theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   New puppy.. (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1209553)

Daisy_Do_72 3 Dec 21 10:16 PM

New puppy..

Lost our lovely choc lab In Sept 2020, she was 14. The most amazing dog. She was with me through the passing of both my parents and ≈≈≈≈≈≈ divorce. We walked miles together and I loved her. I still miss her now today.
I have a daughter who is struggling with some mental health issues and I’ve piled the weight on trying to be the family rock.
So, I’ve decided to get a puppy! A golden lab, it’s ready to leave its mum in Xmas Eve.
I’m excited but nervous and we are keeping it a secret from the children.
We do have a 4 yr old cockapoo so I’m
Hoping that will be a big help, with training etc..
Has anyone had a puppy on Xmas eve? Any advice?
Some people that sell pups say it will come with a blanket with mums scent on., but ours does not offer that, but I could drop off a blanket now and ask for that, but I’m not sure if it will make any difference.
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

mollybogle 3 Dec 21 10:37 PM

We were given a toy and a blanket for Leia our setter she wasn’t bothered about it. I stayed with her the first night I think having another dog will help. She settled in pretty well with my parents westie. They got Holly on the 23rd of December 5 years ago. She was typical westie though settled in no bother. Still young enough to not bother the tree to often

Eeyore14 3 Dec 21 11:35 PM

Ours wasn’t too bothered about the blanket either, but he loved an oversized T-shirt that dd wore to bed for a few days before he arrived we then cut it into large squares and he would snuggle up on that when he went to bed. It was also easy to replace when it got too worn and dirty. Enjoy your new puppy x

JLH 4 Dec 21 08:18 AM

How lovely for you . I lost my lovely dog this year after 17 years and I still miss him. My boys wanted to buy me another for Christmas but still not quite ready for it yet but I will read the tips given incase I do ever change my mind. Your children will think that’s the best present x

Loopylooloo 4 Dec 21 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollybogle (Post 15234244)
We were given a toy and a blanket for Leia our setter she wasn’t bothered about it. I stayed with her the first night I think having another dog will help. She settled in pretty well with my parents westie. They got Holly on the 23rd of December 5 years ago. She was typical westie though settled in no bother. Still young enough to not bother the tree to often

Leia looks beautiful! Our pups mum was setter and he is such a lovely dog. OP congratulations on your new addition, enjoy x

Welsh_Dragon 4 Dec 21 08:43 AM

Perhaps take a blanket with you and ask the breeders to rub the mother down with it when you pick up the puppy. Also, at home, set up a crate in a quiet place so that the puppy has a safe space and is not overwhelmed by the busyness of Christmas. It is most unusual for a responsible breeder to release a puppy on Christmas Eve. It would be a red flag to me, so be careful.

Princess Ariel 4 Dec 21 09:43 AM

I second the blanket idea, we did this and willow has slept through the night since we got her! I can imagine life with a cockapoo (we have one) and a lab puppy will be lots of fun!

jojos 4 Dec 21 11:44 AM

We have a 12 week old cocker spaniel and I think a blanket with Mum’s scent on is a good idea, we left one with the breeder before we picked Juno up.
Good luck!

MonkeyNut 4 Dec 21 11:53 AM

Our girls is 3 and still sleeps with her blanket from her mum ❤️

I’d recommend a crate with bed, toys and feed treats in it to give puppy own space over the busy Christmas period and to give your older dog a break from puppy mithering.

Fairy Nuff 4 Dec 21 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon (Post 15234422)
Perhaps take a blanket with you and ask the breeders to rub the mother down with it when you pick up the puppy. Also, at home, set up a crate in a quiet place so that the puppy has a safe space and is not overwhelmed by the busyness of Christmas. It is most unusual for a responsible breeder to release a puppy on Christmas Eve. It would be a red flag to me, so be careful.

This is what alarmed me too!