theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Change at Atlanta (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1180724)

Taffy1959 25 Sep 20 03:01 PM

We had a 2 hour connection in Atlanta 4 years ago and as soon as we walked into the immigration hall I knew we wouldn’t make our connection.
It was packed our flight to Orlando was boarding as we left immigration then there was a hold up at security and only one desk open.
We got to our gate and the plane was just starting to push back.
We just about managed to get on another flight 2 hours later.
I wouldn’t do it with less than 3 hours.

sam7 25 Sep 20 03:11 PM

We went via Atlanta in 2018 - first time we have flown indirect. As you possibly know you know to complete immigration there. Lots of staff are on hand to direct you to the right place and you no longer need to fill in those awful forms on the plane, you then need to collect your case and go through security, you drop your cases off immediately after this and head to your gate. We managed to go from our plane to the gate in about 45 minutes. It was very easy and straight forward to navigate the airport.

What you do need to bear in mind though is if your flight is delayed taking off from the UK, or lots of planes arrive at once. I personally would spend my whole flight worrying.
However if you do buy your ticket as a through one you will be put on the next available flight (not necessarily the next one leaving) to Orlando, and there are usually 1 or 2 leaving every hour (do consider if you are going soon the number of flights might be limited till demand picks up again)

1RGJ 25 Sep 20 03:13 PM

Absolutely, we did it in less time than that, with time to spare

MENTALMUM 25 Sep 20 07:10 PM

Thanks everyone, I have booked direct, my son in law however has booked different flights via Atlanta with the 1 hour 50 minute stopover. I really didn't want to risk it so took the more expensive direct route.

Bozza 25 Sep 20 07:54 PM

If you are an early-ish flight out of LHR, I'd not be worried in the slightest, as there will be a lot of flights after yours down to MCO, should the worst happen.

mitch-fishguard 26 Sep 20 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam7 (Post 14659240)
We went via Atlanta in 2018 - first time we have flown indirect. As you possibly know you know to complete immigration there. Lots of staff are on hand to direct you to the right place and you no longer need to fill in those awful forms on the plane, you then need to collect your case and go through security, you drop your cases off immediately after this and head to your gate. We managed to go from our plane to the gate in about 45 minutes. It was very easy and straight forward to navigate the airport.

What you do need to bear in mind though is if your flight is delayed taking off from the UK, or lots of planes arrive at once. I personally would spend my whole flight worrying.
However if you do buy your ticket as a through one you will be put on the next available flight (not necessarily the next one leaving) to Orlando, and there are usually 1 or 2 leaving every hour (do consider if you are going soon the number of flights might be limited till demand picks up again)

It was going through the US security in atlanta that did for us. Missed flight and spent all holiday thinking of the return connection. Direct or 3 to 4hours from now on

BevS97 26 Sep 20 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess104 (Post 14659132)
It's plenty of time, we did it with 45 minutes and that was with 2 children age 4 and 7 and grandparents due to flight been changed from MCO to Atlanta. Crew on MCO flight were brilliant found out what gate we needed and it was straight off the plane on the train to the right terminal and straight onto plane. No need to collect bags or go through immigration, it does sound like that may have changed now but we didn't and if we had flown this year flight was altered and thing we was down to an hour.

It depends if you are arriving or leaving. It sounds like you were on your way home so no immigration. On your way into the USA you will have to do immigration unless you are flying from Dublin.

We have been through Atlanta, It’s absolutely fine and I would do it again but I’d want longer than 1 45. There are plenty of restaurants so I’d go for 3+ hours and get something to eat if we are through quickly.

Taffy1959 26 Sep 20 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch-fishguard (Post 14659855)
It was going through the US security in atlanta that did for us. Missed flight and spent all holiday thinking of the return connection. Direct or 3 to 4hours from now on

We were the same.
The line we were sent to was huge and only 2 immigration officers on then 1 went off and it was ages before anyone replaced him.
They got someone else on too but then he kept getting out of his booth and going to chat with 1 of the other officers about football.
We were lucky to have a direct flight home

JamesL 26 Sep 20 09:30 AM

We like to leave at least 4 hours. it makes the queue for immigration much more relaxed and also gives us a chance to have a meal at the airport before we board the plane for MCO.

Mrs Red C 26 Sep 20 06:04 PM

Atlanta really stresses me out, we had a 3 hr layover.
We were delayed by an hour, then it was over 1.5 hours to get through immigration itself. Then was security with suitcase, all hideous especially as onward flight to MCO was delayed with thunder storms near MCO.
For some reason 2 of us out of 3 couldn't board as issue with our tickets! Plane took 45mins to board, we were eventually the last 2 to get on, problem being we were still registered as being at LHR, god knows why?!?!

Wouldn't fly via Atlanta again given a choice, terrible staffing.