theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   M&S Food (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1197046)

Lisa123wm 12 Jun 21 08:02 PM

M&S Food

I’ve always liked M&S food, but have only shopped there occasionally due to logistics and cost for a family of 5.
However, a new M&S store with food hall has recently opened nearby and we popped there today to get some bits for a nice cold ready to eat meal for the two of us.
Everything was delicious and worth the little extra cost.
I know some say that their food is produced at the same factory as other supermarkets etc, but I can honestly say, we could taste the difference to Tesco and Sainsbury’s where we usually shop.

Anyone else think there’s a difference?

I know Mr T shops there too and rates their food 👍

Rozzyb2011 12 Jun 21 08:03 PM

Totally agree, M&S food is superior and we shop there for special occasion meals

lovedisney 12 Jun 21 08:06 PM

I agree, and they always seem to come up with new ideas for dinners which I love, our local store has a fresh sushi bar which we had as a treat for dinner tonight, it was delicious

Mr Tom Morrow 12 Jun 21 08:06 PM

Someone mentioned me! We shop there every week but I’m a bone idle cook so use a lot of their prepared stuff. Always good quality and not as expensive as people think.

For some reason we have seen our bills drop a bit and they are circa £52 a week now whereas they were a lot more.

That doesn’t include any booze mind.

Sandra & co 12 Jun 21 08:07 PM

I love their ready made pastas, the prawn one and mushroom one are delicious. Dh loves all their cakes and buys all sorts in there, I can’t think of anything I don’t like. Dh got £75 marks voucher for Christmas and we spent it on food! :D

megaflyer 12 Jun 21 08:07 PM

M&S food is defiantly superior to say Waitrose or Sainsbury

AS I have said before I worked in a pea processing paint (many years ago as a student ) and M&S we’re the only company to order the top grade peas and even thou processed in same factory they employed double the people on the pea belt. I worked in the lab and to grade AAA peas was rare - M&S had the lot no matter how many or few.

My friends family also own a bakery that makes Battenberg and she said the recipe for M&S is different from all the others (and she only buys food from thier food halls)

Scotsmomma2 12 Jun 21 08:08 PM

We shop more at M&S these days than anywhere..I think the quality is way better,to be honest just being the 2 of us I don't really think their pricing is too bad.

Mr Tom Morrow 12 Jun 21 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megaflyer (Post 15005222)
M&S food is defiantly superior to say Waitrose or Sainsbury

AS I have said before I worked in a pea processing paint (many years ago as a student ) and M&S we’re the only company to order the top grade peas and even thou processed in same factory they employed double the people on the pea belt. I worked in the lab and to grade AAA peas was rare - M&S had the lot no matter how many or few.

My friends family also own a bakery that makes Battenberg and she said the recipe for M&S is different from all the others (and she only buys food from thier food halls)

Mmm, M and S Battenberg. Lovely, better than the others.

However the biggest mistake Marksys made was ditching Avana Bakeries in Cardiff as their cake supplier. They are still good but not like they were.

I can still taste that Walnut cake. :)

sky13 12 Jun 21 08:14 PM

I absolutely love M&S food, and being able to shop there regularly is one thing I really miss about living in the UK!

I'm not sure about tasting the difference but I remember almost always getting perfect fruit from M&S (compared to Sainsbury's/Tesco) - pears were always juicy and clementines were never sour!

(We have M&S where I am, but at a ridiculous markup, so I only get to buy it as a treat these days... As an example one of those tubs of chocolate cornflake clusters sells for more than £6 here, or two for a bit over £10! And a bag of milk chocolatey caramels are about £2.50. Don't get me started on the seasonal things that appear around Christmas! I really love browsing the M&S food hall though...)

Scotsmomma2 12 Jun 21 08:14 PM

Last few weeks we've had some nice freebies from our Sparks card😋