theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   LA car hire advice (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1201568)

Vertigo 13 Aug 21 02:58 PM

LA car hire advice

We have a car for our full trip (if we actually get there, but that’s another thread altogether!)

We start in San Diego and have free parking at our hotel. So no problem there

We then drive to the Garland Hotel and to be honest, we don’t need the car for the 4 days we have there as transport to Universal looks easy and we are happy to take public transport downtown and to the beaches. Driving and parking do not look pleasant!

Plus Parking is a shocking $33 plus tax per night so that’s the best part of £150 for a car to sit there. Seems a terrible waste.

We do need the car after as we drive to Anaheim and have free parking there.

So, is there any advice on what to do with the car for the time at the Garland? For example cheaper parking nearby?

berneslai 13 Aug 21 03:32 PM

Always worthwhile checking this:

https://en.parkopedia.com/parking/no...g=202108131000

skalexander 13 Aug 21 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo (Post 15097194)
We have a car for our full trip (if we actually get there, but that’s another thread altogether!)

We start in San Diego and have free parking at our hotel. So no problem there

We then drive to the Garland Hotel and to be honest, we don’t need the car for the 4 days we have there as transport to Universal looks easy and we are happy to take public transport downtown and to the beaches. Driving and parking do not look pleasant!

Plus Parking is a shocking $33 plus tax per night so that’s the best part of £150 for a car to sit there. Seems a terrible waste.

We do need the car after as we drive to Anaheim and have free parking there.

So, is there any advice on what to do with the car for the time at the Garland? For example cheaper parking nearby?

Can you rejig your hotels, so you do Anaheim first, and then return the car and head to Garland? I agree it’s a lot of money for the car to sit there, plus 4 days rental charges.

Vertigo 13 Aug 21 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berneslai (Post 15097226)

Thanks, that is something to look at nearer the time.

Vertigo 13 Aug 21 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skalexander (Post 15097227)
Can you rejig your hotels, so you do Anaheim first, and then return the car and head to Garland? I agree it’s a lot of money for the car to sit there, plus 4 days rental charges.

Unfortunately not. It would make sense though and then we could Uber to LAX for home easy enough.

I won’t bore you with the reasons, but we have to finish in Anaheim.

Ils 14 Aug 21 07:51 AM

If your reason to end in Anaheim is like the one the wife has tasked me with, although logistically it doesn't make any sense. It is something to do with a mouse.

Vertigo 14 Aug 21 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ils (Post 15097863)
If your reason to end in Anaheim is like the one the wife has tasked me with, although logistically it doesn't make any sense. It is something to do with a mouse.

Almost.

It’s DD15.

So the reason I wasn’t going to bore you with, I now will…

She insisted on Disney being at the end as when we went to Canada, our first day was at Canada’s wonderland and she complained that by the time we were going home - after all the cool things we did - she forgot all about Canada wonderland so Disneyland has to be at the end so not to “spoil” any memory of Disneyland.

But as you and SKalexander quite rightly say, it would make much more sense to rejig

Ideally as we fly in to San Diego, after our 4 days there we would drive to Anaheim for Disney.

Then drive and dump the car in LA and use public transport for our final 4 days as we fly back from LAX

But no. I only pay for the holidays…