put on the first load of washing before having breakfast.

We started work at around 7 and managed to get everything (including a couple more loads of washing) done by 1300. Then before we could leave we cleaned the house, did all of the ironing and then packed our bags.

We left the house around 1730 and made good time on our drive to Gatwick. We parked in the Long Stay car park and took the bus to the terminal.

We did Twilight Check in before buying some food (I got a sandwich and Rob a pasty) before going across to the Hilton (paid for using points) for the night.

22 Feb

This morning we woke up about 0700 and showered etc. We checked out of our room and headed across to North terminal. Security was fast but the terminal was really busy. In the end we got breakfast from somewhere completely unremarkable (can’t remember the name and forgot photos). We should have just got a sandwich from Pret as even the coffee was pretty rubbish.

We boarded just after 0900 and it took an age to actually take off. The flight time was scheduled to take 9hr36 and it took every minute of that time :( The food and entertainment was fine, we got a ‘randoms’ ice lolly instead of the fab which has been the trend.

We arrived in Orlando at almost the exact time as the Manchester flight (which happened to be the Falcon) and were held for a couple of minutes as a passenger needed medical attention.

We got into the hall ahead of most of the Manchester flight but immigration still took around an hour :(

Weirdly, our immigration officer didn’t ask us any questions – just took our photos, stamped our passports and let us through.

Thankfully our bags were waiting for us and having skipped the Alamo queue we literally walked across to the garage and drove straight out.

It was an easy drive to the hotel (Rosen Shingle Creek) where we checked in and then headed straight across the road to NYPD pizza for dinner.

We also got a few drinks and snacks for the room from Publix before going to bed at around 2100.

Bootrip2 11 Mar 20 09:00 PM

Love a last minute trip! Reading along. X

mick 11 Mar 20 10:17 PM

A great start looking forward to reading along :spin:

Joan:wave:

Lizzim 11 Mar 20 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 (Post 14329393)
Love a last minute trip! Reading along. X

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 14329559)
A great start looking forward to reading along :spin:

Joan:wave:

I’ll try and get the first real day up tomorrow :)

Scotty 12 Mar 20 05:29 PM

Love NYPD Pizza, we flew home on 21st, it was really quick (and bumpy) due to a tail wind so not surprised you took the full 9.5 hrs.

Lizzim 12 Mar 20 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty (Post 14331129)
Love NYPD Pizza, we flew home on 21st, it was really quick (and bumpy) due to a tail wind so not surprised you took the full 9.5 hrs.

Yeah, it wouldn’t have been as bad if it didn’t take so long to taxi etc...

Sparksy72 12 Mar 20 07:47 PM

What a great start to your trip. That pizza is massive! :D

Holiday time 12 Mar 20 07:59 PM

Sounds like a good travel day although 9hrs 36 minutes is the longest I have ever heard the flight taking. You could almost have been in California!

Have a great holiday!

Lizzim 12 Mar 20 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 (Post 14331434)
What a great start to your trip. That pizza is massive! :D

I think it was only a 14 inch :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holiday time (Post 14331463)
Sounds like a good travel day although 9hrs 36 minutes is the longest I have ever heard the flight taking. You could almost have been in California!

Have a great holiday!

Yeah it was definitely long!

sheluk 12 Mar 20 09:39 PM

That does sound like a long flight and immigration queue after & how funny at the lack of grilling from the officer.

Can’t wait to read more :)