theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Where do you buy birthday cakes? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1177118)

Sandra & co 21 Jul 20 04:29 PM

Where do you buy birthday cakes?

Hi I want a super fabulous cake for my dds 18th birthday, we have had so many from M&S and Waitrose. We had a lovely one from Patesserie Valerie but they have hardly any choice now. I have emailed a local shop to see if they can make one, I don’t want to spend more than about £60, any ideas. Dd is talking about making her own! :omg:

djewkes 21 Jul 20 04:44 PM

I’d ask friends or family for recommendations... or the local Fb group... there’s always somebody who knows somebody...

Bianca 21 Jul 20 04:44 PM

Yeah, Colin won't always cut it!

We've said many times, we wish that really good bakeries/patisseries were more common over here like in some European countries and in the States.

Have you looked at Betty's website? Their stuff is usually reliably tasty.

Sandra & co 21 Jul 20 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bianca (Post 14584602)
Yeah, Colin won't always cut it!

We've said many times, we wish that really good bakeries/patisseries were more common over here like in some European countries and in the States.

Have you looked at Betty's website? Their stuff is usually reliably tasty.

My daughter said get me Colin from M&S and then said don’t I hate Colin! :D

jndt 21 Jul 20 04:53 PM

To be honest we get ours from Costco! My oldest son is 18 next month and I wanted to get him a special cake made but he has his heart set on a red velvet cake from Costco!

Bianca 21 Jul 20 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandra & co (Post 14584604)
My daughter said get me Colin from M&S and then said don’t I hate Colin! :D

:pgig::pgig:

mskitty 21 Jul 20 04:57 PM

Costco for us if we don't want to spend lots and a local baker for special occasions (she charges around £70 for a good size decorated cake)

Guest 21 Jul 20 05:02 PM

I don't have any recommendations I am afraid. My preferenece in the current climate would be for a commercially made one.

My query is about Waitrose. I was just about to order an 80th birthday cake from there. Are they any good or moving away because you are just up for something different for a change?

Sandra & co 21 Jul 20 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales (Post 14584625)
I don't have any recommendations I am afraid. My preferenece in the current climate would be for a commercially made one.

My query is about Waitrose. I was just about to order an 80th birthday cake from there. Are they any good or moving away because you are just up for something different for a change?

We just got my fil the potting shed which was lovely but we’ve had most of them for various birthdays and wanted something different :)

Mqt 21 Jul 20 05:10 PM

The M & S to order range are nice. They will personalise too.